MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Buying Peitta Cap & Ball Online?

Buying Peitta Cap & Ball Online?

Sorry if this has been beat to death, but would you buy an Italian BP revolver online, without checking function and finish? I get that most places will take the return but I want to avoid the "contact the manufacture" scenario..... I think they have come a long way since I goofed around with them 15-18yrs ago but I have not handled any of the new stuff either.

If it was new, and one from a reputable company, I'd do it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I bought mine on line at least 5 years ago, from Cabela's I believe. There was an issue with the action, Pietta sent me a new hand. In the meantime I had tweaked the spring. Now I have a spare.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned
    I have one that I purchased new many years ago and it's fine.

While I don't think you'll run into problems returning a bad one to a reputable retailer, you might run into problems if THEY don't have a replacement.

The good news is they are very simple firearms and you can often repair minor problems if you encounter any.

Go for it! Pietta is much improved from 15 years ago when Uberti was the "always reliable" and Pietta was known for occasional defects. Today it's a toss-up for good quality. If still nervous, before you buy ask about their return/warranty policy, and then let your intellect guide you.

DG

Thank You Gents, the friendly push I needed to talk myself into it...... Work is a beast, getting the time to go visit during store hours is a tough one, so we will proceed this way.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I just purchased a new in the box Pietta from a member here who had purchased it from Cabelas - an excellent revolver - great fit and finish. My "herd" includes a combination of both Uberit and Pietta - four of 'em are Pietta and all are great revolvers. I have purchased a number of both Uberti and Pietta on-line - every one of them has been well made, excellent fit and finish and function fine right out of the box. Go for it . . . it's hard to find any of them in stock - the Italians got hit hard by Covid and I'm guessing it will be a while before supply and imports catch up to the demand - like everything else.

Boolit Master

Cabelas will not ship them anymore you must pick up in store.

Boolit Master
    cap and ball pistols are pretty simple. I don't think there is a whole lot to go wrong with them. the first one I got my buddy at the gun shop gave me for $25 because there was something wrong with it. I ordered all new springs and stuff for it, when the parts arrived I took it apart it turned out one of the springs was upside down. it still works great to this day. but can't seem too get it cleaned and oiled enough to stop corrosion. but that may be that ive used Pyrodex in it.

Boolit Master

I bought pieta an UberTi cimaaron all the time