Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the .300 BLK the Ultimate.....

Is the .300 BLK the Ultimate.....

Caliber for casting in the AR-15 platform ? Just a thought but looking through the various mold makers theirs more variety of .309-310 molds then just about everything else. Wanna RN Boolit , theirs like 50 options, wanna FN ? Even more , HP for hunting? Awhole lot ! Not to mention you can run the gamit if weights from like 110 all the way too 300 grains if I remember correctly. No to mention your usually shooting .300blk sub sonic anyhow so your already in that " happy spot" (1500fps and lower)for cast Boolits. It dosent use a ton of powder either. I mean if your just trying to do "average " cast shooting activities ( plinking, killing cans hunting @100yd and under) seems like it's one of the best options for casting in the AR platform. What do y'all think ? Again on the AR platform
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

It's close. However getting an AR to run with cast boolits can sometimes be a challenge.

I also like 350 Legend and 7.62x39.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

I have heard of 247 grain in the 300 BLK. Not aware of anything as heavy a 300 grain.

For plinking, killing cans, hunting @100yd and under I like my .458 SOCOM.

I do not own a 300 BLK.

https://forum.castbulletassoc.org/th...-300-blackout/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I love the 300 blk I have a 16” upper a 8.5” upper on a pistol and a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300blk it took me a lot of bullets to get one to feed(super tight throats) but once I did I shoot it a lot, I use the NOE 310-225 with lilgun and the HTC 310-130gc for my supers with H110 for around 220-2300fps.

When we travel I keep my 8.5” pistol in my trunk loaded with 4 different ammo in 4 different mags. You never know what may happen
    Attachment 279621
    Last edited by WinchesterM1; 03-14-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    I love the 300 blk I have a 16” upper a 8.5” upper on a pistol and a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300blk it took me a lot of bullets to get one to feed(super tight throats) but once I did I shoot it a lot, I use the NOE 310-225 with lilgun and the HTC 310-130gc for my supers with H110 for around 220-2300fps.

When we travel I keep my 8.5” pistol in my trunk loaded with 4 different ammo in 4 different mags. You never know what may happen
    Attachment 279621
    Gotta ask - #1) why in the trunk?
    #2) why separate mags?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My 300BLK eats anything I have a .30 mold for. The worst accuracy I've gotten is 3 inches at 100 yards and that was in the initial stages of load development. The lightest I shoot is 115 gr. My heaviest is 247 Gr.

The great thing is brass can be formed from 223 brass

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t own an AR so I don’t have a dog in this fight, but from some of my friends that are into the tacti-cool scene, 300 HAM’R is where it’s at. Several of them went so far as to say they wouldn’t have ever gotten the BLK if the HAM’R had been around at the time. So, no 300BLK is not the ultimate cast AR caliber.

I’ve heard good things about the 458 SOCOM, and I like the fact that the 10rd magazine is a standard sized AR mag. I bet everyone in the liberal strongholds love it for the same reason.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I wanted a cast bullet AR, I would want the .358 based on the .223 case, not the .350 Legend.

The .300 BO has one issue....it can be chambered in a .223 gun and the result is unpleasant. One mistake is all it takes.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    I don’t own an AR so I don’t have a dog in this fight, but from some of my friends that are into the tacti-cool scene, 300 HAM’R is where it’s at. Several of them went so far as to say they wouldn’t have ever gotten the BLK if the HAM’R had been around at the time. So, no 300BLK is not the ultimate cast AR caliber.

I’ve heard good things about the 458 SOCOM, and I like the fact that the 10rd magazine is a standard sized AR mag. I bet everyone in the liberal strongholds love it for the same reason.
    I have no interest in the 300 HAMA'R. Everyone has there own intrest. I shoot the 300/221 in an encore and Contender with the case being made from 357max. I use 1/10 twist barrells. Eventually I want a 1/12 twist barrel for my AR. I dont like the fast twist barrells

Boolit Grand Master

The 300 HAM’R's case is about .23 longer than the 300 BLK. That will limit your length of bullets. Most of the heavies will be a single shot only. As a hunting round with 150 grain bullets the 300 HAM’R has advantages. For heavier bullets and suppressed the 300 BLK has significant advantages over the 300 HAM’R.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...the-300-Ham-r-!!!
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    the only gun I ever got and after using it a bit said to myself, why what a waste of time, effort and money putting that thing together. I have no use or interest in subsonic, the 300 HAMR looks interesting but I aint going there either, already got a 6.8 in an ar that will put down whatever one of those bullets might hit.
    but variety is the spice of life, whatever floats your boat, everyone has different wants, needs and desires

Boolit Master

I like the blackout. Getting an AR to cycle is not an issue at all unless you are fooling with subs and a can and then it isn't that tough. Plenty of info on it. If you load it in to a .223 as mentioned well that's Darwinism in action. Just my opinion.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The 300 HAM’R's case is about .23 longer than the 300 BLK. That will limit you to length of bullets. As a hunting round with 150 grain bullets the 300 HAM’R has advantages. For heavier bullets and suppressed the 300 BLK has significant advantages over the 300 HAM’R.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...the-300-Ham-r-!!!
    Those are good points, and it does make sense that 300BLK will afford one more choice in boolit selection.

Boolit Master
    from what ive read one of the key aspects to the HAMR is the twist rate, you cannot just rechamber a blackout and get HAMR performance. because of the twist rate I would think the HAMR would be an ideal platform for cast bullets

Boolit Man
    I had a 300BLK and it was a headache. Just could never get it to run right. Got rid of it when it was the in thing and made back all I had into it plus a few bucks. Put that into a 50 Beowulf and never have had any reason to go back to the 300BLK. I may or may not have a 223 wylde, 50 beowulf, and an ar10 in 308. I have no need for anything else at the moment, or do I?

Boolit Master

50 Beowulf here. I see more in the 6.5G than the 300B but that has diminished greatly with the price of bullets.

Boolit Master

It's like anything else most love it or hate it. I never had a problem getting mine to run with supers at all. Subs require the right boolit to feed. Some noses are just too blunt and the right powder. Once I got the right mold and 1680 I was good to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Gotta ask - #1) why in the trunk?
    #2) why separate mags?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#1, in the trunk because we travel a lot and you would be surprised at some of the gas stations I have had to get gas in, last year it’s outside of Wilson NC I got blocked in by some gangsters that showed me his “piece” (Bryco 9mm) so I popped my trunk and showed him mine... I also keep my 72hr kit in my trunk with my bullet proof backpack... I figure if I need to the wife and kids can hide their vitals...

#2, I carry 4 types of ammo for different situations.... a lot of times my family or friends want to shoot my 300 pistol when I get there so I keep some plinking ammo, but I keep a mag of Lehigh defense 200grn max expansions 1 mag of surplus steel core 7.62x54r projectiles that I sized down to .308. 1 mag of tracer rounds (it makes people think twice when they see tracers going over their heads) and one mag of AP rounds.... because you never know....

I’m not a crazy prepper or anything I just want to be able to protect my kids and my wife under any situation I need to, to get back to the car and get out of dodge

Boolit Master
    All those molds came out long before there was a .300 blackout. The .30 cal is a great round in all things.

For the AR I'm not sure what the greatest is. While I have a .300 I'm sure there are better things depending on the job required.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast