Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Pewter Melt today

Boolit Master

Pewter Melt today

I just came in from melting all the Pewter that I have picked up this last year, after it was melted and put into muffin pans it weighed 51 LB`s. I was shocked with the size of all the Pewter Piles I had, and they only came out to 51 LB`s. I did keep 6 pieces because they looked so Nice I spared them for now.I have about ten 5 galon pales of WW to sort out and put into Ingots. Then I am done collecting Lead. No more I have all I could ever use. I never thought I would say this. I am 66 years young And I finally realized That I `am Not going to live forever, and I Am not the tough guy I was 20 years ago . Has this ever happend to anybody Here?

Banned
    great job collecting pewter.

Yes, I probably have enough but ------ I -- can't -- stop -- collecting

Bought a 5-gallon bucket of solder drippings they sweep off the floor from a radiator repair shop [really smokey when smelting] a good source for 40/60, 50/50, or 60/40 depending on what they use
    Last edited by Conditor22; 03-13-2021 at 04:58 PM.

I probably have plenty to but I still get excited when I find a good WW that has no zinc in it. I look for pewter and Lino on line and in thrift stores. I guess it is just one of life's simple pleasures for ME! Just wish I had more time to shoot the ones I have made and put together. BIG SIGH!!
    Loren

Boolit Buddy
    I gotcha by a year, I am 67. I can only dream of the pewter stash you have and I have looked, no luck. I do have a fair supply of lead, COWW, range lead and some soft. I am not sure when I will quit collecting, maybe next year!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have a pretty big stash of pewter and haven’t melted it...only one piece at a time or a couple pounds at a time to trade to members here for other goodies. I meted two truck loads of COWW into ignots a few years back. It took me a good month working 7 days a week to do so.

Moderator Emeritus

Envious of you guys that find them. Only found pewter once and that was while on vacation in Florida.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I don’t find it as often as I use to and if do it’s a lot more $$$$ lately.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I rarely find pewter ware that is not antique and I add it to my collection. Never will melt that valuable stuff down.

I have found no "melt-able" pewter at junk stores and scrap yards. However I have been lucky in the past to find over 120# of pure Sn in factory ingot form! That and several rolls of high ratio Sn solder on 25# rolls.

Will last me for the rest of my daze!

But a nice stash of pewter you have there fivegunner.

Boolit Master

Yep, 1 month from the day I turned 68 and I had a triple by-pass. Found out I am not young the hard way.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice stash of Pewter! I'm another that never finds it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I have a pretty big stash of pewter and haven’t melted it...only one piece at a time or a couple pounds at a time to trade to members here for other goodies. I meted two truck loads of COWW into ignots a few years back. It took me a good month working 7 days a week to do so.
    I hope you had overload springs on that truck.

At my young age (68) I've got enough, I quit looking but won't pass one up if I see something.

It's time to buy stock in Wham-o.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.