Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on 9mm bullet mold?

Boolit Bub

Recommendation on 9mm bullet mold?

New to casting. I will be powder coating. I have three daughters we all shoot. So I wanna keep it simple. I’m thinking 124 g round nose to make sure all guns feed? Does it matter if it has lube groove? I will consider different grains, but like I said for target shooting. A mold with 2 cavity would prob be ok with me. Don’t wanna break the bank! All suggestion will help? Thanks

Banned
    I like this one https://leeprecision.com/6-cavity-356-125-2r.html

IF you can find one

Boolit Master
    I recently bought a Lyman 356402 and I love it. It drops a .360 boolit I can size to .356 for 9mm or .358 for 38 special. With a Lee mold you could probably alox without sizing.

Moderator Emeritus

This is my Fav mold for 9mm
    while it says it's a SWC, the shape is more like a TC with a tiny edge. I size them to .357
    and it's in stock
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...2-5-cavity-pb/

With the stupid prices of Lee molds, these days, the NOE is probably cheaper.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

There's a whole slew of 9mm/357 bullet molds that feed trouble free. I use Lee's 358-125-RF for my 4, 9mm pistols (and my 38 Specials and 357 Magnum). I have used them dip lubed in 45-45-10 and used conventional wax based lubes and PCed a bunch. All worked well. With today's situation you may have trouble finding molds, but just about any round nose will feed well (1R from Lee are stubby and need to be seated deep. Look for 2R). Shop around for a RN, TC or RNFP, with no shoulder, from any manufacturer (I just got an excellent mold from NOE and they has several designs in stock)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Question? What’s the difference from lee 1r vs lee 2r you mentioned? Also no feeding issues in autos? I’m liking the tc flat nosed. Not sure why but I have a glock that is very accurate with them

Boolit Master
    If you're feeding 3 different 9mm's go with a 4 cavity mold, there's very little price difference between a 2 & a 4 cavity & you will be happy you did!
    As mentioned molds are hard to come by but if your guns have fixed sights you might want to shoot a few cast bullets of different weights before buying a mold to make sure you're happy. Most 9mm's are regulated for 115's or 124 gr bullets, you can adjust somewhat with powder charge but trying some first is your best bet. That Lyman #356402 is extremely popular for a reason, or something close to it.
    Dick

Boolit Buddy
    Lee 356-125-2R is my favorite, cheap, feeds well and cast fast with 6 cavity. Lee 356-120-TC will probably be suggested as well as I've seen many people use that mold to especially if you have a handgun with tight chamber and no leade where 125-2R might be little fat for that. If you are planning on PCing i would suggest to stay away from any TL molds as they are not as accurate when PCed. There are many other molds from various manufacturers but Lee is a great way to start. I def got my money worth out of my Lee molds.

With 4 shooters you should consider signing up for the 8 cavity group buy
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...av-Solid-Brass
    At least get on the list while you are looking for something you can get your hands right now.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Buddy

I vote this Lee 6 banger mold for production mold, readily available. Functions fine with 3.5-4.0 grs Reddot. Has a bigger meplat than the Lee RN. I couldn't get my 9mm to function with the Lee 358/105. Randy.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee 356-120-TC or if you would like to step up to a NOE mould the
    NOE 358-124-TC GC . I like the gas check so I can use a softish alloy and plus 1000 fps velocity.
    I size/lube at .357 and use in 9mm Luger and 38 Super.
    I size/lube at .358 and use in 38 Special , 38 Special +P and 357 Magnum.
    The .358 cast size allows you to do this .
    The 124 gr. Truncated Cone design was what the 9mm Luger was originally loaded with... deemed to be too effective a killer so the ammo was changed to 115 RN ... Wars are funny things ... too effective ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    If you use this one
    https://leeprecision.com/6-cavity-356-125-2r.html
    and you powder coat them you will need to seat them deeper or they will jam into the riffling of the barrel.
    Ask me how I know.
    I use the this one and have no problems.
    https://leeprecision.com/6cav-tl356-124-2r.html
    The nose is smaller and still fits the barrel after powder coating.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmike340 View Post
    Question? What’s the difference from lee 1r vs lee 2r you mentioned? Also no feeding issues in autos? I’m liking the tc flat nosed. Not sure why but I have a glock that is very accurate with them
    ^^^???? what does the 1r/2r refer to in the molds shape/design?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Wondering the same

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    ^^^???? what does the 1r/2r refer to in the molds shape/design?
    The 1R or 2R measurement tells you the shape of the radius of the ogive if you compare a 380 ball cartridge to a typical 9mm ball cartridge you can get and idea of the difference a 380 being close to 1R and the 9mm closer to 2R
    My crude explanation will make more sense if you look at The Lee mold catalog you can see an example of each .

https://leeprecision.com/bullet-cast...-bullet-molds/

Boolit Buddy
    I have used the lee 124 2r and have no problems in handguns or 2 different PCC’s. Tumble lube with alox thinned out.

Boolit Master
    1r vs 2r. Grab an egg from the fridge. There is one end that is round, fat and shorter (1R). Then there is the other end, longer narrower, and somewhat pointier (2R). The 2R tends to work with todays barrels better from what I understand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    1r vs 2r. Grab an egg from the fridge. There is one end that is round, fat and shorter (1R). Then there is the other end, longer narrower, and somewhat pointier (2R). The 2R tends to work with todays barrels better from what I understand.
    That's a great example

The 3 I use

My 3 9mm molds are pictured.

Left to Right: MP-359-115, Lee 356-125 R2, MP-359-130.

All three function 100% in my SR1911. The also function 100% in different brands of 4 family members.

With my alloy actual weight after sized & lubed: MP-359-115=121, Lee 356-125 R2=130, MP-359-130=136

All shoot better than I do: but, hands down the MP-359-130 is my favorite. Mine is an 8 cav. & the same mold is now listed on the GB section. I like it so much that I'll sign up for another just to salt away.

Arsenal lists a 358-130RN which they say is a clone of the Lee 125R2, They also list the 359-130RF that looks like the MP-359-130. I had their 358-125TC which was a good mold (I sold it because I never used it: preferring the MP-359-130). You can get a 4 or 5 cav. from them for less that the ebay Lees.

Like others have stated: with 3 shooters a 4 or 5 cav. mold would be preferred.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001F.JPG  

Boolit Bub
    Arsenal has 359 130. Would that be to big a diameter if lowered coating? I could size before coat but I size down to .356 and plus powder coat adds couple thousands?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast