WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 94 pre 64

Boolit Buddy

Win 94 pre 64

Hello,

My daughters boy friend went to an auction sale, over the weekend that had several guns listed.

He wants a 30-30 to hunt with, and was hoping to get a Pre 64 94 Winchester.
    I guess it was a nice old gun but far from new in box, and it went for $1100.00. Seems pretty high to me, but maybe they have came up that much.

I know when Winchester stopped making the 94's a few years ago, they went up some, and took Marlins along with them. But damn that just seems over the top to me.

Never personally found any bargains at public auctions, and it worse now.
    There were a few other guns that he mentioned having interest in, and reported the the selling price. Two Ruger black hawk new models, brought more than brand new price. Maybe there are none out there for sale?
    I dont get out much these days, since covid shut all the show down a year ago. $875.00, for a nice but used black hawk in 45 LC just seems high to me.
    Several other that sold brought stupid prices too.. I really makes me scratch my head, when we have really high unemployment here, and even when things were good, only a select few had any real money to spend.
    Well anyway.. I just thought that the prices seemed beyond stupid! Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Beyond stupid is right. Cooler heads will prevail if you don't feed the monsters

Boolit Master
    oh no, I think things are just getting warmed up, a little look through gun broker and some primers are bid up to $350/1000, they must be real special primers though.
    sr1911's that were $650 about a year ago are priced at $1200. everything is way way up.
    I don't know where your local auction was, midway, USA?
    but to get a look at what things are going for on national level, rock island is having another auction tomorrow. will be a good indicator, if you watch prices there just remember they charge 18% on top of sale price plus tax and shipping.

wait til the leftists try to run some new anti gun legislation though house and senate on national level, things will get real crazy.

Perceived demand is driving the prices on everything firearms related - and there's plenty of opportunistic price gougers out there.

Actual shortages from many gun owners are hoarding guns/ammo against what's viewed as the coming drastic laws posited by the Democrats just add fuel to the fire.

IME, however, the highest cost stuff is in public auctions, better prices in online forum classified ads.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Exactly what is a Pre-64 model 94? I know about the Winchester model 70 but not the 94!

Boolit Master
    A Pre 64 Model 94 is a Model 1894 Winchester built with a forged metal receiver and mostly machined parts (nothing stamped out). In 1964 Winchester switched to a cast steel receiver and stamped cartridge lifter as well as other changes-- in an effort to reduce the cost. Some people believe the pre-64's are inherently better. The pre-64 versions had better fit-up and the forged receiver takes bluing a lot better than the cast steel. However, the cast steel Winchester used is a special steel also used in high strength applications where the parts cannot realistically be made by forging (like some very high pressure valves). Net result is that there are things collectors do not like about post-64 Winchesters, but they are actually still very good rifles. I have one of each and they are both very nice.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    I owned a late 1950s 1894 in .32 Special. A very accurate rifle.
    In my humble opinion it was far nicer than any post-1964 model 1894 rifle that I ever owned.
    Although, some of the post-1964 guns had pretty decent walnut stocks and the fit and finish was very good. And, it should be mentioned that the stamped lifter was replaced with a much more durable cast steel lifter for most of the production.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    oh no, I think things are just getting warmed up, a little look through gun broker and some primers are bid up to $350/1000, they must be real special primers though.
    sr1911's that were $650 about a year ago are priced at $1200. everything is way way up.
    I don't know where your local auction was, midway, USA?
    but to get a look at what things are going for on national level, rock island is having another auction tomorrow. will be a good indicator, if you watch prices there just remember they charge 18% on top of sale price plus tax and shipping.

wait til the leftists try to run some new anti gun legislation though house and senate on national level, things will get real crazy.
    I bought 1000 federal LR primers in my LGS last week for a neat $100 AUD - (Aussie buys 76 cents US at the moment) we also add 10% tax at point of sale so his sell price is really only $90. should I go back with cheque book in hand and clean the place out ? Plenty ammo on the shelf there, 12 gauge shells on pallets clogging the aisle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I bought 1000 federal LR primers in my LGS last week for a neat $100 AUD - (Aussie buys 76 cents US at the moment) we also add 10% tax at point of sale so his sell price is really only $90. should I go back with cheque book in hand and clean the place out ? Plenty ammo on the shelf there, 12 gauge shells on pallets clogging the aisle.
    Where are those primers produced? If US made get all you can while they are available. If they are produced anywhere else then pricing and supply will probably be stable.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Prices on everything going up all the time. Seams like a lot faster lately. What is expensive today, will seam like a deal by next year. All the guns that I have bought in the past 50 years have gone up in value. Some a little some little, some a lot. Had a lot of fun shooting and developing loads. Made a few bucks, had a lot of fun. Win, Win on the score board. What a great hobby.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of model variations on the Pre 64 94's. Chance are it was a common one that went for more than it should but there is a chance it was a rare version and went for under market value. Without specifics hard to tell.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

$800-$1100 is a typical price for a pre 64 '94 in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Exactly what is a Pre-64 model 94? I know about the Winchester model 70 but not the 94!

In 1964, Winchester moved to save money, and ergo made all their rifles & shotguns more economic - which made rifle/shotgun made before 1964 more desirable/valuable.

Also in 1964, Winchester discontinued several other rifles that had been made for a very long time.

The internals were changed (like from solid pins to roll pins) and in the Model 94, receivers made of sintered metal ILO the previous forged steel receivers and sheet metal lifters ILO the forged steel.

There was a general outcry, disparaging the changes, so Winchester made some changes starting about 1970, like going to a solid cast lifter ILO the stamped sheet metal in the Model 94.

Eventually, Winchester moved back to forged steel receivers with the 1972 Model 9422, the 1978 Big Bore 94, and the 1982 Models 94AE.

They also made real economy models with the Ranger line, that had less metal polishing, and "hardwood" stock wood ILO walnut.

Boolit Master

The pre 64 (1964) refers to the year Winchester changed the model 70 to save cost in production. The model 94 was actually changed sometime in 1963 when they started using stamped parts and a few other changes to save money.
    Went to a local gun show a while back and thought all the prices were crazy. Saw an 1897 Marlin listed at $3,500 and another at $3,400 and they didn't look like they were in great shape. Six months ago I picked up on for $200 in trade. While mine needs some work the thought that I should put all my guns up for sale and pay off my home.

I really like my Ranger, has always been a great shooter. Recently put a Skinner sight on it. Waiting for warmer weather to give it a whirl.

Boolit Master

Back in 2007 I bought a '94 that was manufactured in 1953. The seller claimed that it was C&R eligible. I took him at his word and entered it into my "Bound Book". Even back then I paid $500.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Didn't intend to be evasive on the location. South East Kansas was where the Auction was located.
    People are going nuts for guns right now! That is for sure. Talking to the kid, last night and he had made a few notes, other stuff that sold. There was not anything that went the slightest bit normal price. Everything sold for way more that it should have. Ammo was really stupid... Cheap bulk pack 22 LR sold for 15 - 20 cents per round.

It always amazes me how in normal times as good value on a nice gun would sit in a brick and mortar gun shop with no takers, and the same gun would sell for way more at a farm sale.
    We have an Amish community near by that drive guns up a little bit, at auctions. We are a cash and carry at auctions, and they can buy there, and since they dont have a picture ID a gun shop is out.
    Oddly enough there was no Amish at this auction.. Too rich for their blood I suppose.
    Weird times are up on us that is for sure. Hard to say what the political climate will bring in the next year or so.
    If the Dems. have their way, all of these over priced guns may be scrap metal. I have thought about that, and how people's life long collection and family heirlooms could become piles of scrap, like we have seen in other countries.

I wouldn’t pay $1000 for run of the mill pre 64 m94. There were several million made. $600 is a good price for nice 1894. The market for all the desirable Winchesters hunting guns is soft. The m70 and m12 are not bringing what they use to. The young generation wants latest stuff, they aren’t interested in classics. The 1897s have gone up due to Cowboy games. With Henry in Levers and Ruger soon to follow with Marlin line, the cap should be kept on lever pricing. True collector grade guns will hold but run of the mill will lose to new stuff.

Moderator Emeritus

Auctions can be great if you're selling and occasionally when you're buying but not always.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by lead collector View Post

Weird times are up on us that is for sure.

Hard to say what the political climate will bring in the next year or so.

If the Dems. have their way, all of these over priced guns may be scrap metal.

It looks like the Dems, a majority in my state, will be having their way - there is a bill pending here that make ALL detachable magazines illegal to buy, sell or even possess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast