Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low power, flashy 500 and 44 Magnum loads - Rifle powder?

Low power, flashy 500 and 44 Magnum loads - Rifle powder?

If one wished to create a loud, flashy, but low-powered round for these handguns, would a slow rifle powder be safe to try? A friend of mine has a 44 Magnum revolver, and is currently looking for something in 500 S&W. He also has a bunch of pull-down 50 BMG powder (I am not sure which powder specifically), for which he presently has no use. I'm still not the most experienced reloaded, but if I under any of this correctly, excessive pressure shouldn't be the potential issue; just the opposite, in fact. That being said, if the projectile leaves the barrel, there should be plenty of burning powder flung downrange.
    Any thoughts?

Boolit Master
    50 BMG powder is not suitable for any handgun applications.

Boolit Master
    Flashy?

Do you mean lots of muzzle flash and little power ?

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Flashy?

Do you mean lots of muzzle flash and little power ?
    Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Basically he wants a "fun" load for friends and family; something that let's them shoot a big gun, and looks the part, but without much recoil.
    Last edited by HumptyDumpty; 03-09-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Basically he wants a "fun" load for friends and family; something that let's them shoot a big gun, and looks the part, but without much recoil.
    Where is the fun in that? Half the fun of having a hand cannon is to let the range rambo break their wrist with a monster load.

Boolit Master
    Love It!!! Sounds like fun with a capital F,-in aye!!!
    Watching this!!!

Boolit Man
    Have to choose between one or the other. 700gr cast bullet with 25gr of Win 296 will give them all the adventure they can handle. Might even crack their melon. A 300gr plated bullet with minimum charge of VV3N38 will actually let them shoot the weapon comfortably. Your choice.

Well lubed soft cast bullets over FFG blackpowder. Simple and the " special effects" will be very adequate but safe.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Trail boss

Bunny fart loads.. And no excessive cleaning needed like for black or other black replacements

I actually floated the black powder idea, but the local indoor range doesn't allow it (might sell him some for the occasional outdoor trip). Trail Boss hadn't occurred to me; I even have some in my closet.

Boolit Grand Master

4227 is a rifle powder that works great in 44 magnum. I wouldn't call it loud and flashy compared to H110, but it does not leave you disappointed either. 4227 has an oddly soft recoil for the velocity you get, but it can not match H110 velocities. Basically 4227 matches bluedot, with less recoil. The downside is you need a lot of 4227, usually compressed, and it has more muzzle blast than bluedot. Bluedot takes less powder, and it is an inexpensive powder, with less muzzle blast, however, to me bluedot has a heavier recoil than 4227 with the same bullet at the same speed. I also get better accuracy with bluedot.

Boolit Master

4227 is fairly double charge proof too...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    4227 is a rifle powder that works great in 44 magnum. I wouldn't call it loud and flashy compared to H110, but it does not leave you disappointed either. 4227 has an oddly soft recoil for the velocity you get, but it can not match H110 velocities. Basically 4227 matches bluedot, with less recoil. The downside is you need a lot of 4227, usually compressed, and it has more muzzle blast than bluedot. Bluedot takes less powder, and it is an inexpensive powder, with less muzzle blast, however, to me bluedot has a heavier recoil than 4227 with the same bullet at the same speed. I also get better accuracy with bluedot.
    One reason I like 4227... But... I'm thinking more 4198, or RE-7...as much as will fit!!
    I'm on board with this project...all the way to 4831!!!!
    Targets will be Safe... unless they are Flammable!!!

Boolit Grand Master

In the 12 gauge from hell, a number of guys have used reloader 17, as that is one of the few powders that will fill a 12 gauge case, but still burn at low pressures. Ed Hubel claims good results at standard shotgun pressures, which is 11,500 psi maximum.

RX17 is worth a try. The other, now discontinued, powder that worked really well was sr4759. Worst case in handguns it sticks a bullet, right?

Boolit Master
    Power pistol. It's loud and flashy. And also not a speed demon. Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    Older data books used to include data on powders such as IMR 4064 & 4350 in magnum pistol rounds. You don't see that anymore.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Trail boss

Bunny fart loads.. And no excessive cleaning needed like for black or other black replacements
    Trail Boss..... What a great option when you want to bring a new shooter into the fold rather than scare them half to death. Safe, sane, and a good time for all. Can't go against that logic.

Boolit Master

Yup... And using their 70-100% free space calculation.. You can reload virtually anything with it.

Had I followed through on my New Year’s Eve plan I could have offered some input about 50 BMG in my 460 S&W. I figured a case full beneath a 400 grain bullet would give the results you are looking for. I know that when using it for fire-forming cases for my AI, I have quite a bit of unburned powder remaining in the barrel. I get low velocities, with just enough pressure to fully fire-form. As a plus, the 100 yard groups are pretty darn impressive!

One of these days, I try it in my 460 for July 4th and New Year’s Eve. I’ll attempt to video....the results should be visually impressive. And if it’s an ultimate fail.....it should help with the coroner’s report! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Banner Sponsor

The biggest fireball I've got is from a 7.62x39 in a 10" AR Pistol.
    As far as the 50BMG powder, there should be something in the archives about using it in a 45-70 with duplex loads. I think they were using 5gn of a fast pistol powder, then a casefull of the slow stuff...
    Don't take my word for it, search and see what has already been done.