Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee disappoints......

Lee disappoints......

So, after many weeks of scouring for parts to complete my 3hole turret press I ordered the last remaining missing piece, the plastic ratchets. The lady I spoke to said the machine that makes the plastic part has been down for some time, but she was able to source (2) ratchets at .50 a piece plus $8.00 for shipping. I received the (2) ratchet parts today and headed to my reloading area to try them on the 3hole press. Well, what do you know, the first ratchet lasted just 20 pulls of the handle before it stripped. After weeks and weeks of anticipation to finally use my 3holer in auto index mode I’m just lost for words. The least expensive part of the entire press(probably a few pennies to make) is also the weakest link. Oh well, I’m just hoping the 4holer I ordered last week lasts longer........
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Buddy
    I'm sorry man, thats very frustrating. Does anyone make an aftermarket one, or could it be 3d printed?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigOK View Post
    I'm sorry man, thats very frustrating. Does anyone make an aftermarket one, or could it be 3d printed?
    Not that I’m aware of. Fleabay has the ratchets for like $5 each but I’m not playing that game. I’ve been using the 3holer for nearly 20yrs and its by far my favorite press. I just wanted to try the auto index feature to which my surprise didn’t last long at all lol.
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Chavez View Post
    Not that I’m aware of. Fleabay has the ratchets for like $5 each but I’m not playing that game. I’ve been using the 3holer for nearly 20yrs and its by far my favorite press. I just wanted to try the auto index feature to which my surprise didn’t last long at all lol.
    It would be less of a deal if you could have purchased 2 dozen I'm sure, but its still concerning that they only lasted that long, errr, short. Maybe they had been sitting on the shelf a long time and were brittle. If someone on here prints them they could probably make you some for cheap.

Boolit Master
    The part was defective or There is something going on with your press , or operator error .
    If all is working as it should that should last many thousands of rounds .
    If you manually turn the turret when the ram is in the wrong position you can break that piece. The turret should turn with a light touch when all is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The part was defective or There is something going on with your press , or operator error .
    If all is working as it should that should last many thousands of rounds .
    If you manually turn the turret when the ram is in the wrong position you can break that piece. The turret should turn with a light touch when all is correct.
    yeah, I was extra cautious with turning the turret as i placed it in place. It worked fine for the first couple of cranks then at about #20, it would only turn the turret halfway between the dies. I’m not gonna attempt the other ratchet and save it for later. I did inspect the auto index rod for any abnormalities to which I saw none.
    In Christ,

JC

That’s for the 4holer. The 3holer ratchet is white and it has teeth.
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Master
    I have one but manually index it. well that's after the indexer moves it partway

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    I have one but manually index it. well that's after the indexer moves it partway
    yeah I’ve been manually indexing it for nearly 20yrs, but i wanted to try out the auto index feature. I’m thinking the white plastic just isn’t as robust as Lee thinks it is. Oh well......
    Last edited by Joel Chavez; 03-08-2021 at 11:48 PM.
    In Christ,

JC

So, after many weeks of scouring for parts to complete my 3hole turret press I ordered the last remaining missing piece, the plastic ratchets. The lady I spoke to said the machine that makes the plastic part has been down for some time, but she was able to source (2) ratchets at .50 a piece plus $8.00 for shipping. I received the (2) ratchet parts today and headed to my reloading area to try them on the 3hole press. Well, what do you know, the first ratchet lasted just 20 pulls of the handle before it stripped. After weeks and weeks of anticipation to finally use my 3holer in auto index mode I’m just lost for words. The least expensive part of the entire press(probably a few pennies to make) is also the weakest link. Oh well, I’m just hoping the 4holer I ordered last week lasts longer........
    I've got two Lee Wrenches and mine have been staying strong.

I think the key to using them is to make sure that you don't try and bite into the area that has the screw portion. That, and make sure whatever you're going is hand-tight, and don't yank the thing too hard. Is this the wrench you're looking for? They look like they are still in stock on Midway USA.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021759797?pid=101497

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I've got two Lee Wrenches and mine have been staying strong.

I think the key to using them is to make sure that you don't try and bite into the area that has the screw portion. That, and make sure whatever you're going is hand-tight, and don't yank the thing too hard. Is this the wrench you're looking for? They look like they are still in stock on Midway USA.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021759797?pid=101497
    This is what I’m referring to bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Master
    My first one lasted 20 years, I ordered another one and they sent it along with a spare in less than a week. I believe I'll keep it stuck to the under side of the press with duct tape until I need it. Lee has always been amazing for me to deal with (other than when I asked them to rebuild my worn out 30-40 Lee Loader sizing die..... but that's another story).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I understand it's supposed to be a weak point on the four hole turret...so when I got mine 12 years ago I ordered extras. I'm guessing 10-12K rounds later, I've yet to need a spare. Could break tomorrow....we'll see, but it hasn't yet.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is what I’m referring to bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoops! Guess that Lee makes so many things out of plastic that I got mixed up a little. My bad!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never had to change one on my turret press. 3 hole.
    Got it in the 80's.
    But I don't use the auto index that much.
    Does the Pro 1000 have one in it????
    If so, I've never changed that one since I got it in the 90's.
    Might have been old stock part, or something wrong with the press.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I've never had to change one on my turret press. 3 hole.
    Got it in the 80's.
    But I don't use the auto index that much.
    Does the Pro 1000 have one in it????
    If so, I've never changed that one since I got it in the 90's.
    Might have been old stock part, or something wrong with the press.
    The press and index rod are flawless. I’m starting to think the plastic part was either defective from the onset or possibly old, thus brittle. I received email confirmation today that the 4holer should arrive on Monday of next week. Hopefully the index feature on that press will last more than 20 cranks lol.
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I got lucky. Mine has held up since the late '80's, and just how many 10's of thousands of rounds, I don't know. Maybe the plastic is not of the same quality.

Boolit Buddy

I have loaded several thousands rounds of 9mm on my 4 hole and just recently had to replace the ratchet.

Boolit Buddy
    I have yet to replace the ratchet on my indexing turret press. I read the directions carefully so I do not damage it by improper use. If you are damaging the ratchet it is your technique. Review your setup & method.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast