Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oversized cast boolits

Boolit Mold

Oversized cast boolits

This morning I cast almost a thousand 357 Magnum semi wad-cutters. I tried to run them through my resizing die and almost broke the handle on my RCBS Rock chucker. The mold is a Lee 6 cavity 158 grain semi wadcutter. Why would the bullets come out of the mold at .365 - .372 diameter. After running them through the sizing die it completely wiped off the ribs on the side of the bullet making a solid slug that was pretty damn ugly

Boolit Master
    Probably the most common issue is how you hold the mold handles. The third handle, the one that cuts the sprue, should not be gripped along with the other two because it will force the blocks apart and result in fins and oversized bullets. I this what you were doing?

Boolit Master
    One of three things, either the mold was cut wrong, stamped wrong or you are not getting the mold closed all the way (they will be out of round). If they are varying that much in diameter, it sounds like the mold is not closing well.

Check for dings on the parting line edges of the mold or a bit of lead stuck on the parting line faces that may be holding the mold halves apart.

Banned
    Check and see if the boolits are round (out of round) If so then you are holding the sprue handle and not letting the mold close completely.

Are all the boolits this big? Or do you have some that size easily?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Probably the most common issue is how you hold the mold handles. The third handle, the one that cuts the sprue, should not be gripped along with the other two because it will force the blocks apart and result in fins and oversized bullets. I this what you were doing?
    What he said......don't ask how I know.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    What he said......don't ask how I know.......
    Yeah, I found out how that works too

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Yeah, I found out how that works too
    The first time I did that I had lead pouring out the bottom of the mold --- that was disconcerting

Boolit Mold
    I'm holding the mold by the ends of the handles and I actually went back and re-poured some more heads to make sure I was doing it correctly. I mic'ed the mold and it comes up at 358 but the bullets are coming out 362 how is this possible.

Boolit Master

Hold the mold blocks up to the light and make sure they are tight and no light shows through , if it does check for splatters of lead , burrs or alignment pins , if it has no light showing through and you are holding molds right and they are tight then double check your measurements and cast and check your bullets , are they round or are they out of round ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Microgun View Post
    I'm holding the mold by the ends of the handles and I actually went back and re-poured some more heads to make sure I was doing it correctly. I mic'ed the mold and it comes up at 358 but the bullets are coming out 362 how is this possible.
    If you are using harder alloy than the mold was made for you could get a much bigger boolits. I usually cast mine around 10 BHN

harder alloy drop bigger/lighter

Boolit Mold
    99.99% pure lead

Boolit Mold
    I don't understand how the alloy or the hardness has anything to do with it. the mold is what the mold is if it's 358 it should cast bullets at 358 can they possibly grow after I open the mold

Did you check to see if they are round or or oval? Measure at parting line and then 90 degrees from that. Check all six and see if'n the middle cavities are dropping larger. Did you check to see if light can be seen between cavities are closed?
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Shrinkage , all molds are cut for a alloy , so harder shrinks less then pure , and then mold temperature makes a difference also . If I remember correct . I buy molds for range lead and or wheel weight alloy , black powder molds and slugs are usually cut for pure lead .

Heat mold to same temp. on a hot plate and try to keep alloy the same .

Boolit Master
    This is usually the result of not confirming that the mold blocks are completely closed and no light is seen between the mold blocks. The Lee 6 cavity mold can be a problem if not held correctly. The blocks must be held closed with the mold handles. The sprue cutting handle must be in the correct position so the the plate is in the fully closed postion and slides under the hold down bolt. BUT IT MUST NOT BE GRIPPED with the other two handles or the lever will cam the blocks apart at the handle hinge end of the blocks. You will not see this because the sprue plate covers this gap. Even slight pressure on the sprue cutter handle can create this problem. You will also see this as the bullets at one end of the blocks being nearly normal, and those from the other end of the blocks, oversized and often with fins. It is helpful in determining the problem if you will answer the questions being asked.

Alloys containing antimony do not shrink as much as pure lead bullets when cool so yes, the alloy does make a difference in the final cast bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't understand how the alloy or the hardness has anything to do with it. the mold is what the mold is if it's 358 it should cast bullets at 358 can they possibly grow after I open the mold
    Pure lead has the most shrinkage.
    Lee molds have the largest tolerance window of any mold mfg currently producing molds. It is not uncommon for a Lee 358 to throw a .361. I have two that do that. If you close the block and hold the two handles, then close the sprue cutter you can feel the mold blocks open when close to closed all the way. Back off on the sprue cutter when you feel that happen.
    One other thing to look at is the face of the blocks might be a little proud where they come together. A fine stone at about 45 degrees will fix this if it is there. I have had to do this to several 6 cavity but none of my two cavity's have had this problem.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I’ve had that happen at first, starting with casting, fins and out of round boolits. Stopped casting and find out what is wrong. Held up to light and rotate, looking for any light passing thru. Found it, wasn’t obvious, cleaned and reset guide pins, don’t know what was holding open but it cleared up after that episode. Started being careful about how tight to hold handles, and didn’t think about the sprue handle. Good luck, don’t give up, mistakes just get remelted.

Boolit Master

harder alloys make bigger bullets..

Boolit Master
    It's not the alloy with the size difference Microgun is getting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    It's not the alloy with the size difference Microgun is getting
    No duh!

But.. he said he didn't understand how alloy had any impact on bullet size and it does

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast