RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Prescription shooting safety glasses

Boolit Buddy

Prescription shooting safety glasses

I am looking for guidance on the request. I shoot open sight hand arms with a front sight focus. All of my long arms have optics. I am far sighted, but wear bifocals full time. I mostly use NRA B-8 targets @25.

Dominant eye focus 3-10” beyond front sight? Non dominant further out like 25 yards? There are a lot of conflicting views.

Thank You!

Bevan
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    I am nearsighted and my prescription shooting glasses have one lens for my dominant eye that focus on the front sight and the other at 25 yd. This really helps my shooting, don't know if it would work with being far sighted.

Moderator Emeritus

without glasses, handgun sights are fuzzy for me.
    I consulted my eye doc about this, and he came up with a single vision prescription that is similar to computer/reading glasses, except the focal point at 26", instead of the usual 16 to 18 inches. It made a world of difference, and helps with Rifle as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    These questions should be between a good optometrist, who understand shooting, and you.
    When I go for my glasses,, it's a SERIOUS discussion. I have a set for shooting USPSA,, and a set of longer range handgunning, AND my daily wear set.

I have two pairs.

One in sun glasses one clear.

Abosulty impartive to protect your eyes.

Ill get photos for you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My optometrist was a shooter. I carried my gun in so we/he could get it figured correctly.

Moderator Emeritus

I have prescription bifocals with the line at the front sight of a handgun at full arms length. A very slight motion moves it from focus at 25 yards and back.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Call Decot Hy Wyd in Arizona. They're shooters and optometrists. I have new lenses on the way now. Ten minutes on the phone I was all set. Just waiting for them to come.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I had a special pair of glasses made up for pistol shooting. In the office, the optometrist kept trying different lenses over my dominant eye, until the front sight was in focus. He said they were reading lenses he was using. The non dominate eye has a normal prescription lens in it. It seems the focal distance is now correct for rifle irons also. I use the glasses for bullseye and USPSA shooting.

It's amazing on how the brain compensates for the two different lenses. When I first put on the glasses, I think I am in a fishbowl. Within a minute, vision is normal, and I don't notice I even have the special glasses on, except the front sight is now sharp and clear.

Boolit Master

Dp you shoot with both eyes open? Is your dominate eye on the same side as the hand you shoot with?
    The eye you shoot with needs to have the front sight in focus. The target and rear sight may be somewhat blurry but that is the best you can do. The other eye may need to be blocked by a translucent blind. Both eyes need to see the same amount of light to focus properly.
    If you have no astigmatism(sp.) in your shooting eye you can simply get a set of reading glasses that focuses on the front sight and block the other eye. That is if your dominate eye is on your shooting hand side.

Boolit Master

When I was an active cowboy shooter, I used Wiley X Romer II shooting safety glasses. I'm right handed, but left eyed, yet have always aimed righty. I had a 26" focal length lens on the right and a distance lens on the left. After a few seconds, all was well and I could see clearly both rifle and handgun sights, as well as targets.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Before going to the expense of having custom shooting glasses made, go to Duluth trading and buy some contractor grade safety glasses about - 0.50 to-0.75 diopter less than your normal reading prescription.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Thank You all for your experience. There’s a lot of meat and potatoes to digest from above.

Yes, I also have astigmatism and shoot with both eyes open. Right eye and right hand dominant. Right eye for left hand shooting as well.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

The cheapest wat to go is to get a clip-on diopter. These are like the clip-on flip-up sun glasses. This will use your astigmatism correction of your regular glasses and the diopter will change your distance of focus on the front sight. A diopter of +1.00 will change your focus to one meter in front of your eye. So +.75 should be right. These diopters are available on ebay and places that specializes in optics. They are usually around $15.00 but have bought some for 2-3 dollars each.

Boolit Master
    I wear progressive bifocals after cataract surgery, but they only have about +1.25 strength in the bottom part of the lens. When shooting pistols I wear large lens readers of +1.25 strength. Since pistol targets are close, the +1.25 does not distort them too much; the sights are crystal clear so a bit of distortion of the target is OK.

Boolit Master
    Optometrists have to be asked about shooting glasses, and many many people ask them. YMMV. Bring along a pine board pistol cutout, round head screws for sights. Looking at the chart over sights will quickly tell what you need, just don't point it at anybody. Probly illegal in CA or NY...