RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Pedersoli Rolling Block 30-30-Target bullet

Boolit Master

Pedersoli Rolling Block 30-30-Target bullet

im thinking of buying a Pedersoli rolling block in 30-30 to shoot paper with-no hunting. Im interested in shooting smokeless powder with Plain Base bullets only-not interested in gas checks at all. I would shoot these at 100-200 yards. I understand that this would require me to shoot below 1400fps .Any one here that can chime in on bullet style and weight and what kind of accuracy i could expect as well as any experience thats similar to the direction im thinking about?

Im not crazy about the 30-30 round but i already have a 45-70 and 38-55 in a Sharps and High Wall and mostly interested in the style of rifle.

The combination you suggest will transition from supersonic to subsonic somewhere around 150 yards. Therefore good accuracy at 200 yards might be difficult to achieve. If you raise the muzzle velocity to 1600 fps you can probably stay supersonic out to 200 yards. Plain-based bullets such as

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...bullet=30-140R

or

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...bullet=30-140S

cast of Linotype could probably be pushed to 1600 fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is a gun I would be interested in as well but cannot justify as a toy.

As to the bullet, if you are worried about leading over 1400 fps without a GC, one option would be to PC plain base bullets if leading occurred. I am not a fan of PC, as I do not need its advantages for my needs, but it is an option to consider in your application. I would try BLL over traditional lube first and see if it works. You may be just fine at 1600 fps.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I am shooting 3 different plain based, powder coated boolits
    in several 30-30's. The NOE 165 gr Ranch Dog at 1800 fps
    is quite accurate in the 2 rifles I have tested so far.

Powder coating is a much cheaper alternative than
    gas checks.

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    I use 700X with 150-165gr PB boolits
    5.0-6.5gr = 1000-1200fps with good accuracy out to 100yds (& recoil like a 22lr)

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a lot of plain based 30's. In an alloy of 2% tin and 4% antimony, I can only get to around 1100 before leading occurs. Larger calibers I can get to 1350 or so in 44 and 45-70, same alloy.
    Tatume suggested pure lino might get you to 1600, and I agree, but I would think a gas check would be less expensive than casting pure Lino. Most of the long range guys I used to shoot with did use pure lino but it was a lot more plentiful and cheap back then. Not so much now.
    To address your question directly, I would use a plain based version of the Lyman 311291, 170 gr. round nose. My second choice would be a clone of Saeco 315 tapered boolit 175ish grain. If you are going to order the mold special be sure to get a flat base vs a bevel base. 1000 fps is no problem at 100/125 yds. On real calm days some bit further. Launched at a 1000 fps with a 30 I consider 150 yds my limit. If you can get a heavier boolit to chamber you can extend your range considerably. The smallest caliber I can reach out there with a plain base is 35. I can get to around 1200 fps with a 200 grain in 35 Remington, which easily gets to 200.
    These are my experiences, with the 30-30 and 35 Remington. I have several 30-30's and one rolling block, if I could find a 190/200 that would chamber without being way below the case neck I think 200 yds would be much easier.
    Tony