RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching Headstamp 9mm brass?

Matching Headstamp 9mm brass?

Hi,

I have been cleaning and sorting through several thousand pieces of 9mm brass. In the process, I have been sorting a lot of it by headstamp.
    While I have my own ideas for personal use and reloading, I am wondering what others thought?
    I've got way more than I need and plan to sell a good bit of it.

Would it be worth it to you to use matching headstand 9mm brass, or would you be just as happy with mixed headstamp bulk brass?
    If you're looking for brass would you prefer a smaller quantity of cleaned matching headstamp brass, or a larger quantity of mixed brass (including military)?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Jim

If I was using a 9mm pistol for match shooting, I would definitely want matching headstamps. For my use and skill level, mixed brass works fine.
    It will all depend on the intended use.

Boolit Master
    Matching headstamps, preferred. Especially, for accuracy work, in a carbine. Pistol, not so much.

Winelover

Banned

Mixed brass for my pistol, but totally agree on using the same brass when consistent accuracy matters, particularly with a carbine at 100 yards or maybe a bit further out ...

Boolit Master
    I separate all my brass by head stamp and also keep my brass separated by lots: usually 20 round lots for rifle and 50-100 round lots for handguns. It makes it easier for me to keep track of how many times a particular case has been loaded.

I have the available time so I separate based on headstamp. I feel that step in the process will eliminate a potential issue.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    I filter out certain troublesome headstamps, including cases with internal steps, roll size the rest and load them up.

Lots of folks make money selling brass, but I figure they are mostly retired and have nothing better to do with their time. Those that sort by headstamp seem to get a premium, but then they probably can’t sell some headstamps at all, and I’m not sure how it works out.

Boolit Master
    If I sell a box of 9mm brass, with 23 pounds of unsorted brass, you will have about 2,500+ cases to sort through. If you can not match up a couple of large batches, it would be very unusual. As for the odd ball stuff, we all know someone always trying to bum some rounds and are not careful about returning the cases. That is when you load up the odd ball stuff. I call it "in-law-brass".

Boolit Master

If you spend enough time on this forum, you'll quickly notice that 9mm is a bit of a fussy round to load for with cast bullets - largely because internal case taper can size the bullets down below desired diameter when seating. The round often requires additional/modified sizing techniques to avoid this problem. Also, smaller cases with higher operating pressures like 9mm are more sensitive to changes in available internal volume than the big low pressure options like .45 ACP.

So going with a single headstamp, ideally from the same production lot, will tend to render your process more consistent and less prone to being victimized by "gremlins"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I like to sort brass by headstamp, no matter the intended use. Just my preference. If I'm going g to shoot where I can't or don't want to pick up brass, I use the oddball headstamps.

Moderator Emeritus

Yep...Matching HS...the only way to fly
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Not for me. I just dump it in a bucket and use it.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    Only one of my 9 MM is sufficiently accurate that it can benefit from the hassle of sorting head stamps. But the rest aren't. Of the 11 9mm's I currently own, only the SIG 210 is worthy of the effort to sort cases by headstamp. I'm with Burnt Fingers on this one. For the rest, into the bucket. If I want to hit something small, I take a 6" 38 or 357 revolver, (or my Ruger Flattop .44 Spl.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I load with a progressive and sort all brass by headstamp. Constiency is my goal.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Mixed brass, unprocessed. If I want to sort head stamps, I can do it myself.

I don't think the "premium" you'd get over unsorted brass would justify the time spent squinting at cases.

Boolit Grand Master

My preferred type of brass to be purchase is sorted and nothing else. I don't want it cleaned, deprimed or tumbled. I want to be able to see if it truly appears to be once fired.

That being said I am normally not willing to pay extra for sorted handgun brass.

For my own use sorting is dependent on if accuracy will benefit from the extra effort. I do test the groups with different mixed headstamps to see if I can tell a difference and how much.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-08-2021 at 06:54 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    Mixed brass for my pistol, but totally agree on using the same brass when consistent accuracy matters, particularly with a carbine at 100 yards or maybe a bit further out ...

What manufacture is your carbine?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    What manufacture is your carbine?
    TNW ASR 9mm

Boolit Master

I only load FC brass for myself in 9, 45, 357 & 38, the rest gets posted for sale or donated. Ditto PPU for 380 and GFL Fiochhi for 45 Colt, Win for 40. Some cartridges I’d buy mixed. If I was running a 9 or 45 full auto probably wouldn’t be so picky.
    I like Federal brass cause it cleans up well and seems to last through lots of reloading. Fiochhi too and PPU cause it’s easy plentiful in 380 and also consistent.

Boolit Master
    I don't bother with 9mm. For all my other firearms I sort by headstamp and keep track of how many times each has been loaded. I don't own any 9mm firearms that are accurate enough for it to matter. Instead, I have an extended (3 foot tall) feeder like you use for cat food (where you pour food in the top and the cats pull it out the bottom). It holds about 3000 cases. I pull from the bottom, load, shoot, decap, clean then put in the top. That way I know all my 9 mm have been loaded about the same number of times.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast