MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Chaos Rules!

Boolit Grand Master

Chaos Rules!

Well, once agin I’ve proven that organized people never make the exciting discoveries I do! At least 10 or 15 years ago I bought a set of Leisure Group era Lyman 310 dies in 9mm. I found them cheap at a gun show ($5-10 at most) and I don’t think they had ever been out of the grey and black striped box... they still had the waxed paper on them. Anyway, in one of my abortive attempts at cleaning and organizing I put this set as well as a few other 310 items and a couple of moulds in a tote tray, planning to take them to the next gun show. The tote promptly got buried in my mess and only resurfaced recently.

With the increased cost and decreased availability of 9mm ammo I decided to reload some for the first time, and although I had inherited a full sized 7/8 X 14 set, I just used the carbide die from that to decap and resize, then did the recapping with a 1st Gen Lee hand tool and everything else with the 310 tool. Oh yeah, I even found out that I had a rotor for my Pacific Pistol Measure that dropped the exact load of 231 I wanted. I loaded 20 test rounds and took them out to test for function, then came back and loaded 100 this afternoon in a surprisingly short time. No stress, just casual, old fashioned reloading. Just think, I could have sold or traded off that die set years ago and missed all of this!

Chaos can be fun!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    My only problem with this is that I usually make the discovery after I've bought the thing twice.

It is fun to find forgotten items that are useful though.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Well, once agin I’ve proven that organized people never make the exciting discoveries I do! :
    You think your making great discoveries now?

Just wait 'til you get CRS.

You'll find all sorts of stuff ya never knew you had.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I resemble that remark. I own 2 of everything.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Sometimes I think that loading with a 310 tool is just the way lie ought'a be - Spending time in that good ole 310 zone
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Just think if you had traded them for primers. You would be rich now....

After a couple of moves I have been going through all of my stuff, dupes, triples, extras, things I never really needed and on and on. Most has been sold to buy more stuff that I can use.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    It is fun to find forgotten items that are useful though.
    Robert
    My problem is most times I know I have an item but can’t for the life of me find it. And I don’t have a basement, barn or shed to look through, only a garage. At least 6 times in the past couple years I wanted to use my brad nailer for one project or another. Never could find the box of brads. I finally took the brads out of the nailer and matched them up at HD. Bought a box each of 1, 1 1/2 and 2 inch and found the missing box that afternoon. Never fails.

I brought home a 310 setup in 38 Spec. awhile back from our local gun-show. It was the modern manufacture aluminum type. Then the other day I found one of the old Ideal handles (steel) at a local shop for 20 bucks. I think they're from around 1920. I guess I'm getting pretty close to actually squeezing out some rounds the old fashioned way.

I've been using my Lee hand press pretty frequently these days, so I'm getting more in that frame of mind. jd

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I resemble that remark. I own 2 of everything.
    Man, I'm glad I'm not alone. I always thought I had early onset something or other....

Boolit Grand Master
    I've self diagnosed that I have "Halftimer's Disorder." I remember stuff about half of the time, or is it that I remember half of the stuff? Today must not be my day to remember. What were we talking about??
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

I have to leave cues for me to remember what I need to do. Example, needed to clean out the fireplace today and got out the pail and put it on the hearth first thing this AM. Got 'er done, too. Walking out to the garage or even the laundry room I can hear the vibrating polisher running, go out and pull the brass and I'm oriented to what I want to do! 25 Krag AI seat die mounted in the Hollywood press - need to prime cases now in the polisher, load brass expansion rounds for my next range trip.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

What was the OP about?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I've self diagnosed that I have "Halftimer's Disorder." I remember stuff about half of the time, or is it that I remember half of the stuff? Today must not be my day to remember. What were we talking about??
    Damn, I resemble that remark! Oh well, there are worse surprises, Tom

Boolit Master

I have been going through a lifetime stock of reloading and shooting stuff, categorizing, organizing, and taking inventory. I recommend that you do that when you have "time" on your hands. WRITE IT DOWN (or take photos), then compare what you paid against what it is worth NEW today, then discount it for the use you put it through as you deem appropriate. I think you will find that the sum-total value today is MORE than what you paid. It is an interesting way to pass the time in finding all that you KNEW you had and now it comes to hand.

I have made TWO, younger, reloaders who are are jsut now getting started. Consumable components and new equipment are scarce and expensive. They are the recipients of a LOT of my hand-me-downs, a little of my stock "excess", and "first dibs" to discounted gear as an appropriate way to get them started. They have abundant access to all my experience, which I am grateful to give away, and I steer them away from "the rocks".

One of them has been sitting on the reloading fence for a L O N G time. I am excited about the fire that has ignited in him. They are each setting up their respective loading benches. One, a next door neighbor, with a bench and components he got from me and a Kit and dies he bought before the runup. The other, with a press, bench, and components he got from me and new dies from the Net. I am excited, in retirement, to be a Mentor and "of service" again as it rekindles my own motivation to reload, cast, AND SHOOT.

Waking up at 3:00 a.m. (+/- is a "senior thing"). I cast in the coolness of the morning. By mid-day I have amassed a heap of cast boolits. Then the afternoon or evening is spent reloading. And so it goes. And so it goes. Weekends are for making noise...and recapturing non-consumable components. I am a brass scrounge...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    You think your making great discoveries now?

Just wait 'til you get CRS.

You'll find all sorts of stuff ya never knew you had.
    I am currently doing inventory on all teh contents of my shop, just to find out what I've actually got, and forgot about. On Saturday I found a bunch of stuff (tools mainly) that I forgot I had. I also found alot of dirt in the shop I didn't know I had. It's all gone now.

As soon as my Jeep is closer to being done there will be a major clean out, and alot of extra stuff will be going down the road.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com