Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok what was the problem here ?

Ok what was the problem here ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1615055378808.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	279102

So had asked on a FB casting group is my mold was filling out enough and according to alot of people only like two of my bases where acceptable.ive been gas checking so haven't really though they looked that bad but guess not. Anyhow anyone wanna give me some advice on with the problem could be ?
    Lee .225 6cav mold ( it's a used mold and is a little rough )
    Molds been heated in a hot plate for 20 or so minutes prior to use.
    Used mold so is a little dinged up
    Lead is 100% clip on wheel weights. Actually more like 95 because I did add a two ingots that's had a bit of stick o WW mixed in
    Lead temp was 750-800
    Was fluxing about every time I saw the lead get out of that mirror silver color

I was cutting the sprew as soon as I saw the lead change to that dull grey color like I've been told. And I think that's it for details.

I had some people telling me it looked like my sprew plate had called my molds surface and I should hone it. Also had some more people say I should lube my stuff better.

I went and filed, then sanded all the touching surfaces down level with 320 -1000 grit sand paper ends up the mold wasn't flush completely ( least that what I gleaned from using my straight edged to check) the sprew plate was also bent up slightly so it wasn't cutting even.

Name:	FB_IMG_1615056828000.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	279103

I'll post some more pictures of what I did to the mold but before that what could have been the problem?

Moderator Emeritus

Most likely, lack of sprue plate lube.
    Without lube, the aluminum galls, which lift the sprue plate.
    when you removed the sprue plate, did you see galling near the pivot bolt area?

Another possibility, is the sprue plate getting bent from cutting a cold sprue (requiring excessive force) while not pulling straight on the sprue handle...usually that will snap the cam lever (don't ask me how I know).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Most likely, lack of sprue plate lube.
    Without lube, the aluminum galls, which lift the sprue plate.
    when you removed the sprue plate, did you see galling near the pivot bolt area?

Another possibility, is the sprue plate getting bent from cutting a cold sprue (requiring excessive force) while not pulling straight on the sprue handle...usually that will snap the cam lever (don't ask me how I know).
    Yes ! Was pretty bad to honest. Seems like the the whole corner of the mold was slanted slightly next to the sprew plate. I tried shading it level but after about a hour seem like j just made it worse so I moved moved the bolt to the other end of the mold ( the hole where the third hand is usually connected) and seems like its much better

If you get to sanding on one, use the real fine wet or dry sand paper, and put it over a sheet of glass,
    or something that will keep it truely flat. Put a little water or real thin oil on it too.
    That keeps stuff from 'balling up' under, or clogging it.

Lots of guys swear by keeping a little drop of two-stroke oil on top of the mold block too.
    It doesn't take much, just wipe it with a oiled Q tip.

I haven't had to do much work on molds, and all I have is Iron ones--- when I do-
    I consider 400 grit wet or dry as the most violent I want to get with them.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-06-2021 at 05:16 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Yes ! Was pretty bad to honest. Seems like the the whole corner of the mold was slanted slightly next to the sprew plate. I tried shading it level but after about a hour seem like j just made it worse so I moved moved the bolt to the other end of the mold ( the hole where the third hand is usually connected) and seems like its much better
    While I consider myself pretty handy, I am also a bit of a hamfist with tasks like filing or sanding, if I don't have the correct tools/supplies. Sounds like your solution to swap the hinge bolt location is a success, that's good. I have found it's easy to turn a Lee mold into scrap aluminum if I fiddle with it too much with incorrect hand tools.

There is a few threads here about lubing the Sprue plate, be sure to read through them...it's makes a world of difference.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Sanding a mold flat is something that may be harder than it look s to keep evein.Not just flat,you can be flat but still be out of quare with the cavitys of the mold.check you bullets for weight and length to see how you did sading or measure you mold top to bottom and see if one end or side is off.one other thing is if yoir mold have were alined this could be from the mold being warped or the alinement pis being worne or not set right.if this is the case you will see the bullet halves missmatched.I hope you did just fine with it but just in case theses are some of the things to look for.the good thing is you are learning on a lesser priced mold.The bad news is if you want a new mod right now they are hard to find and the custom mold makes are realy busy right now and the lead time are getting longer.

Yeah it's some kinda irritating to say the least but 2 years of auto boat and sanding bondo have gotten me pretty used to this, honestly if it wasn't for for these things apparently being worth $150 buck now for some reason I would have just bought a new one
    But hay I like tedious little projects lol. Went from a file to 80-120-180 -1000

Name:	FB_IMG_1615062262126.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	279106

Name:	FB_IMG_1615062265731.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	279107

Name:	FB_IMG_1615062269289.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	279108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1615062273666.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	279109

Boolit Grand Master

Now, slightly bevel or round off the edges of the mould and sprue plate. Then lube the top of the mould and the top/bottom of the sprue plate with a mould prep lube. Do not get the lube in the cavities. A #2 Carpenter pencil can be used in lieu of the mould prep. Just scribble the graphite "lead" all over the top of the mould and top/bottom of the sprue plate.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    WolfDog, I don't remember where I bought them but steel sprue plates that are available work way better than the originals. I looked on line to find them and I remember he also made steel levers so you don't have to worry about breaking the Lee model. If I remember correctly the guy was also on this forum. Maybe someone reading this can give you a heads up. At the time I thought the price was very good considering how well they were made.

Banned
    A VS out of Canada sells them, I think it KAL Tools

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...L-Tool-amp-Die

Red River Rick is the vendors name.

Boolit Master

Kal tools are some fine plates I bought some awhile ago from him , a pleasure to deal with .

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting this as now I remember it was Kal tools.

Boolit Master
    I almost ruined a mold when I first started casting. The top got scratched up really good from not lubing. Now that internet and this site I have learned a lot. 2 cycle oil or refrigerant oil is what I use now. Only takes a very small drop or dab. I cleaned up the cutter and the top of the mold and is good as new well almost .

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The best advise is to not get info from Facebook. I've seen tons of misinformation on there, especially from amateur gun builders!

If you want it really flat, take it to a machine shop and have them mill a few thousandths off.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The best advise is to not get info from Facebook. I've seen tons of misinformation on there, especially from amateur gun builders!

If you want it really flat, take it to a machine shop and have them mill a few thousandths off.
    The best advice you'll ever get.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Aluminum has funky heat properties. It's highly heat conductive. If you notice it's the bullets at the ends and close to handles that have rounded bases. Thats the part that's going to cool the quickest. The two in the middle look good.

Cast faster and crank the heat up to 850*F. Run the mold just below the smoke point. I also encourage you to get a tube of antiseize for that bottom of the sprue plate and the edges of the blocks where the sprue plate glides over it. The antiseize can take more heat and it will last longer than 2 cycle oil. It also won't migrate into the cavities. It will prevent galling from destroying the top of the mold in 2000 casts. Once you get the feel for it you will know when to add more by how the sprue plate feels gliding over the tops of the blocks.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    The best advice you'll ever get.
    I am apart of lot of groups on Facebook. I do my best to give good info. You are correct not everyone advice is good or others as nice as we are.

Sometimes the advice gets buried by the bad.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast