Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Casting for the other 45 auto the 45 GAP

Boolit Buddy

Casting for the other 45 auto the 45 GAP

To start with my G37.3 and G38.3 both have Lone Wolf Rifled barrels.
    I have been loading the Missouri Bullet Company 200 grain Odd Ball bullets, which are a 200 grain round nose with a single grease groove. This bullet runs just fine.
    I am planning on a new 45 Auto 200 grain bullet mold. I was shooting a lot of H&G 68's back in the day through my Wilson Combat 1911. Worked well and cut nice clean bullet holes in card board.
    I picked up a box of them (Missouri Bullet Company IDP #1) a while back. I could not get them to feed reliably through the 45GAP Glock. One would chamber the next would not, the next would chamber, the following round would not. My guess is this has to do with the staggered magazine. I have pretty much ruled out the H&G 68 mold.

I have been looking, and the Accurate 45-200M looks like it will feed. It has a .18 Flat Nose.
    Do you have any other 45 cal 200 grain Round Nose Molds w/Grease Groove in mind that will come in a 5-6 cavity?

Bob R

Boolit Master

I load the MP 452-200 hollow point in my model 37 , its round nose grease groove , I can not remember off hand if I have loaded any of the NOE swc h.p. ,I will have to check and see or load some and go try them .

Boolit Master

Lee makes a 200 grain round flat nose 45 mould. Two and six. My GAP guns like it fine. Since it's a .45, you might even be able to find one. Good luck.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy
    I sorted out my molds. I currently have two in .452. A Lee 6-Cavity 230 grain Tumble Lube, and a Saeco 4-Cavity 230 grain Round Nose. Both purchased for Colt 1911 pistols.
    Looking at Lee Molds they did not have a good looking Round Nose 200 grain mold in the catalog. The Lee (90697) 452-200RF has a very large flat nose. Not sure how well it would feed. The (90310) is a H&G 68 Clone.

Bob

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
    I picked up a box of them (Missouri Bullet Company IDP #1) a while back. I could not get them to feed reliably through the 45GAP Glock. One would chamber the next would not, the next would chamber, the following round would not. My guess is this has to do with the staggered magazine. I have pretty much ruled out the H&G 68 mold.
    you might need to reduce the OAL a little bit
    There is always some OAL differences.
    You could load up some dummy rounds (maybe 6)
    Lock the slide back, let it drop and test your staggered theory but I am thinking its the OAL
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    HATCH I seated them all the way to the case mouth. Wadcutter shoulder Flush with the case mouth. I may need to try it longer after measuring my loads below.
    200 grain HP Carry Ammo: 1.095 OAL (A little longer than Speer Lists, Runs Fine)
    200 grain Odd Ball Load: 1.090 OAL ( Runs Fine)
    200 grain H&G 68 Load seated flush: 1.085 OAL (Jams)
    SPEER Max OAL: 1.137
    Speer 185 & 200 grain GDHP Loaded Length: 1.070
    Lyman #452630 Lyman OAL: 1.080
    The Lyman 452630 must have a shorter nose length than the Missouri Bullet Company offering. The Missouri Bullet looks to be slimmer in the nose area than the Lyman Bullet.

Bob R

Boolit Grand Master
    Been a while since I looked at a Glock mag, but I thought they were all double stack single feed.

One other boolit that works very well in the .45 ACP 1911 platform and might work for your GAP is the Lyman 452460, a ~200 gr SWC that loads very short. Mine actually weigh 207, but I use WW not Lyman's mix.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded a few IDP #1 bullets a little longer. They would now feed, but would not chamber completely. Probably around 1.150. I did not mic them to be exact. Looking like round nose will be much easier to get to feed reliably.

Bob R

Boolit Buddy
    How have people's glocks handled 200 grain SWC bullets? I will be picking up a ton of them for a S&W 625, and would love to be able to use them in my Glock 37s and 38. I mean, I stocked up on .45 GAP before the panic, but I would love to get more training in with them. Right now, the only molds I have are a 225 grain round nose from Lee, and my various .45 Long Colt molds, which are all in the 250 grain range.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
    How have people's glocks handled 200 grain SWC bullets? I will be picking up a ton of them for a S&W 625, and would love to be able to use them in my Glock 37s and 38. I mean, I stocked up on .45 GAP before the panic, but I would love to get more training in with them. Right now, the only molds I have are a 225 grain round nose from Lee, and my various .45 Long Colt molds, which are all in the 250 grain range.
    A buddy used commercial 200 swc in his Glock 30. They shot well, as long as he didn't put any rounds in the magazine. The empty brass rim hung up on the shoulder of the next round in the magazine. Feeding was no problem, but extracting the just fired empty was a problem. Lyman 452488 worked flawlessly