RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: WC 852 question

Boolit Buddy

WC 852 question

I am brand new to using surplus powders. I've read what I can about "fast" and "slow" WC 852, and nearly all of the determining factors seem to require knowing the lot number.

A friend of mine's father passed, and my friend is going through all his reloading stuff, and he has at least one full jug of WC 852. It has a label taped to it that just says to "use H-380 data" It is most likely put there by the seller, as it has the price on it, along with the weight of the jug.

Has anyone else used 852 powder that is labeled like that? I am assuming that I would be safe to start at the low end of charges listed in manuals for H-380, for my application? Is that a relatively safe assumption?

I looked at the powder, and it is a very finely grained ball powder....

thanks for any advice you can give....

Boolit Master

I bought and used a 8lb. jug of 852 several years ago off Jeff Bartlett and he said to use W870 reloading data for it. Worked out just fine in my 8mm Mauser and 30-06 rifles. But he knew the lot number to go by and that is necessary with that particular powder. james

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I bought and used a 8lb. jug of 852 several years ago off Jeff Bartlett and he said to use W870 reloading data for it. Worked out just fine in my 8mm Mauser and 30-06 rifles. But he knew the lot number to go by and that is necessary with that particular powder. james
    Thanks for the reply.... I'm leaning toward using the H-380 data, since the label is almost certainly put on there by the seller.... who should know the burn rate, I suppose.

Suggest you give Jeff a call. If there’s a lot-lot difference he’ll know it. Look under “GI Brass” for his number

Jeff Bartlett
    (270) 685-2432 or (800) 714-6348
    jeff@gibrass.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Suggest you give Jeff a call. If there’s a lot-lot difference he’ll know it. Look under “GI Brass” for his number
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Jeff Bartlett
    (270) 685-2432 or (800) 714-6348
    jeff@gibrass.com
    Thanks for that. I will give him a call... although I'm not sure what he can do without the lot number. Perhaps he'll recognize the label on it....

Boolit Buddy
    TNsailorman:

I have a jug of that, it's in a white one gallon bleach type jug, does the label say:

WC852 8# $60.00
    - USE H 380 LOADING DATA-

I bought mine from a seller at the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show probably 15?-20? years ago. We always used H380 data........

I don't think it came from Jeff Bartlett originally. I think the powder Jeff sells has his name on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by relics6165 View Post
    TNsailorman:

I have a jug of that, it's in a white one gallon bleach type jug, does the label say:

WC852 8# $60.00
    - USE H 380 LOADING DATA-

I bought mine from a seller at the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show probably 15?-20? years ago. We always used H380 data........

I don't think it came from Jeff Bartlett originally. I think the powder Jeff sells has his name on it.
    Absolutely.... that's exactly what this one says. I think it was my friend's dad that wrote in marks a lot "4-02", which, if it was the date, is in the same time frame as your purchase. And he lived in the Dallas area, very likely attending all the gun shows..... this is a pic of the jug...

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, that's it. I'm almost positive we bought them from the same guy. Same label, same jug, same place. I think you will be fine with H380 data, my brother has used quite a bit of it in 280 Remington and 30-06. Start low and work up!

Small world....................

Now, if we could still buy 8 pounds for 60 bucks!

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't that the truth.... This one ought to last me a while. It's pretty much a full jug. I haven't weighed it, but it's a bunch of powder. And my buddy might have another jug of it. He's still going through his dad's stuff. I might be set for a while. He had two full cans of H-335 that look to be from the 70's or so......
    He found a thousand or so large rifle primers. I'm hoping he can find some large pistol...
    I'm going to be loading some 7-08 for him, but other than that, he's pretty much said all the components are mine, as he doesn't reload.

Banned

i was told it has a burn rate close to 4831. Ive got about 6lbs of it in a jug ive never tried because im not sure and i hate to work up a good load for a gun when i cant get more to replace it and would just have to start over.

Boolit Master

My jug had no label recommendations on it. A simple label saying it was 852 surplus powder and Jeff's name. I bought it directly from him. That is why I contacted Jeff and was told to use W870 data. I had the slower burning powder, the 380 recommendation is evidently for a quicker burning powder. My jug was burned up years ago. He did not have anymore when I contacted him after using all my jug up. james