Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dacron alternatives

Boolit Man

Dacron alternatives

I've got a couple bottles of Blackhorn 209 I was going to try in a couple different cartridge loads and on there web site they have metallic cartridge load data posted and it states to use Dacron filler on top of powder. I've read all the threads I care to on here and a few other places on the use of Dacron and Dacron is a Dupont product and the store I went to had probably 20 different brands of pillow filler or stuffing material and it all is 100% polyester which I'm assuming Dacron is, so I bought a small bag of another brand that will last a lot longer than the Blackhorn will. I'm assuming any pillow / stuff toy filler will work it doesn't necessarily have to have Dacron stamped on it am I correct or not???
    Reason I'm assuming this is I saw guys on the internet pages saying they couldn't find Dacron and guys were telling them to just get an old pillow or stuffed toy and remove the stuffing and use that. On Blackhorns website they show a load for 45 colt, 45-70 and 45-100 that required Dacron filler on top of powder that I want to try this weekend in a few rounds to see how it does.
    Thanks
    Chris Wilson

Boolit Master
    Go to
    CB Loads, Your Favorite Cartridge
    There is a sticky there about using fillers.

I use a sheet of polyester filler.
    It’s about 3/8" thick.
    Bought a square metre years ago.
    They seem to change every time I need new stuff.

The strands are fine and you can tease a light fluffy tuft out of it like cotton wool but fluffier and a bit thicker strands and doesn’t stay in a wad if you compress it.

I tried the toy stuffing but it has thick hair like threads that seem to want to stay individual when teased out.

That probably sounded as clear as mud.
    Anyway.
    Read the sticky.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 03-05-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Dacron isn't a "product" but is a trade name (Dupont's) for polyester fill or "batting" (the sheets barrabruce mentions). The polyester, as long as it is 100%, you have will work fine. Although I also use the "batting" sheets and cut into squares as I've found it much easier and quicker.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    Yea I guess I went the long way around in just asking is Dacron simply 100% polyfill? like all the others on the shelve? Thanks
    Chris Wilson

Blackhorn 209 doesn't need full-fill/compression like BP ?

Boolit Master

I use the guys from old pillows.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Go find some cattails, and shred the heads. Instant kapok.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    I'm not compressing the 209 I'm just using a filler on top like the web site says. I read the sticky recommended by barrabruce, lots of info but I just wanted to make sure any 100% polyester backing / fill would work that it didn't have to specifically be Dacron. Thanks guys.

Boolit Buddy

Don't forget good old kapok.

Boolit Master

There was a big push on using the green foam that florists use for a while. Haven't seen any mention of it lately. Maybe somebody will chime in here. When I want dacron, I go to Walmart and buy a bag of the quilting sheets they sell. Easy to cut, fold and stuff in case with the right sized dowel./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I would just make sure it says dacron or polyester.

FWIW, the quilting batting my wife uses is cotton, not polyester. Might not make a difference.

Go get some starch packing peanuts from Staples. Use a piece to stabilize the powder column.

Upon firing...merely a translucent white ball of thin dust about 12" in diameter surrounding
    the muzzle.

Boolit Buddy
    Just empty the lint from your dryer, works just as well as dacron and you
    have a never ending supply. Cost is nothing, talk about cheep.

Moderator Emeritus

In the last month, one ebay shipment of tools I received was packed with sheets of polyester fill ...SCORE !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

unfortunately, polyester ...melts.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    unfortunately, polyester ...melts.
    Never found that to be the case when used properly as a filler in cartridges. In larger cartridges such as in the 45-70 I've observed small shards floating down (especially noticeable if the wind is in your face) after the shot. Never found any indication/trace of any "melted" dacron in the bore or on the base of any recovered GC/bullet and I have literally shot thousands, if not a hundred thousand+, of cast bullet loads with dacron in them.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Same here...have never seen a trace of dacron left after a shot . If you are seeing any then you are probably using too much. The light puff of it needed to take up space between bullet and powder is easily consumed within the barrel.

Boolit Master

Never seen a trace either of the dacron... but I could also smell the burnt plastic.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    i use toilet paper in my 45-70 .quarter sheet pushed down with a pencil ,nothing left after firing.

My young Lab female lives to "liberate" filler from stuffed animals. I have a few totes upstairs full of the things. Some is more coarse than others but I have never seen any performance difference.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast