Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Mew mold preparation question

Boolit Bub

New mold preparation question

I have two new, multiple-cavity molds, a Lee and MP mold. The Lee is aluminum and the MP is brass.

I’ve ready many like to clean the molds with white gas (Coleman fuel) or mineral spirits... or boil with dish soap, which leaves some kind of protective coating/oxide on the molds.

If going the boiling route do you put the whole thing in the pot? Or do you take the spruce plate, screws, etc. off till you get it down to just the mold (or as close as you can if there are press-fit parts)?
    Last edited by Mmacro; 03-05-2021 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Fat-finger spelling error
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    My latest Lee six cavity, I just sprayed it down with brake cleaner and wiped it with paper towels a couple of times; then lubed the alignment pins, sprue plate contact points and the side of the block the cam presses on with aluminum anti seize compound.

Over the course of a few days I then cast a bit over 1,200 wadcutters for my .38 Specials.

A brass mold I would heat cycle three or four times before casting with, just to get a bit of patina so lead won't stick as easily.

Robert

Super Moderator

I do as Mk42gunner. Inexpensive carb / brake cleaner. Double check for brass/copper thread protectors on the sprueplate pivot bolt keeper setscrew, and provide same if missing.

Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve seen a lot of different methods for prepping a mould discussed here. I wash mine with brake cleaner followed by hot water and dish detergent. Some times they just need to be used a little to get broken in. Brass could be different. I only have steel and aluminum moulds. When done casting, I spray mine down with Ballistol and then use the same procedure when taking them out of storage.

Following Full Lead Tacos method I wash them in hot soapy water and heat cycle 4 times on a hot plate. Getting the mold up to 400° per NOE instructions.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RockRat64 View Post
    Following Full Lead Tacos method I wash them in hot soapy water and heat cycle 4 times on a hot plate. Getting the mold up to 400° per NOE instructions.
    Same here. Hot soapy water, then four heat cycles in the oven.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    I boil them in soapy water, completely immersing them and making sure they stay immersed. Steel or iron will rust at the water line. Then I dry them with a hair dryer. Brass molds then get heat cycled 3-4 times. Lee molds in particular seem to benefit from boiling to remove the cutting oil from the cavities.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a K.I.S.S. kinda guy and I use non chlorinated brake clean most often. I tried mineral spirits but it seemed to leave a tiny but of residue, and acetone or brake clean leaves nothing, just bare metal. I haven't heard of boiling in soapy water leaving a "protective coating" and I don't want anything in my new molds. I clean very well and "season" on my hot plate. I'll lightly lube the pivot points on my mold and heat it to very hot, a bit over casting temp. for a few minutes and allow to cool. Repeat this cycle 4-5 time and start casting. Many/most time I'll get good bullets right from the start, but sometimes it'll take 10 to 15 pours to get 95%-100% keepers.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I store my iron molds in oil.
    I'll wash them in gasoline, then clean/rinse them with carb. cleaner, keep a little 2 stroke oil handy for the sprue plate and get right to it.
    I do the same thing with a new one.

Like Grandma's old cast iron frying pan, they get better & better with use.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    my most recent mp molds had very hard to remove cutting fluid residue and I had to clean it by scrubbing with old tee shirt soaked in 90%alchohol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    my most recent mp molds had very hard to remove cutting fluid residue and I had to clean it by scrubbing with old tee shirt soaked in 90%alchohol
    Brakekleen and dishwash works for me with all molds.

Then four heat cycles and cast perfect.

Yes it takes some patience to cycle them. The other option is sticking bullets, smearing sprue plate etc.