Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Alternitives to Lyman 314299 mold?

Boolit Buddy

Alternitives to Lyman 314299 mold?

The best, most accurate boolet I've tried for my Krag and .308 have been 314299s sized .311. I had been loaned the mold by a friend and gave it back to him. Being a broke minimalist I have resisted splurging on a mold. Having some extra cash just now, I've thought about buying one, but : Where?

I know the 3XX299s are around and maybe a 312299 would work as well, but I've had no luck finding one. I'd like the four gang mold like the Lyman Lyle loaned me.

I'm not familiar with mold companies and hate to spend over $100 for it, with handles, but Is there any chance that this is possible?

Boolit Grand Master
    Definite chance of you spending over $100, but NOE makes a 314-210 RN GC that should tickle your fancy. They make 2, 3 4 and 5 cavity molds, ranging from $79 to $119, depending on number of cavities and whether brass or aluminum. Arsenal has a similar boolit, but only available in .311-331 form. Accurate has a similar boolit, but flat nose only.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=31-200L

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog...catalog-anchor

Here’s a copy by Accurate. It’ll be more than $100, but the quality is way above Lyman. No comparison. And with the crazy prices some used molds are going for, you’re way ahead going with an Accurate mold.

As stated above, other good options available.
    Last edited by Alstep; 03-04-2021 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to go the inexpensive route... take a look at the Lee C312-185-1R .

A few years ago I was looking for a mould for my 303 British Enfield , could find nothing in .314 . Nothing ...new or used !
    A barrel slug and measure of My 1942 BSA made No.4 MK I showed that .312" would be a perfect fit... surprised the heck out of me ... was expecting .314" at least but .312" works fine .
    I bought the Lee mould fully expecting to buy a larger mould later on ... anothe shortage was going on !
    The 2 cavity Lee C312-185-1R drops boolits right at .3125" and so I run them through a .313" sizing die just to lube them and round them up.
    The boolit shoots fine so I've never bought another .
    You should be able to size it to .311" with no problems whatsoever .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...p?bullet=31-20

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog...catalog-anchor

Here’s a copy by Accurate. It’ll be more than $100, but the quality is way above Lyman. No comparison. And with the crazy prices some used molds are going for, you’re way ahead going with an Accurate mold.

As stated above, other good options available.
    Take his advise, and I agree. One poster pointed out that Tom's version has a flat nose, but it is small and unless you are trying for long range, it will not make any difference.
    Tony

If you get a NOE mould get the brass one. They are so much easier to run .

I have both the Lyman .311299 and .314299 and both produce the most accurate boolits for .30 cal there is.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Super Moderator

This is the Accurate mold inspired by the Lyman 314299. It's called the 31-200L. I ordered it "as drawn" and use it in 7.62x54R. With Accurate you can specify your dimensions to fit your needs.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=31-200L

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If you want to go the inexpensive route... take a look at the Lee C312-185-1R .

A few years ago I was looking for a mould for my 303 British Enfield , could find nothing in .314 . Nothing ...new or used !
    A barrel slug and measure of My 1942 BSA made No.4 MK I showed that .312" would be a perfect fit... surprised the heck out of me ... was expecting .314" at least but .312" works fine .
    I bought the Lee mould fully expecting to buy a larger mould later on ... anothe shortage was going on !
    The 2 cavity Lee C312-185-1R drops boolits right at .3125" and so I run them through a .313" sizing die just to lube them and round them up.
    The boolit shoots fine so I've never bought another .
    You should be able to size it to .311" with no problems whatsoever .
    Gary
    I agree with Gary. While I've not shot my 312-185 through my Krag, it does well through my 7.62 NATO and .30-30 when sized to .311". Mine from years ago drops at .3127" and has worked well enough that I haven't pursued a more expensive replacement.

Of course with the panic buying shortages, you could probably have a custom mold made and delivered before you find a cheap Lee in stock anywhere.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Check the group buy section.
    Years ago I got one of the over size 314299 clone.

Boolit Master
    Unless you are trying to reinvent this wheel; just buy Lyman 311284. Accurate can make you a BR quality mold copy. Some guy named H.M. Pope designed it about 125 years ago to shoot in some newfangled bolt action rifle the Army had adopted about 1892. I think they called them 30-40 Krags or something. I have a Krag a relative brought back from some unpleasantness in the Philippines.

Rich

Boolit Master
    My testing hasn't been extensive, but I've never been able to get the #311284 to shoot quite as accurately as the #314299 (sized to .310" or .311").

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a Lee 309-200-R mold and it does pretty good and I'll work on trying some 'slower powders" than 2400 and 4198 with it. It's just that the 314299 worked well at all power levels I tried and I just want to get a 3xx299 to keep going withit. Accurate and other clones might be as good but the 314299 has proven good and has the nose profile that works in my Krag and .308 and probably my .30-06 too.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 03-08-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    From a couple of helpful CB members I got a Lyman 314299 mold and a set of handles for a good price Thanks guys.

I'll be casting some soon and try to get my weight variations down with better mold and pot temp control.

The 31299 was my first mold back in 1963 and it remains a favorite. I was in high school at the time with a very tight budget and cast boolits allowed me to shoot my 7.65 Argentine and 303 British (a $10 surplus store Lee Enfield). Also works well in 30/06 and 308 Winchester. Mine come out of the mold at .312".

Boolit Buddy
    I received a 314299 mold from a CB member and a set of Lyman handles from another for very good prices. Thank you guys. The mold is as good as new and I'm just waiting on 40 lbs of COWW to show up from another trade I made on Selling and Swapping!

I will soon have enough lead to cast up 5,000 boolets and will be looking for primers and powder. I have enough on hand for ~1,500 rounds.

This Spring and Summer will be epic!