Thread: How Many Moulds Is Enough?

Boolit Master

Just one more

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    All of them.
    I was gonna say that !

Boolit Man

I have pondered this for 48 hours. Cargo hit it just about right in the #2 post. I postulate that you need at least one mould in each bullet shape you want. I have some "duplicates," meaning one PB and one GC in the same boolit. I have some mixed bag cavities, GC and PB in the same mould. Useful, but not the most handy except the 5 banger with 3 and 2, respectively.
    I like to load to levels my kids can comfortably shoot so they fall in love with heavies in mid-bores, like the NOE 310 in a Whelen. My 11 year old is on his way to a love affair with the Whelen, and earlier than I started shooting centerfires, let alone mid-bores! That luxury comes because of my mould collection. If this were about efficiency or minimalism, I'd have a couple rifles and a handgun and a mould for each, or one mould and guns all in the same caliber. Thankfully, that's not the case.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

I haven't counted lately but I'd guess around 150.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I joined this board, I had about 8 moulds, but now, thanks to the enablers here, a whole lot more!!!

Boolit Master
    Not very many. But, for the most part, I know what bullet type I want for each caliber I shoot.

9mm, 105SWC and 147TC
    .357, 140SWC
    .45acp, 200SWC

.50 muzzle loader, 450gn SWC

It is my .308 that has several because of different purposes. 165gn PB, 170gn GC, 210gn GC.

I do not see me buying any more. Actually may end up selling a couple.

PS I also do not have many guns anymore. Downsized a while ago to the ones I shoot/carry a lot.

Boolit Master

I need at least one workable projectile for every rod I own. Some have multiples, like 45 rifle, or pistol, 38 rifle, 30 cal rifle etc, you get the idea. I still have a couple holes in the line up, with no or only one workable but not first choice mold. I have a few hundred. Hope that helps. ha ha

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    "Enough" is when you have molds for a specific caliber that work well in your firearm and that you regularly cast in . . . . .

"Too many is when you have a "collection" of molds to use for a specific caliber but which you only used the molds that you regularly shoot and the rest sit on the shelf - sometimes for years - and never get used . . . .
    I've been casting for over 55 years . . don't ask how I know the difference . . .

Boolit Grand Master
    I am in the same boat with Jon and Charlie. Started downsizing years ago and still shedding stuff I do not need or want anymore. I am still in the buying mode on molds due to the acquisition of a Master Caster, but that means my other molds will likely be sold.

With what is going on with component supply and pricing, I will be shooting less CF so I have started to factory that in as well. When I reach for a few boxes of pistol ammunition for a range session, I do not want to wonder, "What gun is this for?".

Current plan is Magma molds:
    122 gr TC 9mm...with one load for all the 9's
    130 gr RNFP .38....bought for CAS but may sell it
    158 gr SWC .38/.357....nickel cases for light loads and brass cases for heavy loads
    180 gr FP .40...one load for all the .40's

I have a MiHec .223 NATO mold and for the .30 calibers three molds.

For the shotguns, Lyman slug mold and Lee buckshot mold.

I might try casting for the .22 PCP gun if I want to punish and humble myself...LOL
    Last edited by dverna; 03-06-2021 at 01:47 PM.
    Don Verna

Mr. Potterfield at Midway USA has the answer to your question......
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Buddy
    How many molds is enough? I just bought one for a caliber I don't have, yet!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
    How many molds is enough? I just bought one for a caliber I don't have, yet!
    That's a common excuse for buying another gun. No extra points here. Maybe some at home? LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I was given 250+pieces of brass for a cartridge that I don't have.

So you all know what that means.......

Boolit Master
    last count, less than 100. About 50 for rifle, 30 for handguns, and three for shotguns.
    I just bought another Shiloh Sharps Montana Rough Rider in, ready for this: 30-40 Krag. The good news; I have 9 or 10 .30 caliber molds, so there is a whole summer's worth of experimenting ahead of me.

thanks for asking,

Rich

Boolit Master
    I only cast for four calibers. .44, .38, 9mm and .30. I have three .44 molds, three .38 molds, two 9mm molds and three .30 molds. I have a mold in each caliber that I do not use much but I keep them around because they might work well in a new gun. I may add a heavier boolit .44 mold for my new Henry single shot. I really do need to try some hp molds though.

Boolit Master
    There is only one answer. 1 mold to fill each purpose for a firearm.

Boolit Master

“Enough” is one for every boolit you want to cast. Anything more is excess that can lead to purchasing additional firearms.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I know its time to slow down when you start accidentally buying duplicates because you forget what you own.

Boolit Master
    when you have to build a new building to hold all your stuff, you might be real close to having enough.

Boolit Master
    A lightweight 'plinking' mold, a flat point hunting mold and a 'pointy' long range mold is necessary for each caliber. In some cases, another one or two mold might be needed in some calibers to properly fit a throat for accuracy or accommodate certain calibers like a .316 for the P14 .303 British or whatever. A high volume mold for the 9mm, 40, and 45 is good. When I buy a firearm, if it is a new caliber, a mold is added, even for calibers where lead bullets normally are not considered like the .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Properly kept molds won't spoil and take little room.

Oh yeah, I did put a new building for my stuff.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast