Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How Many Moulds Is Enough?

Boolit Bub
    I have 20 with one more on order. Most came in a package deal when I stated casting late last year. I have a few duplicates and some triplicates. I’ve thought of selling some of the ones that I don’t load for or even have a gun to shoot them, but I probably won’t.
    I have to many guns still on my wish list.
    David

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Be careful before you start selling some. If you have doubles it may be because the first one had problems, requiring a second one to be bought.

Moderator Emeritus

when I was in my accumulating phase, I was buying several molds each month. Then about 5 years ago, I had a downsizing auction and sold many unloaders and related stuff. Now, it seems one or two molds per gun is all I want, except for 41 mag...I can't seem to acquire enough molds in 41 cal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    when I was in my accumulating phase, I was buying several molds each month. Then about 5 years ago, I had a downsizing auction and sold many unloaders and related stuff. Now, it seems one or two molds per gun is all I want, except for 41 mag...I can't seem to acquire enough molds in 41 cal.
    Sounds like you have a 41 that's special to you.

My first thought when I heard multiple moulds, was tandem casting.

Boolit Buddy
    Have a friend who cast bullets for pistol and rifle several years ago so a lot of his stuff is older. He has many molds that just sit around. I only cast for 9, 38/357, 40, and 45. I don't want multiple molds sitting around, I want those that work and get them perfected. It's like having lots of guns that are not accurate sitting around, what's the point? I have an RCBS for my 38/158 grain SWC needs and picked up an Arsenal version of the same mold. Also a Saeco WC for that caliber. For the 9 I use a NOE that I can size for lighter 38's and medium 9's. Works great. A couple Lee's for my 40 and 45 and I have all I need.

Boolit Master
    At least 8 molds in each caliber minimum.

When explaining to someone of the female persuasion, say "They are like shoes".
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    How many molds are enough? "A lot."
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Man
    I have all of the moulds I will ever need, unless I see another one that tickles my fancy!! Kind of like yesterday.

Boolit Grand Master
    How Many Moulds Is Enough?

they way you talk !!
    I don't think that there is a enough
    when I get a new cartridge its always what mold do I get
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Beware, obviously a trick question!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I have no idea how many molds are enough. I'm still buying them. More than I presently have anyway.

Did my wife tell you to ask this?
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Having enough molds is totally dependent on the number of owned firearms, different calibers and bullet weights needed for each caliber shooting distance. Bang paper at 25 yds with the only owned firearm .... answer is none, just buy the bullets
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Acquire what ever you can find and afford these days! I have a ton of them for most weight classes and designs in the 7 cals I load for.

Right now is not the opportune time to go out mold searching, due to the extreme shortages and ridiculous prices out there. Hand onto your $$ and wait it out, keeping an eye out for the rare bargain that may pop up.

Boolit Master
    You guys are a bad influence, I just pulled the trigger on a new mould from Accurate... a nice 4-cavity 245gr NLG for for subsonic 357 loads. If I can get them to shoot straight, I will need a suppressor to go with the mould, and if you're doing the paperwork anyway you might as well SBR the frame of your Encore...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Well, I just don't know. A good example would be I made a promise to myself I wouldn't get into casting for autos for myself and have kept that promise. My shooting partner wanted a 230 grain for a 45 so I got one. As it wasn't for me and I will only use them in a 45 Colt I am still good.

Boolit Grand Master

I've always been a mould accumulator ... I see one and think it looks interesting and buy it .
    Yard sales , Estate Sales and Flea Markets ... I will buy any mould that's priced right ( under $10.00).
    E-Bay ... Oh My God ... I had to stop going to that evil place ... it makes buying old boolit moulds way too easy... especially when you know your wife's Pay-Pal account number... that was an addiction I had to break ... but fun while it lasted !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    when i find a boolit mold i like and shoots well i keep it . cast for 223/308/357/45-70 .still on the hunt.only 8 at the moment.

Boolit Buddy
    I had only 5 or 6 for a long time. My local shop bought out several estates and acquired several molds. He sold like new molds for $30 to $60 and now I have about 30 molds from H&G, Ideal, Saeco, RCBS, Cramer, and others. I like buying a mold cleaning it and then casting about a thousand of that design. I only buy molds that the design appeals to me. Still keeping my eyes open for others.

Boolit Master
    I got about 15 molds in a trade years ago.

That said i have found several molds that i think might be better so i got them.

Lately i have been on a N.O.E mold buying spree.

It has given me options in pistol and in rifles that now can't do without.

Maybe one day there won't be one or two that peak mt interest.

But always on the lookout for that one special one.

Keeps it interesting.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast