RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: What bullets to stock up on..

Boolit Buddy

What bullets to stock up on..

Humor me if you will...

I am buying components for my use and for my kids to use after I’m gone. I’m stocking up on whatever I can. I was thinking that a 158gr LSWC for a 38/357, a 240gr LWSC for the 44, and a 230gr LRN, all powdercoated, would do just about anything you could want in a handgun and would cover most of the bases.
    Thanks to this forum and others, I am moving away from JHP bullets for my handguns.

How does that sound?

Boolit Buddy
    We must be loosely related. I did almost the same thing. I went with the 156 swc/hp for 38/357, 255 rnfp for 45 lc and 200 swc for the acp. I also have 148 wc for the wife's snubbie.
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    Why stock up? If you aren't shooting a lot then don't, at least not now when prices are sky high.

Why move away from JHP's? Are they too expensive? Or just cause you can't find them in stock?

If you are just trying to decide on some bullet molds to buy then those are good choices for those calibers. Buy from NOE or Accurate Molds (or other small mfg) to avoid being over charged.

Please do not buy a bunch of bullets/molds just because you think the world is coming to an end.

"Please do not buy a bunch of bullets/molds just because you think the world is coming to an end."

Too late that happened when obama was potus!

Boolit Buddy
    No, not like that. I’m still shooting stuff that Dad and Uncle bought 30 years ago, including primers. I’m just buying up some bullets. I won’t pay the inflated prices that people are paying. I was looking for a general opinion of those bullet choices for the guns listed. Like I told someone today if the end of the world scenario comes when ppl are just blasting ppl in the street it really won’t matter what bullets people are shooting.
    As far as JHP bullets, sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. I know when I am hunting I want two holes, that’s why I use a 500JRH with cast bullets

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    How does that sound?
    Those all sound like solid, standard choices to me.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

Full weight flat point lead bullets at near max velocity are always a good choice in all around loads. They may not be the best choice in any scenario but they are never wrong. JMHO-YMMV...............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Reading the tea leaves, 9mm seems to be becoming the national standard for LE and civilian autoloaders. Something in a 125-135 grain LFN / RNFP at .357" diameter might be worth having around.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Reading the tea leaves, 9mm seems to be becoming the national standard for LE and civilian autoloaders. Something in a 125-135 grain LFN / RNFP at .357" diameter might be worth having around.
    Yeah, a 135gr truncated cone will work............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    That is what is show now for how things been going to . Also for the weights to use .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I like to plan ahead myself.

I look at things a little differently. I look at raw lead materials, and think; "If I'm gone, and my family has to use or sell stuff, what's the best way for them to do so?"
    So, I've been trying to smelt the raw stuff into ingots,, first. Marking each one with what it is.
    Next,, I smelt it into the alloy I prefer. Again, I mark it with what it is.
    Then, I take a bullet mold, and start casting. I cast around 3000 or so of that one bullet, and mark the boxes with what they are.
    I make sure I cast enough to allow me to use whatever I wish, AND if my family needs to continue they also have a good quantity. And Lastly,, if I'm gone,, and they need money,, or have no desires of using XYZ bullet,, they can easily sell that bullet for more than what the raw materials would have sold for.
    So, I prefer to have a good mix of popular bullets on hand. Of various flavors,, so that I, as well as my family,, will have choices.

USMC 77, USRA 79

instead of stocking up, how about casting up! we are Boolit makers!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Marko is right. My fear is an outright ban on lead bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    No, not like that. I’m still shooting stuff that Dad and Uncle bought 30 years ago, including primers. I’m just buying up some bullets. I won’t pay the inflated prices that people are paying. I was looking for a general opinion of those bullet choices for the guns listed. Like I told someone today if the end of the world scenario comes when ppl are just blasting ppl in the street it really won’t matter what bullets people are shooting.
    As far as JHP bullets, sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. I know when I am hunting I want two holes, that’s why I use a 500JRH with cast bullets
    Then don't buy anything today unless you find it at normal prices. Yes things will go back to 'normal'.

Boolit Buddy
    + 1,, I cast a lot of boolits!!!!!

This should cover it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210302_131927.jpg  

A Mould is cheaper than a lifetime supply of boolits at our current price range. Buy the Moulds, source the lead and teach your family how to ensure their hobby.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I never stock up on com ammo. I MAKE IT!

Now is definitely NOT the time to be wasting your money on com ammo at these ridiculous high prices. Wait a spell....save your money. BTW.........money inherits a whole lot better than guns and ammo!!!!!!

My kids want my inheritance MONEY and not junk in my casting shed. (direct quote) They prefer lots of money, rather than lots of rounds of ammo and guns.

Not everybody in this world thinks in "guns & ammo". Ask them what they would prefer. You may be surprised.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was shooting competitively I did not have time to cast so I purchased cast bullets. Must have bought about 200k.

If you have the time to cast, buy a Master Caster $1100. Molds are $100. You can cast 400-500/hr without a lot of effort and it is easy to cast 2000 bullets a day. You can normally buy alloy for under $1.25 delivered. So 1000 122 gr 9mm bullets will cost $22, 158 gr .38's will cost $28. and 240 gr bullets will cost $43

The advantage is not only is less capital tied up, but if your interests change, you do not have 1000's of bullets of the wrong type. I recently had to sell 9k .45 bullets I bought 15 years ago as I am getting out of that caliber.

Having a $100 mold you may not use much 10 years from now is a lot better than 20k bullets you wish were different.

BTW, I wish I had not bought all those bullets back then. I pissed away a lot of money and was too lazy to cast. I bought a Master Caster when I retired and will not buy bullets again unless I want to try something new.

To answer your question, if I was going to buy bullets for the long haul, I would get the ones you selected for the .38/.357 and .44. I would get the 200 gr SWC bullet for the .45.
    Don Verna