Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Need help with a dog issue - placing a dog in a good home after master's death

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Need help with a dog issue - placing a dog in a good home after master's death

I have a question and hope someone can answer –

Long story short – my wife and I had a very dear friend who passed away on December 15 – her two daughters are like daughters to us. Our friend was 73 and she had an older Westie and an Airedale. The one daughter was able to take the Westie (her family already had two dogs) because the Westie has medical issues and probably won’t last more than another year or two. The Airedale they were able to place with a family who already had an Airedale – they took the Airedale (male, neutered) to see how it would blend in and after several days, had to give him back. The two dogs just didn’t get along.

No doubt that our friend’s Airedale is totally confused about the situation – what dog wouldn’t be. So the other daughter took the Airedale to her home – they have two girls – one at home and in college and the other still in high school – nice kids who love the dog but they have several cats and it was not a good mix – so further confusion for the poor Airedale. They found a family who had three daughters and they agreed to take the dog – dog ended up snipping the oldest girl. Nobody knows what really went on as the girl was alone at the time with the dog – but, again – the Airedale is totally confused about what has gone on and its life has been turned upside down so naturally, it is insecure. At this point, we have talked to the girls – who are trying their hardest to place the dog and at the same time, do what they think their mother would have wanted. They know that it may come to having to have the dog put down – something which they and we hate to see as it really is a nice dog, just totally confused and insecure at this point.

My suggestion is that I think the dog needs to go to a man who can bond with the dog, the man be the alpha in the relationship and where it is the only dog so as not to add another issue of having to compete with another dog – somewhere that it can be loved and adjust to having a new home where it will feel secure. At this point in time, it’s like anywhere else – the dog shelters have more than they can handle and the two girls are running out of solutions. I know the dog – he is a big goofball and I know he would do well where he could be best buddies with a guy – go for rides with him (the dog loves to ride in a car) – be where he could get exercise and be loved.

The dog is in lower Michigan. My wife and I were talking and she remembered that there were some organizations that worked to place dogs with veterans who were in need of companionship, help with PTSD and those sorts of things.

Any suggestions? My wife and I would take him in a heart beat but we have two dogs and I am not able to be as mobile as I once was as far as taking the dog for long walks, etc. It’s a sad situation as the dog lost its owner suddenly and as a result, has lost the security it had in the loving home it had – a story too often repeated.

The girls have been contacting various animal shelters (no kill shelters) but most are filled to capacity. If anyone knows of an organization that helps place dogs with vets or similar – let me know and I will pass the information on to them.

I don't mean to sound sexist when I say I think the dog needs to go to a man. It is a full size Airedale and lived with a woman who was kind and gentle with him - basically spoiled him as we all o with our dogs. He probably would do well with a single woman or a couple without kids where he could be the focal point until he starts to feel secure in his surrounds and can bond with someone who will be there for him and he can have some continuity in his life.

Anyone know of a good organization that places dogs with those who need them we'd sure appreciate knowing about them so the girls can contact them.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I think you went over all the good options. its just a matter of getting the word out to find it a good home.
    when I moved into the place im at now the old woman left two dogs months before when she moved out, left the dogs behind. two neighbors would come over to feed them but they pretty much stayed on the porch from what I understand. one got run over in the road and the other was here when we moved in. it was knappy unkept had giant growths out of its joints and side. right when we got it feeling good a couple weeks after getting here, well fed, kind of groomed and wagging its tail. it did something crazy. it jumped under the wheel of a truck that was backing out of driveway. I rushed it to a vet. the vet was beyond mad, she asked if it was my dog, I told her the story how it came with the house. I thought she was gonna have the sheriff arrest me for animal abuse, she went on and on how with the giant cancer lesions on it the dog should have been put down long ago.
    hope your able to place the pet with good people.

Boolit Master
    I have no direct knowledge of this option, but perhaps you could pass it on to the daughters.

https://www.petsforvets.com/

If any member has personal knowledge of this group, good or bad, please post your information. Thank you. Dusty

Boolit Master

Usually there is a breed specific rescue group. I would search the net for one for Airedales. People there know the breed and many are looking to adopt.

Boolit Master
    You're doing a good deed. Contact your local Humane Society, they can get the word out.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If affordable, shelters that are full, may find room for a sizable donation.

Moderator Emeritus

To bad it can't get along with cats or I would take it. I have a huge yard it could run in, I walk almost every day weather permitting and used to have my lab with me in the car all the time.

Boolit Master

I would really like to get a dog, but I am at the age where a dog will out live me.
    Any dog that has a strong bond to a person that dies or leaves never gets over the loss. Seen it, and there is no way I could do that to a dog.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Thank you everyone.

We talked to the one daughter last night and they have the dog back at their mother's house where it is at least in familiar surroundings and it has helped in getting the dog settled down. Each of the girls and their daughters go over a number of times during the day to play with him and spend some time so he is feeling a bit more secure. We are in contact with the girls and they have made contact with the Airedale Rescue and are getting some help from them as far as trying to get the dog placed in the right environment. They have a coupe who is interested in the dog - he is a retired LE Detective and his wife still works part time - no children - they have a fenced in backyard and both are active individuals so it looks promising. The couple have been wanting a dog for a long time - evidently they have had several larger dogs over the years and now that the husband is retired, it sounds like the dog would have a good buddy to be around. We are keeping our fingers crossed that it all works out.

Those that have dogs will understand how hard it is on an animal to lose their Master or even another "dog buddy" that lived in the same household. My wife and I hvve had two dogs most of our married life. I had taken in a Jack Russell rescue many years ago - he turned out to be a great dog and had a great personality. At there same time, we had a Cairn Terrier - they were great buddies. The Cairn Terrier got suddenly sick - pancreas issues - we had it at our vets so it could be watched 24/7 and they made a great effort to save it but it passed away. Our Jack Russel went into mourning over it and I could not get him to eat for almost two weeks - I tried everything from different dog foods to even getting a steak and cooking it to cut up and feed him. He moped around and had no interest in anything. It was to the point that our Vet was about ready to put a feeding tube in him to get him to provide nourishment. After about two weeks, he suddenly snapped out of it and began eating and started getting back to normal.

Dogs have just as strong of a bond with those that care for them and unfortunately, when their caretaker passes, we can't communicate with them to provide the comfort and security they need other than by "being there" and reassuring them by gaining their trust that everything is alright. It is just as hare on an animal as it would be on a child to suddenly lose their caretaker and all of the confusion afterwards.

Hopefully this will all work out for Ben and he will find a loving home where he can have security and have a good life. I know that there are a lot of folks who aren't dog or cat people - but if anyone has just a bit of wanting a dog or a cat - explore it further. There are so many out there in shelters that need a good and loving home home - the rewards of adopting an animal that needs a good home are so great and if you can't - then please consider a donation to a local animal rescue or humane society - most have to work on a shoestring and every dime helps them continue the good work they do.

Thank you for your kind responses - it's greatly appreciated and we have passed on your suggestions to the girls.

Boolit Master
    Folks forget that an Airedale is a terrier and the biggest. Like a Jack Russell is on a rat, an Airedale is on game that corresponds to his size. I've seen them used for guard and police work. One fella I knew had an Airedale male that would tree a groundhog, jump up to grab a limb with his mouth and shake the hog onto the ground. He'd crush the skull with his bite. Not an animal to share space with smaller critters and an owner that's unprepared for their strength.

Boolit Master
    Most of the organizations that provide dogs for vets are providing service dogs. I'm sure that's going to have a major impact on your situation. If the dog can be trained - then maybe. Run a web search on dogs for vets; there are a number of organizations out there.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I apologize as I should have gotten back here and posted an update. Like many others, my wife and I have lost seven good friends since the first of December – cancer, Covid, heart, etc. – and while we are of the age that you accept these things as a part of life – well, it still has made for an emotional rollercoaster ride.

The Airedale, “Ben”, first went to a home that had another Airedale. After several days, it was evident that the two were not a good mix. The girls picked him up and kept him at their mother’s house so he would be in familiar surroundings in the hopes that he would not stress too much.

An older couple wanted him – no children and the fellow had just retired from a career as a LEO. Unfortunately, it too, was not a good fit.

Please bear in mind that when our friend had Ben, he was a wonderful, friendly and loving dog. However, dogs are not stupid and they know when “things change”. The girls each are married and each have two girls – one each in high school and one each in college – so they were careful not to possibly expose their mother to COVID but they kept in touch by phone – it just happened that both girls had work going and things with their kids so between the two of them, until they compared notes, finally realized that neither had talked to their mother for a couple of days – not unusual – and unfortunately, she was working on a quilt, stood up to get something and just dropped dead. It was several days before it was discovered, so Ben and the other older Schnauzer were in the house alone with her – and of course – dogs cand and do recognize the change as well as death.

The girls were finally able to get in touch with a person who worked for the Airedale Rescue organization in Michigan and after a number of discussions, it was decided that Ben would go to that organization. The plan was to have one of the more experienced members “foster care” Ben so tht they could work with him. The poor dog . . . anyone who is a “dog person” knows that they will grieve in their own way – whether the loss of their master or the loss of another dog that they lived with – and like adults and children – everyone acts out and responds and grieves in their own way.

Once the foster individual can get Ben to the point where he is settled down and feeling more secure, they will slowly work him into a new home where they know the people are familiar with Airedales and where Ben will be able to bond and have a happy, loving and secure life.

My wife and I are both “older” – we never had kids so our dogs have always been our “kids” over the last 48 years that we have been married. I can’t walk longer distances anymore and we had two dogs (we had to say goodbye to one of ours this past Monday – he would have been 16 the first of May and as hard as it was, it was the last gift of love that we could give him) – if not for that, we would have taken Ben as we knew what a great dog he was.

So for Ben . . . . as sad as the situation was – he ended up with the right people who will see that he will go to the right home that is a good “fit” for him where he can feel secure, be loved and have a good life until it is time for him to join our dear friend.

I sincerely thank all that posted to offer their suggestions – I know there are lots of good folks on here who treasure their pets and may God Bless all of you. Thank you.

Jim

Boolit Man
    Who is ruling the roost here? I believe you’re overthinking this situation. I would put the dog in the best home you can, wherever that might be. Leave him there long enough to get his head straight and teach him how he is supposed to act. Love him up big time and administer the corrections needed. My 2cents. Good luck!

CBH - Not overthinking it at all and that is exactly what the Airedale Rescue will do. It's a little hard when you have folks who say "we want the dog' and then once they get him, because he is scared and dodnfused and acts out, suddenly decide it is too much work to help the dog adjust - which is what happened twice. The rescue folks will work with him and get him, into a place where the people will have the patience to get him, adjusted, show him love and train him, as far as behavior boundaries, etc. - which is best for the dog. In years past, I have seen similar situations where there is no patience shown by the "adoptees" and they try to beat the dog into submission and good behavior - it don't work with animals edit don't work with people.

A good example . . . we have a single lady down the street here in AZ who adopted a nice little scruffy mongrel from the animal shelter. She had the dog for a number of months - he ws totally devoted to her - loved to take walks, etc. My wife saw here the other day while she was walking our little poodle and the dog wasn't with the lady. She asked her where the dog was and she told wife that the dog development-ped diabetes so she took it to the shelter and left it s she didn't want to be :tied down" by having to take care of there dog. Really? That tells me a lot about the woman's character right there. I hope I run into her so I can ask her where her daughter is going to drop her off at or what home she is gong to place her in if she develops diabetes or any other health issue. Owning a pet comes with responsibility for the animal - good or bad - not unlike marriage - through sickness and health. Those who said that they wanted Ben obviously weren't prepared to take the good with the bad, have patience and work with him to get him, through a bad time and get him adjusted to new people and surroundings. Some people are meant to have pets and some are not.