RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb cleaner

Carb cleaner

Pulled the carb off an ATV that has sat for 10 years. It is bad. Really bad. The deposits just flip the middle finger to my carb cleaner. Any suggestions on something stronger that won't eat plastic or gaskets?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Man
    Dental picks and elbow grease? I personally would just bite the bullet and buy new one.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’d would put it in a bowl and drown it in carb cleaner. Let it sit for a day and then scrub it.

Boolit Master
    Boil it in water with some detergent added. It will take the "gooey" out of it and leave some dry deposits than can be scraped, or wire brushed off, and then finish up with some aerosol carb and choke cleaner.

The carb cleaner that you can soak it in is a total joke anymore and a complete waste of time. It simply does not work.

Boolit Master
    I bought a can (about 1 gal size) of carb cleaner from NAPA about a year ago to clean an auto type carb on a boat. It's the same stuff that has been used for many years. It worked very well on my boat carb that had been sitting for several years. It's not cheap, about $30 if IIRC. And I don't know what it will do to plastic. I have found the spray can stuff to not be effective.
    I would check amazon for a new carb as they are very cheap for some applications.

Boolit Master
    At one time I did auto repair and we rebuilt carburetors. We used a product called Gunk Hydroseal which worked very well. I haven't bought any in years and I see that the formulation has changed. I can't say if it still works as good. It's an emersion type cleaner, reusable and not cheap.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Alot of the old ATV carbs brand new are listed on eBay the last I checked for under $50 brand new.
    Other folks may have had luck with those cheaper carburetors, but I have not. I put one on my Yamaha and the throttle sometimes sticks and it won't idle properly. My cousin has had similar issues with one that he bought

Ultrasonic cleaner?

Ultrasonic cleaner with carb cleaner in the water. Ive done it for carbs, but none as bad as yours. Id probably use close to 100% cleaner no water.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Grand Master

That NAPA carb in a can, and all carb paint can stuff is a joke. Might as well use soapy water. The strongest cleaner on the market today is B12 chemtool. That stuff will melt the skin off your hands. I would soak them in a metal bowl with B12.

Soak it in Pine-sol. Won't eat plastic and rubber

Boolit Master
    go to your local omc marine dealership and get a can of engine tuner. omc engine tuner.
    fil the float bowl and place carb body back on top and let it soak 24 hours. it will eat all that lacquered stuff and not damage any plastic, rubber or metal parts. and if its real stubborn go at it with an old tooth brush and more engine tuner

Boolit Master
    B12 is great, no residue but you need the immersion type that comes in a gallon can, cleans off with hot water. Don't get it on your skin, or wash immediately.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy

I have had good results with Pine-sol and ultrasonic cleaner. Mostly motorcycle carbs but none have been in that shape. I've had decent luck with new carbs on eBay.

Boolit Grand Master

This is a genuine Mikuni carb I assume. They are worth cleaning. Those no-name ebay carbs are hit or miss at best. Pinesol will not touch that corrosion, which appears to only be on the copper parts. I still stand by B12, but trying vinegar is worth a shot too.

Boolit Master
    Good idea to wear safety glasses when using carb cleaner, last time i just picked up a can and went after those small holes it hit me right in the face, lesson learned. No matter which way you aim it sprays towards your eyes.

Banned

Try Kroil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Boil it in water with some detergent added. It will take the "gooey" out of it and leave some dry deposits than can be scraped, or wire brushed off, and then finish up with some aerosol carb and choke cleaner.

The carb cleaner that you can soak it in is a total joke anymore and a complete waste of time. It simply does not work.
    +1 on this suggestion! As far as gaskets I wouldn’t worry about trying to save them you’re gonna need new ones anyway
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

More Carb Cleaner and intense scrubbing with a Toothbrush ... Oral B brand usually wont melt , but check the new ones . Auto-Parts store may have a better brush for scrubbing but be very careful if you use brass ... they can scratch . Old Toothbrush will not damage and is free around my house ( I save them for this kind of work).
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Pulled the carb off an ATV that has sat for 10 years. It is bad. Really bad. The deposits just flip the middle finger to my carb cleaner. Any suggestions on something stronger that won't eat plastic or gaskets?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Get a bucket of Berryman's B12 Chemtool, and submerge it. Let it soak with the lid on tight for a couple of days, minimum. Do NOT try to reuse the gaskets. If you can't buy a rebuild kit with gaskets, make your own. Then brushes, picks, and elbow grease.
    Last edited by Scrounge; 03-03-2021 at 04:17 PM. Reason: removed photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast