MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bevel base boolit mould giving me fits

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Roll the bullets in Lee Liquid Alox = Zero complaints about lube on the base. OK, next question ...
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Yes there is a secret .
    1) Adjusting the boolit depth so it's just right ... the lube groove at the holes and make sure NO holes are at the base .
    2.) Pressure ... you have to learn to put just enough pressure on the lube supply handle to barely fill the lube groove (95% full is OK) and NO MORE pressure ...because you know where that extra lube is going to go right !
    3.) keep a towel on your leg , stretched tight and wipe any excess off if you don't get it right .

Takes a while to get the depth right and learn how to lightly put pressure on the lube supply ...
    but you can do it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Buying a Star sizer won't solve your problem unless you bought it from someone who already plugged holes. Star sizer dies came with small lead shot to be used to plug holes in the die.
    I have lived happily with a H&G #68 bevel base mold for 35 years, tho mostly with a Star sizer.
    Last edited by DonHowe; 03-08-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use the moded push rod.It can be done in a mill or lathe.you can either match the bevel on the bullet or use a simple cup design.

I like simple.for the cup i used a 3/8 carbide end mill. a simple plunge cut .005 to .010 deeper than the bevel on the bullet.ater that i Stoned a angle on the inside of the cup to bring it out to the Od to allmost sharp this will seal the lube from the bevel.lube size as any flat Based bullet.i have never done any other caliber but it should work just as well.One other thing i have done with some of my push rods is replace them with a bit bigger this prevents the warm lubes from seaping up btween the sizer die and rod.A new rod can be made from a gage pin I have noticed that some H&I die have more clerance than others so the less the better.

Yes i know this takes a mill or lathe to do.Maybe some one at you local club works in a shop where they can do it.Maybe you can find a shop where th owner is a shooter and caster.But it is a cure for the problem and would cost less to mod a few rods than buying a Star

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12