Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet tumbler on the cheap

Boolit Master

Wet tumbler on the cheap

1,000 grungy 9mm brass cases arrived today:

So I decided to experiment and bought one of these:

Turns out each drum holds about 200x 9mm cases, so I added hot water, a dash of Dawn dish-detergent and a pinch of Lemi-Shine into each drum (no pins). I ran the gadget for an hour to get a baseline, et voila:

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

If you add pins, the insides will come out just as clean.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

You may want to get a line on a spare drive belt. Check the unit but I think there was one of the rock tumbler units that was known for having a poor belt so you wanted to have a replacement on hand. Also the replacement was better quality.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Looks good the insides too.

Boolit Master

It came with a few spare belts - as for pins, the juice isn't worth the squeeze; I want cases decently clean but I don't need them to look brand-new.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Mold

I have been using one of these for about 8 years. I use pins and am careful not to overload it and have not had any belt problems, though I have a spare. Hope yours works as well as mine has.

Boolit Master
    When I started years ago, I used just boiling water with a few flakes of laundry detergent added. Rinse in hot water to help dry.

Since I had room, didn't take long for the wife to not wanting me doing reloading and case cleaning in the house. Exspecially cleaning black powder in the sink.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry but I love my shiny brass. Have been wet tumbling with SS pins for about two years. Squirt of Dawn, half tablespoon of Lemishine and two capfulls of Armorall wash and wax. With as hot as I can water out of the tap. Then I keep them in Folgers plastic coffee cans (their plastic now) sorta air proof.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    It came with a few spare belts - as for pins, the juice isn't worth the squeeze; I want cases decently clean but I don't need them to look brand-new.
    I was the same way, until I noticed that even after cleaning, my primer holes on some of my range brass was a bit clogged, and sometimes crud would build up un the insides. After you get the pins, you'll ask yourself why you waited.

Left pile before pins, right pile after, the three cases in the middle are the opposite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HiUMpSG.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	278867
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

I made a tumbler jar out of a 3" gray PVC Pipe. Found the rubber drums resulted in nasty black water after tumbling.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I'm glad you had good results but $60 for china junk is cheap?

Boolit Bub

Cheaper than the ammo or reloading company's expensive Chinese junk, produced in the next town over, sold with their logo glued to the tumbler.
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Hope u used a discount coupon at HF.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus

I have the same one and got extra belts with it. Had it for a long time now and haven't used it since moving out here four years ago. I do use pins and grabbed one of those releasing magnets for the pins. Not sure if they let you use the coupons anymore on Chicago equipment.

Boolit Master

I wish I had a coupon (Ron White - "a coupin!") but it was payday, so what the heck
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Grand Master

O.M.G!! You actually was able to wet tumble some brass without a special, hi-tech wet tumbler and just use water, soap and citric acid for less than $$$$?

Nearly 35 years ago I got one of the HF tumblers in the pic, and used it quite a bit until I "improved" it. Got another one that has been trouble for many years. When I experimented with wet tumbling this is what I used. For my normal dry tumbling (corn cob blast media 14-20) I have made some larger drums that will hold several hundred 9mm cases and a few boxes of 45 ACP (I haven't counted them). I have made drums from 6" PVC, 5 lb. protein powder jars, and various plastic, screw on lid jars. Haven't needed to repair my HF dual drum rotary in the hundreds (thousands?) of hours of operation...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

That's good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    O.M.G!! You actually was able to wet tumble some brass without a special, hi-tech wet tumbler and just use water, soap and citric acid for less than $$$$?
    I know, right?

I just did an experiment and ran some .45acp brass (about 70 cases fit in each drum) for 30 minutes instead of an hour - brass isn't as shiny-clean as running an hour but totally useable:

Last edited by AndyC; 03-03-2021 at 06:21 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master
    I quit using pins for most of my cleaning. Makes things much easier

Boolit Master
    Years ago a commercial caster and reloader explained that my factory new brass was sticking badly in my expander dies because it was so squeaky clean inside the case mouth. The soot in a fired case acts as a lubricant making expanding and case mouth flaring much easier and smoother.

At least in my pistol brass and my dies, I find that pin cleaned brass acts the same as new, so I skip the pins. Easier going through the press, and the "dirty" case and primer pocket interiors don't seem to matter in my loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve been using the same tumbler with hot water, Lemishine, and little football shaped SS beads. I typically do one drum at a time to be easier on the motor and belt. I also have SS chips that I plan on trying soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast