Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet tumbler on the cheap

Boolit Buddy
    TyGuy let us know how the chips work. Are they from Southern Shine Media?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    I'm glad you had good results but $60 for china junk is cheap?
    This China junk (for me anyway) has cleaned over 20K brass over last 4 years! Just have to be careful not to overload.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    TyGuy let us know how the chips work. Are they from Southern Shine Media?

Yes they are but I ordered indirectly through T&B Bullets. They showed up yesterday. I’m planning to run a batch or two this weekend. I’ll post some results.

I’m particularly interested to see how they do with spent .22lr for swaging. The elliptical burnishing beads I’m currently using work fairly well but primer pockets and inner corners are always still grubby. They also tend to get stuck sideways in the bottoms of 9mm/38spl/357mag and .223s. I’m also curious if they’ll tear up the inside to the tumbler’s drums.

Just another item to add to my Harbour freight list

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    Sorry but I love my shiny brass. Have been wet tumbling with SS pins for about two years. Squirt of Dawn, half tablespoon of Lemishine and two capfulls of Armorall wash and wax. With as hot as I can water out of the tap. Then I keep them in Folgers plastic coffee cans (their plastic now) sorta air proof.

Those are beautiful!
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Master
    I have a F.A.R.T & HF double tumbler. I use the fart on brass, the HF for PC tumbling, jewelry cleaning & rock tumbling. I have found tumbling works on many things like rusted or dirty tools, cleaning copper & brass plumbing fittings. I wanted a larger capacity tumbler with a bigger opening and easily replaceable drum. I built one based on a few video's like this using a wiper motor. https://youtu.be/_0A4bBK8siA I had just about everything I needed. I sourced the wiper motor from a mechanic friend for free, the threads were metric so I had to buy a metric extension nut, bolt & nut. I had the scrap steel for the frame, the wheels for rollers, the 3 position switch & I used a battery charger for power until I found an 18V laptop power cord. I first used a 5gal bucket but found it too big. I then got a 2.5gal chlorine bucket my buddy had from his pool chemicals. I build it in about an hour. The fins/agitator was ripped down scrap Trex decking my neighbor had, a little silicone on the edge & a few screws through the outside into the Trex paddles on the inside. I built this tumbler for under $15. It was so easy to build I just gave it to a friend next door who just got into reloading. I'll add pics of it as a 2.5gal later. I will build another one as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tumbler front resized.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	279089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tumbler rear resized.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	279091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tumbler complete resized.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	279090
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 03-06-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post
    Those are beautiful!
    Thanks, Like I said. I like shiny!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I wish I had a coupon (Ron White - "a coupin!") but it was payday, so what the heck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I have a F.A.R.T & HF double tumbler. I use the fart on brass, the HF for PC tumbling, jewelry cleaning & rock tumbling. I have found tumbling works on many things like rusted or dirty tools, cleaning copper & brass plumbing fittings. I wanted a larger capacity tumbler with a bigger opening and easily replaceable drum. I built one based on a few video's like this using a wiper motor. https://youtu.be/_0A4bBK8siA I had just about everything I needed. I sourced the wiper motor from a mechanic friend for free, the threads were metric so I had to buy a metric extension nut, bolt & nut. I had the scrap steel for the frame, the wheels for rollers, the 3 position switch & I used a battery charger for power until I found an 18V laptop power cord. I first used a 5gal bucket but found it too big. I then got a 2.5gal chlorine bucket my buddy had from his pool chemicals. I build it in about an hour. The fins/agitator was ripped down scrap Trex decking my neighbor had, a little silicone on the edge & a few screws through the outside into the Trex paddles on the inside. I built this tumbler for under $15. It was so easy to build I just gave it to a friend next door who just got into reloading. I'll add pics of it as a 2.5gal later. I will build another one as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tumbler front resized.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	279089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tumbler rear resized.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	279091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tumbler complete resized.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	279090
    You get first prize in the "ingenuity dept."! That is so cool!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Check the unit but I think there was one of the rock tumbler units that was known for having a poor belt so you wanted to have a replacement on hand. Also the replacement was better quality.
    I started SS pin tumbling with a HF Dual Drum like one in picture. I must have got one with bad belt syndrome. Was mindful about not overloading the the drums. I checked pulley alignment a 1/2 dozen times. After going through the spares that came with unit I bought some replacement HF belts. No better life and pretty pricey IMO. tried finding an O ring that would fit but couldn’t. I had a pack of vacuum cleaner drive belts, sliced them down to 1/8” wide, they lasted longer. I briefly considered rebuilding it with real bearings. Still have the unit but switched to using a FA.

Boolit Man
    If you want the made-in-USA version, here it is: https://lortone.com/collections/tumb...model-33b?info

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve been wondering how one of those tumblers would work for making Black Powder. Would they be big enough to be practical?

I use the chips in my RCBS sidewinder. Only draw back is they are finer and some tend to escape containment and play havoc with the garbage disposal. I need to get a media separator. Lol

They really clean the primer pockets but I only use them every third time or when I'm cleaning scrounged up range pickups. I like new looking brass too so I clean mine like I clean my guns.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12