Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's the thermostat on my Lyman 61 melter

Here's the thermostat on my Lyman 61 melter

I'm sure this s a replacement part because it looks nothng like the pics I've seen of other Lyman 61 thermostats.

Sorry for the out-of fouc shot of the text on the side, it reads:

American Thermostat Corp. South Cairo NY
    Model B-200 1600W 115-236V AC only

Seems like a pretty beefy unit for this little melter. I don't think that many come with 1600W thermostats.

Banned

Where did you get it? When I called Lyman for a new one and gave her the model number, she laughed! Said they had none to fit, it was too old. Seems to me it is a 61, I have to look.

that's funny, I called Lyman asking about replacing the insulative strip behind the thermostat, before I realized it was a replaced part. She explained it was a 1961 unit, no parts available.

The part was already installed when I got the melter.

You can get them here: http://orders.ppe.com/odr/rbpperetail.htm?p-part=B-200

I just spoke with the manager, he said it's in stock at $21

Boolit Master
    When I looked at the thermostat I thought it looked familiar. So out to the reloading room I go. Sure enough I have one just like it except that mine has screws where the rivits are in the picuture above (just to the right of the adjustment stem).
    Mine were used as replacements on old SAECO pots that I haven't had in over 20 years. I don't have a clue as to where mine came from.
    Yes they are overrated for the lyman or saeco pots considering that they have heating elements rated at maybe 600 to 800 watts....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Those are screw holes in mine too, not rivets. I just had it apart, I had to tap new holes into the melter because taking the thing apart I broke off the old mounting screws.

BTW this part can get alloy in this old melter up over 900°

Banned

Great, I will get one.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the link , looks like it would work on the old pot I have , just need to fimd an element that will work in it now . It's an old Hilts pot with about an ID of 4 1/2 to 5" dia at the base on the inside of the pot .

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Master

Icer,

here is a good write up on replacement of the element in a Saeco which should be similar to your pot.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/abittner/
    Last edited by scrapcan; 02-10-2011 at 03:16 PM.

You guys are awesome!

Boolit Master
    44man PM me with your snailmail addy and I will send you mine for nothing. I don't know if it still works but you are welcome to it to try out and use if it works....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerUSA View Post
    Thanks for the link , looks like it would work on the old pot I have , just need to fimd an element that will work in it now . It's an old Hilts pot with about an ID of 4 1/2 to 5" dia at the base on the inside of the pot .

Keith
    You might want to contact these folks about a replacement element:

L-H Branding Irons

800-437-8068

www.lhbrandingirons.com
    Ask for Mark.

They can custom shape the heating element, if you send them the old element. The elements have spade terminals. An element 42" long is rated at 1800 watts.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Perma - Banned

Okay guys, found this older thread. The PDF says this thermostat is good to 550F. Tippet says it'll go much higher. Can anyone else verify? If so, I'm getting 2 ASAP!

These days I'm using a lee pro 420. I had trouble with the thermistat and gave up. I gave the old melter to bulltipper and he fixed it- lead somehow deposited itself within the thermostat, shorting it out, keeping it from going above a low melt temp. He is still using it today. PM the man and he should be able to verify how hot that thing will crank for him.

Perma - Banned

I think I'll be ordering 2 soon. Thanks!

WAIT! Aren't you going to verify it first?

Perma - Banned

Your word is good enough for me, I just hadn't noticed you posting in some time, was wondering if anyone had one that they'd tried. Sorry if I offended you, it was unintentional. Instead of "verify" I should have asked if anyone had experienced any problems.

Okay?

No you didn't offend me. I thought it was funny, actually it reminds me of myself when I first started hunting around for a way to fix the thing. I encourage you to send bulltipper a pm. He's all over that melter like a cheap suit.

The guy I got the melter from bought it new in the early '60's. Once the original thermostat gave up the ghost, he replaced it with that unit specifically so it would heat up beyond the original spec.

Keep in mind though, you don't need the lead to get that hot. I get my best results by using the lowest temp possible that still pours well.

Perma - Banned

Good. I was just concerned about the 550 limit the company describes. As long as they get to 700 or so I'm good. What I'm doing is piggy backing 2 SAECOs, on above the other, Even gonna run a dedicated line for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast