RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Now shootin Rifles!

Now shootin Rifles!

Sorry folks, haven't been here participating much of late. Been sidetracked with this newly acquired aspect to the sport. Rifles!

I am not a hunter because of a disability in my legs so that prevents me from getting out. Besides there is not a lot of wild game I care to eat. Pheasant around here are all but gone again.

Anyways last spring I started working as a RO at a nearby outdoor range and have been really enjoying it. Since I have been there I have worked mainly at the 200/300yd range as it is the smallest range station there and it doesn't involve as much walking. So while there I have gotten to know a good number of the regulars and have learned a real appreciation for what they are doing.

So the enablers have corrupted me and I purchased a Savage Axis 223 last fall. It came with a 3-9X40 KonusPro scope and I shot with it for a couple months and started working up ladder loads for it. I then at the beginning of winter purchased a Burris Fullfield II E1 4.5-14X42 scope and mounted it on it. Huge difference.

Well the bug bite again last Tuesday after I found a Savage Model 10 223 on Armslist. It was only 45 minutes away. It is also now in my gun room! There was no scope on it so it now wears that KonusPro until I either swap them out or find something better. This gun is hands down a better rifle than the Axis. It does have a Walnut stock and the Accutrigger. Also has the blind mag. Right now it is shooting MOA @ 200yds from a rest and rear bag with loads that were developed for the Axis.

So this is were all my time has been evolved to and actually haven't shot a pistol since Nov. when the wife, myself and a co-worker of hers went to the indoor range.

For now I am really excited about this rifle and shooting it. Though now I am uncertain if I should start over with the load ladder for this gun. The load I am shooting right now is a 62gr Hornady FMJBT over 23.8gr Ramshot TAC loaded to 2.250". OH BTW I have not shot this rifle out to 300 yds yet. Need more confidence at 200 first.

Boolit Master
    A good scope will likely cut your groups in half. Never had any dealings with Ramshot but have used Varget with great luck. With my Savage hoghunter it will shoot a cloverleaf at 100 yds with 55 sp or 68g BTHPs. It is hard to beat a Savage, all the way around.

Boolit Master
    I, too, have an Axis in 223. Using 25 hrs of 748, with 55 gr hornady spire points. Not sure how tight my groups are but at 60 yds, I have no problems hitting woodchucks.

Boolit Master
    Just think how excited you will be when you shoot your first Tikka.

With my Axis and that load if I did my part well, I was shooting cloverleaves @100yd or at least consistently to within 1".. So far with the Model 10 at 200yds. I am hitting with 2.5".. Not great, but for me I think it's pretty good.

From searching Savage I came up with a serial number page and it looks as if this rifle was produced sometime in 2004. I only paid $330.00 for it and it is in VGC. I have a few pictures but they are too large to post here so if I can get my beautiful wife to resize them tonight I will post them.

Boolit Master
    I love my Axis in .223. It was a Walmart special with a heavy barrel. After 3500 rounds it is still capable of less than 1/2MOA at 300yd.

The best bullets I have found for it are the Sierra 77gn Match Kings loaded with Varget to 2800fps. Yes, the box says they require a 1:8 twist but they do VERY well in my 1:9 twist barrel. I was curious so I did some shooting at 1000yds with it and had a 15" group. 600yds and I can almost always hit a 5" steel plate.

Decent alternatives are the 69gn SMK and Hornady 75gn ELD.

Yes, the Model 110 series is a better rifle. My .308 is a 12BVSS. The only problem is it really likes Berger bullets. $$$

Boolit Grand Master
    Rifle shooting can get addictive....chasing those tiny groups.

You will have a blast with your .223’s. Those rifles can shoot. I bet you will have a .308 not to far into the future. The powders that give great accuracy in .223 do so in the .308 as well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I had a savage 220 swift heavy bbl single Shot bolt I think model
    112.the best rifle I ever had . At 300 yards I could shoot c batteries laying flat on fence posts small end towards me.it was fun watching them explode into dust.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Rifle shooting can get addictive....chasing those tiny groups.

You will have a blast with your .223’s. Those rifles can shoot. I bet you will have a .308 not to far into the future..
    Don't know about a 308 but I did just read that Savage is offering a 6mm. ARC in the Axis and 110 for 2021! Very similar to the 6.5 Grendel.

Boolit Master
    I bought the .308 for long range and for cast. After seeing how much better I shoot the .223 I am thinking a 6BR is in my future.