WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabots in a 1/32 twist?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Sabots in a 1/32 twist?

I just picked up my 1st percussion muzzle loader. Been shooting in lines since 90’. I use to using saboted ammo and like the accuracy. I ordered a bag of 50 TC sabots set up for 44 cal slugs. I figured I have enough 16/1 pewter and pure Lyman devastator HP’s casted up at 7.8bh that I can experiment with. I read a few places that sabots will have decent accuracy in a 1/32 twist? Anyone shoot saboted ammo with good accuracy in a 1 in 32? I had Lasik surgery a couple years ago so now I can see a country mile but gun sites are a little fuzzy for me. The sights on my muzzle loader seem fine in bright light. I will have to get some trigger time to get use to it. Maybe I’ll have to find a peep sight to attach to its octagon barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Your front sight should look a little fuzzy. You can't focus on to different distances at the same time. I see not reason a 32 twist should not shoot sabot well in the right combination and fit. I have heard of 1-48 twist shooting sabot well with the right combo. I haven't heard it much but if someone can make that work surely a 1-32 can be made to work. Really a 1-32 isn't that much slower than 1-28.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Sure, I've tried plastic sabots in a 1:35" twist. They shot fine. The rifle was never spectacularly accurate, but that was no fault of the twist rate. The gun had been rode hard, and put away wet. Despite mild pitting, that rifle actually shot the 370 grain Maxiball the best of all. I would definitely recommend you try a maxiball, and molds are easy enough to find.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Sure, I've tried plastic sabots in a 1:35" twist. They shot fine. The rifle was never spectacularly accurate, but that was no fault of the twist rate. The gun had been rode hard, and put away wet. Despite mild pitting, that rifle actually shot the 370 grain Maxiball the best of all. I would definitely recommend you try a maxiball, and molds are easy enough to find.
    I remembered you used your muzzle loader on a black bear last year. What boolit and alloy did you use? How was blood trail?

Boolit Grand Master

I used my 54 caliber TC Renegade. The exact load was 90gr 1Fg Goex (red can), two 1/8" felt wads, duck canvas (Carhartt pants) patch lubed with real mink oil from TOTW, and a .520" round ball cast from a Lee mold. Alloy was stick on wheel weight, which is nearly pure lead, weight sorted to 213 grains.

The shot was about 35 yards broadside, center of center shot, which centered both lungs, and took the top of his heart off. Ball exited far side. There was a large dirt pile on the far side, but unfortunately I was unable to find the ball. The area was mostly bog, with lots of moss, so nearly impossible to see a hole. I'm unsure of the blood trail, but there was plenty of blood in the fur, and on the ground where I found it. It let out a death moan, so there was no searching. I went to the spot of the shot (bait pile), looked where it went, and it was dead 30-40 yards away.

That rifle shoots very good with a maxiball too. The rifle I mentioned earlier was a 50 caliber H&R huntsman with a 1:35 twist. Recoil with a 435 grain 54 caliber maxiball is a bit much in the renegade, the 50 caliber 370 grain isn't as bad. I really like the killing performance of round ball on game, I have yet to be disappointed. A maxiball should do a good job too, there is hardly any arguing with a 50 caliber 370 grain bullet.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-02-2021 at 03:31 PM.

I have a bunch of deer tallow I rendered last year in my fridge. Wonder how that stuff would work vs mink lube?

Boolit Master
    Lyman put the 1:32 twist on their Great Plains Hunter specifically for sabots (according to their sales pitch). I fired some out of mine but I have never liked how sabots load and shoot.

Mine is a slug gun. 385gn Great Plains bullets or .500 S&W cast bullets. I paper patch both and finish sized to .302 for a slip fit in the muzzle. FWIW, the platinum PowerBelts work nicely as well.

I picked up an unused vintage CVA starter kit along with the gun. It has round balls included in it. I’ll have to measure them to make sure they are 50 cal. If so I figured I’d try round balls, my old faithful 300 grain TC Shok wave (which look to be discontinued as they aren’t on TC’s website anymore), and TC sabots with 44 cal Lyman devastator HP boolits I casted up. I’ll probably try some 45 cal cast boolits in the 44 cal sabots and see how they load and fly as well.

Darn it, I just looked it is a 45 cal percussion kit. So the balls will be to small bit everything else in the kit will obviously work. I think I have everything already but it’s good to have spares. I will have to grab some 50 cal round balls from the LGS. I believe they had hornady in stock when I was there today.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-03-2021 at 01:25 AM.

I shoot Lyman Great Plains Hunter's in both .50 & .54, very happy shooting sabots in both.
    I feel they shoot better than the CVA Power Belts.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    CVA Power belts have a poor reputation of blowing up on meat ,targets fine . The lyman Great Plains are a great choice in 45/50 and scarce but around 54 cal , yup got one/Ed

Boolit Grand Master

I've never tried deer tallow, but it seems it is kind of dry and waxy for the job. My favorite store bought lube is Crisco. I didn't mix it with anything, it is very stable over a wide range of temperatures. I shot at least one deer using Crisco for lube.

Boolit Grand Master

Regular Crisco or the butter flavored?
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt it matters. Other than flavor, they are both hydrogenated vegetable shortening with zero sodium. I bought what was ever on the shelf.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd use the butter flavor for hunting. Help baste the meat.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    The (ONLY) thing that matters is you want the salt FREE Crisco /Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    The (ONLY) thing that matters is you want the salt FREE Crisco /Ed
    According to their website, all Crisco shortening is salt free. I can't speak of other brands of shortening.

Boolit Grand Master

I use to use Crisco when I first got started many years ago. I don't understand why the big deal of salt in lard. The powder itself is corrosive and basically has salt in it and all has to be cleaned when you are done anyway.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    I use to use Crisco when I first got started many years ago. I don't understand why the big deal of salt in lard. The powder itself is corrosive and basically has salt in it and all has to be cleaned when you are done anyway.
    I cook a lot of bacon for myself and the family. I may try that as a winter lube. I went out when it was real cold and my Bore Butter was rock solid in the tube after a few minutes.

Boolit Master
    Nope it clearly states salt free on the label ,otherwise it"s not /Ed

I have been trying to find a lee 90488 320 grain conical and round ball combo. eBay wants three times more than what they sell for. I’ll have to wait till Lee starts making them again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast