Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: 45 ACP Revolver Shotshell Load Question

Boolit Buddy

45 ACP Revolver Shotshell Load Question

Hello,

I’ve searched and searched and can’t find a post I thought existed. Someone posted their process for making 45 ACP revolver shotshell loads cut to length of cylinder. They may not have necked down - I can’t recall. I don’t see it referenced in Grumpa’s epic thread, nor can I find it. If anyone knows the thread I’d appreciate a steer. Thanks.

That is one I too, would like to know about. I have a couple of S&W revolvers (1937 Brazilian and a 625 Mountain Gun) that it sure would be nice to have a load for. At one time, I had a full moon clip of the CCI aluminum shot shells filling the cylinder of my 625 Mountain Gun. I only needed one shot to dispatch a snake and then opened the cylinder to get the empty out and replace it. Boy oh' boy was that fun. Good thing I didn't fire all 6 rounds. It took a good deal of poking from the front of the cylinder to get the empty to turn loose. Not sure what that was about. But I'll not use them again in it.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy

Hi Murphy - The concept was a .308 cut to cylinder, no .410 wad to allow more volume for shot. Powder, card, shot, and something to crimp. Different from the loads for the autos. Pretty spectacular. Read it months ago but can’t find it now.

Boolit Buddy

Did some several years ago to shoot pigeons in hay barns, also used them when bush hogging pastures for venomous snakes and such varmints. I think used the 410 wads and weighed the shot to work up my loads. Worked ok shot a few crows while mowing on the tractor, didn't take long before the crows knew to stay away from the orange tractor. Shot them in a S & W Brazilian. If memory serves me correctly they were pretty hot loads. Last year did some 223 cut down to use in my Charter arms 9mm. These were cut .100,.200,.300,and.400 longer than original length of 1.100,the length to use in autos, the .200 longer ones loaded with #11 shot patterned really well out to about 15 ft out of the short barreled Charter arms 9mm, using Bullseye powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never made any cylinder length for a .45 ACP, but have for a .45 Colt. You will have to neck them somewhat to get them to chamber. I used cut down brass length .410 plastic wads to help prevent serious leading from shot scrubbing by the rifling.

Regardless of weather you use a wad or not, these are not a long range proposition.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I never made any cylinder length for a .45 ACP, but have for a .45 Colt. You will have to neck them somewhat to get them to chamber. I used cut down brass length .410 plastic wads to help prevent serious leading from shot scrubbing by the rifling.

Regardless of weather you use a wad or not, these are not a long range proposition.

Robert
    Thanks, Robert. Good wisdom here. And I hadn’t thought about the leading. Good point. Thanks.

I found what helps for not have the leading shooting shot in a revolver, is like you do for cast is use JPW coat the barrel. I found that it works. For all the shooting I do in my with shot shells.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Jmorris had a nice system, starting with cut down .308 he rolled the mouth over a shot card. came across a few handfuls of 45lc crimped shells may have been blanks but they seemed to far opened for blanks.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I found what helps for not have the leading shooting shot in a revolver, is like you do for cast is use JPW coat the barrel. I found that it works. For all the shooting I do in my with shot shells.
    Hi Trapper I googled it but couldn’t figure it out - what’s JPW?

Boolit Master
    Johnson paste wax JPW

Boolit Master
    Contact C.E. Harris on the CBA website. He worked with .45 ACP shotshells at one time. I think he may have written an article about such.

Boolit Master

I played around with cylinder length shot shells back in the 90's for my S&W 625. All I did was form the cases and not cut them down as much. It gave a bit more payload but not a ton more. I loaded them basically the same as the shorter ones but I had to mess with the powder charge. I think I used Unique for powder since it was a bit slower for the heavier payload. I found a few pics of the longer cases.

You can see that I basically cut off .308 cases off at the shoulder after forming the step.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revolver cases.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	279099

That same moonclip in the cylinder of my 625

Name:	625 cyl with cases small.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	279100

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    I played around with cylinder length shot shells back in the 90's for my S&W 625. All I did was form the cases and not cut them down as much. It gave a bit more payload but not a ton more. I loaded them basically the same as the shorter ones but I had to mess with the powder charge. I think I used Unique for powder since it was a bit slower for the heavier payload. I found a few pics of the longer cases.

You can see that I basically cut off .308 cases off at the shoulder after forming the step.

Name:	revolver cases.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	279099

That same moonclip in the cylinder of my 625

Name:	625 cyl with cases small.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	279100
    Nice!!! Thank you!

This is from when I did it, a link to the die I machined is in #4.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=45+shot

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    This is from when I did it, a link to the die I machined is in #4.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=45+shot
    Thank you JMorris! Now why I couldn’t find that thread with the search function I’ll never know. Much appreciated!

Boolit Master

Grumpa made me some cases from some .308 blanks and sized the front half in .44Mag die. mine held about 172gr of #9 shot on 7gr Unique. I don't think I loaded mine to a high enough pressure as they lock my cylinder. I think it is a primer issue as there is not enough set back to leave headspace. I used over powder wad and a card over the shot crimped in a 44 die. What I mean is I don't think there is enough breech thrust to flatten my primers. If anyone has any input on my locked up cylinder I would like your input.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    Grumpa made me some cases from some .308 blanks and sized the front half in .44Mag die. mine held about 172gr of #9 shot on 7gr Unique. I don't think I loaded mine to a high enough pressure as they lock my cylinder. I think it is a primer issue as there is not enough set back to leave headspace. I used over powder wad and a card over the shot crimped in a 44 die. What I mean is I don't think there is enough breech thrust to flatten my primers. If anyone has any input on my locked up cylinder I would like your input.......
    Very interesting Gary. I plan to try both the .44 MAG and .41. See what works. Still working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    I would try opening up the flash hole to 1/8" diameter.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I once used some .44mag shot shells to shoot Martin, that were coming into my cabin when I was asleep. They were the type with aluminum shells and a plastic dome that held the shot. I never had any problems with leading. Could the plastic have acted like a sabot and protected it from leading?