it gets used a lot here in NZ in recent years wit hhigher animal numbers..and Philistenes who dont eat heart or eye fillet steak!!!!!!
the simplist way to do it is to remove back steaks first,then take of the 4 quarters to hang in tree to bone them out..this way you get 90% of the usable meat 99% of the steak meat and dont carry home skin or bone.....the other ADVANTAGE to doing this,as I found out after doing it the old way for last time...is that if your shot drifted a wee bit back or was as funky angle and you have ruptured the gutbag...you get that 99% of meat off carcase CLEAN and then can gut the now legless/backsteakless carcase to get at the fillet steaks and/or offal.....much small bag of meat needing cleaning ASAP.
the last 2 deer we shot is only the 2nd time I havent removed the eye fillets..my pack was heavy enough and the 50 gozillion blowflies that had turned up to feast were driving me nuts keeping them off the good clean meat harvested so I opted to pack up and boogie on homewards.Mate shot hind 2 weeks after that and I took one eye fillet even though it was a little contaminated and let my faithful dog have the other.