Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 1895 DWM Chilean Mauser

1895 DWM Chilean Mauser

I just picked up on Gunbroker an all matching 1895 Chilean Mauser in 7mm made by DWM in 1902. It's in nice shape and all matching. Bore is decent. Not a sewer Pipe but not pristine. I got to say with Jacketed ammo its been disappointing. Used some PPU 139 grain ammo and did some reloads using 175 grain heads and its all over target. I just also ordered an NOE 288-173 diameter mold. You guys think this will shoot better with a larger cast Boolit? I hear these bores on these are pretty big compared to commercial 7mm rifles. So far after numerous buys this is the first GB purchase that's been disappointing.

Boolit Grand Master

Standard groove diameter for the European military cartridges ran larger than most all commercial bullets made for those calibers. The U.S. went with the british standard groove size for the 7mm which was .284. The German DWMs had .288 groove diameters. Given the obvious wear of the bore on your rifle not only is the groove diameter probably now larger but also the bore diameter. Probably not enough lands to grip the .284 bullets. In my Chilean M95 (excellent bore) I've found the FB'd Hornady 154s and 175s to shoot very well. BT'd bullets and those with shorter bearing surfaces not so good.

I use .288 H&I die to GC, size and lube my cast bullets which drop at .287 - .289. The groove diameter on my M95 is .288 so those cast shoot very well. The NOE is generally cut for COWWs. if you add 2% tin to COWWs if you use that alloy or use #2 alloy you should get a bullet at least of .289 - .290 diameter. I'd just seat a GC and crimp [can be done on a 450 or RCBS lubrasizer] without sizing the bullets. Then I'd TL in LLA as per Lee's directions and let dry thoroughly before loading. That should be a very good "fit" to your rifle and should shoot well enough.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thanks Larry for the info. My usual routine for cast is to powder coat and gas check so maybe I'll update after I do a run. The 175 grain heads I was using were PPU FMJBT. Thankfully I also got an unissued 1895 on the way. Can't wait to try that out too!

Boolit Master
    Many of the old military rifles were not cleaned all that well. Every one of them that I have cleaned has had an amazing amount of crud come out of the barrel. I've spent as long as three days soaking and scrubbing them. Getting them really clean may not improve the way they shoot but it sure can't hurt.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    Thanks Larry for the info. My usual routine for cast is to powder coat and gas check so maybe I'll update after I do a run. The 175 grain heads I was using were PPU FMJBT. Thankfully I also got an unissued 1895 on the way. Can't wait to try that out too!
    That ammunition did not shoot well in my rifle either.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

I have a Brazilian short rifle and it doesn't do well with off the shelf bullets. Buffalo Arms sells over sized bullets that shoot great.

Tom

Boolit Master
    The chamber necks are quite loose as well. I use 8x57 brass necked to 7mm which gives a little tighter fit in the neck and I size to .288. Still isn't a target rifle but at least it stays on the target.

Thankfully I have the NOE sizing die and ordered collets in .288, .289 and .290. I should be able to make a nice boolit for that. Been too cold for me to cast outside at the moment. If we have a stretch of nice weather I'll do a run and give an update. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That ammunition did not shoot well in my rifle either.
    I find that PPU loaded ammo for rifles shoots wild lately. I love their components but a lot of the old obsolete calibers they make shoot crazy all over the place on paper. Their old ammo they sold here back in late 80's and early 90's was real good.

Larry what do think about this mold for a worn 1895?

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...3-4-cavity-gc/