Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thompson Contender

Boolit Buddy

Thompson Contender

Hello,

I have a TC pistol, with a 14 inch 223 barrel, that I dont shoot much anymore. I was thinking about turning it into a lead shooter, in a caliber that I already shoot. Thinking about .35 Remington, or 30-30 Winchester, as I already load these and cast for them. Not really interested in 44, 357, as I already cast for them, in pistols, and cant see as far as they will shoot anyway.
    Im thinking about a long range, scoped hand gun for bench work... Well not that long range, maybe 200 yards tops, with 100 yard being more likely.
    How many of you have already went down this rabbit hole, and how did it work out? I have several options as far as molds go in 30 caliber, but only one for the 35, that is roughly a 210 grain round nose mold that I already use in my rifle.
    Thank you for any advise!
    LC

Boolit Buddy
    Caution: Collecting Contender barrels can be hazardous to your wallet!
    Either of the two calibers you listed work great in the Contender, especially using the 14" barrels. If you plan on limiting your selection to 10" barrels, I would recommend using a 30 Herrett or 357 Max instead. Any of these rounds work great in the Contender platform (in my opinion!).

Moderator Emeritus

I enjoy the 30-30 in a 14" though the 223 can do well with cast also. I scope almost all of my contender bbls.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

One of my favorite calibers for cast in a T/C is the 30 Herrett.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    Caution: Collecting Contender barrels can be hazardous to your wallet!
    Either of the two calibers you listed work great in the Contender, especially using the 14" barrels. If you plan on limiting your selection to 10" barrels, I would recommend using a 30 Herrett or 357 Max instead. Any of these rounds work great in the Contender platform (in my opinion!).
    Absolutely... I concur.
    I been having at least one Contender since 1979. Cast in All of them...only the 357 Herrett, was a problem with cast.
    Besides the 357Mag, or .44, the stand out with cast boolits has been the .222... just edging out the 7TCU... Tho I would not give up Either... no.... Any,
    And the .44 would go before the 357Mag!!
    Seriously ... give the 223 a chance... tho I know nothing of them... or... my vote??? 7TCU, Any Day...
    BTW All Mine are 10" Barrels or less...
    Edit; BTW Only my 22RF and the 7TCU are Un-Scoped Contenders..

Boolit Master
    I understand not wanting to start another caliber.

30-30 is not bad in a 14", but the muzzle blast with full power loads is a bit much for "paper punching / metal ringing" only type shooting. Full power 35 rem is probably even more of a "too much" caliber for your stated use. Mid range loads might be better suited, but I never went down that path.

I shoot my contenders quite a bit, but not for paper punching with stout loads from a 14". Mostly they get use with 10" barrels and mild loads in my mix of guns I used for standing practice or for the occasional IHMSA shoot.

I have 14" barrels in 30-30 and 357 Max (both made by TC) that are not getting any use right now. I worked up some cast bullet loads for them, shot them a little and them moved on to other things.

When I shoot IHMSA my 30 Herrett barrel will get used if I want to shoot a 14" gun.
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-01-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I am going to subscribe to this thread as I am new to Contenders and am curious what you decide. Please post your path and experience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I understand not wanting to start another caliber.
    But...Why Not???

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    When I shoot IHMSA my 30 Herrett barrel will get used if I want to shoot a 14" gun.
    Or... The Ballistic Sister, the 7TCU... But I do Not prefer 14" barrels... all gone now... Only 10"
    I guess if I had more cast 30 cal slugs... I would go 30 Herrett....Maybe.
    Having a pot full of 7mm cast ... I Love the 7TCU as well as the most shot Rifle I have... 7X57

Edit; to say.. If I had a 30-30 Contender barrel. I could certainly be happy!!!
    Never a 14" personally...but that is all Personal Preference..
    I am Currently lengthening the neck on a 300 Savage, to 30-30 length...exclusively for cast projectiles!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Bloodhound689: you might find Mike Bellm TC site of interest. Lots of things to read about.

I hope the nice people on here have so information on shooting CB in their 30-30 and .223 14" TC. Every time I open the safe I hear a couple of voices: "Maybe today he'll mount a scope and take us to the range."

Banned
    I shot a 10” 30-30 Contender . . . ONCE! Not my kind of fun. It felt like my elbow was going to exit stage left. Good luck with your research.

Boolit Master
    FYI, for a 14" 30-30 you might want to look at https://www.go2gbo.com/threads/fs-t-...ost-2056079357

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Bloodhound689: you might find Mike Bellm TC site of interest. Lots of things to read about.

I hope the nice people on here have so information on shooting CB in their 30-30 and .223 14" TC. Every time I open the safe I hear a couple of voices: "Maybe today he'll mount a scope and take us to the range."

I’ve been on there many of times. Lots of good information.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Or... The Ballistic Sister, the 7TCU...
    My 10" 7 Tcu is my most recent purchase. My 10" 30 Herrett is now my "backup" choice for production / standing IHMSA.

Decades ago when the 7 Tcu was more popular, I was heavy into 30 cal (including a 10" 30 Herrett bought used in the 1970s) and did not want to mess with 7mm.

After discovering what powder coat did for my Contender calibers, I transitioned into cast for all contender shooting. Still I was heavy into 30 cal.

Then I figured out how to make my own custom NLG molds from Lee blanks. The 7 Tcu became an opportunity to play with making my own 7 mm boolits (photos below).

If the Op was willing to go for a new caliber, a 7 TCU has a lot to offer. It is very flat shooting (with low wind drift) even from a 10". The conversion of range pickup 223 to 7 Tcu is just so much cheaper and easier than making 30 Herrett brass. The smaller case diameter on the 7 Tcu allows for loading as hot as you want based on primer appearance. I do not feel comfortable doing this in a Contender with 30-30 based cartridges. If you can find a real light 7 mm bullet mold (I made a 70 gr, first photo), the 10" with plinkers is just plain fun for standing shooting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7 mm 70 gr.jpg   7 mm boolits.jpg  
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-01-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    As you can tell by my handle,, I enjoy T/C Contenders.
    By the OP thoughts,, I'd say stay with the 30-30 in the 14" bbl. I have plenty of experience with both the 30-30 & 35 Rem in T/C. I;d opt for that 30-30 based upon your comments,, of range & desires.

Boolit Master

racepres

Did you ever get the 357 Herrett loading ironed out.

Boolit, Powder if you would beso kind to share.

Same 222 info would be much appreciated also!

Find Junior1942s loading for the 7mm TCU with AA#9 speed WC820.
    Load a Lee Soup can BOOLIT and it zips out of the 10" barrel with some authority . . . FOR CHEAP too.

Not sure if one can do that load with the AA branded powder.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-01-2021 at 11:25 PM. Reason: additional info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you each and everyone for the comments. Starting to lean hard in the direction of the 30-30, as brass is way more abundant that 35 rems are. I think other calibers that were mentioned would be great, but I dont want to have to buy dies right now. I fact, I just picked up a 7.7 Jap and need dies for it. But new dies, for it, or anything else are not available right now, and may not be for a while. Used would work, but no gun shows going on so far, and ebay prices are nuts.
    So back to the 30--30... I guy that I knew years ago had a 30-30 barrel on a T C that he hunted with, and I guess it was a hand full with full power loads. I'm not wanting to set the woods on fire, but just something different to shoot cast out of. Probably with a 311-291 bullet or the 30-165 Sil mold that I already have, and 10-12 grs of Unique or some thing in that range. Figured it would be flatter shooting to whack steel with at 100 and 200 yards, and punch some holes in paper too, and see what I can get out of it. Anyone have any idea what bullet works in the 30-30 in the Contender? I am guessing the 311/291 that I have would work ok, as it seems to shoot well in about any 30-30 that we have tried it in.
    I bought the Lee mold that is designed to shoot in the SKS a while back. That might work too, if its not too big.

Boolit Master
    I also had a 14" in .30 Herrett. While accurate with jacketed and cast I'd not do it again just because of all the work making cases.

I think a .30-30 would be just right for cast. That long neck is nice to have for some of the bullets you might want to shoot. The 165SIL will probably do very well for you.

But, if you want to shoot heavier bullets then go with the .35 bore.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
    I shot a 10” 30-30 Contender . . . ONCE! Not my kind of fun. It felt like my elbow was going to exit stage left. Good luck with your research.
    Really? A 30-30 Contender is a ***** cat. Recoil similar to a 357 magnum revolver. If you want to bring the Contender pistol to the limit of it's long range big game shooting, the 309 JDJ is great. Recoil is like a mild 44 magnum revolver.

Personally I think you are only handicapping yourself with a contender. An Encore can take any caliber a Contender can, and then so much more. Plus an Encore has a much better designed grip. For either platform, for a 30 caliber paper/steel fun gun, I see no reason to not go with the 30-30. It can get decent velocity with standard loads. With light loads of Unique, Bluedot, 2400 ETC. it is downright pleasant.

Boolit Master
    My 14" 30-30 did better with the Lee 170 than the Lee 150, but again I was going for full power IHMSA loads.

FYI, if it is just the about the dies, SEM on GBO is selling a 7 Tcu 10" with dies & some brass. I just grabbed his 14" to go with my 10". Again, remember the advantage of using 223 brass.

https://www.go2gbo.com/threads/conte...ost-2056078776

A recent post in a different thread here at Cast Boolits found that used 7mm molds should not be hard get.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...m-cast-bullets

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    racepres

Did you ever get the 357 Herrett loading ironed out.

Boolit, Powder if you would beso kind to share.

Same 222 info would be much appreciated also!

Find Junior1942s loading for the 7mm TCU with AA#9 speed WC820.
    Load a Lee Soup can BOOLIT and it zips out of the 10" barrel with some authority . . . FOR CHEAP too.

Not sure if one can do that load with the AA branded powder.
    By My Notes... The 357 Herrett in my possession don't like any of my cast boolits..
    Best was however a 155gr HP SWC, with Gas check, from a Lee mold cast of WW mixed with range scrap..
    With 15.0 gr of Blue Dot.. Chronoed at 1400 FPS, and was basically Clean. Hotter.??.. welp I would need harder boolits so..I quit. Tho a stout charge of 2400 was showing Progress!! Besides, once I "discovered" the 150 gr Pointed Soft Point [Remington] I never looked back.. a sledge Hammer on deer, I have never had a critter shot with it, even Wiggle... just Drop like the rug was yanked out from under them..Quite a Fireball too with my load of AA1680!!! I started at the Max load from AA load guide #1, for a 158 JHP. but YMMV
    Now, The 222 with cast, gas checked, 55gr. Boolits?? 8.0 gr of Unique makes it sing at 1900fps!!! And man!! Does it Shoot!
    That same 8.0 gr of Unique in the 35Remington, under those same Lee Mold 155 HP's as tried in the Herrett, are more fun than a barrel of monkeys~~~
    Be Very Careful and please double check Load Data...as I'm gettin Old!!! But Have ya some Fun!!!
    Oh, and BTW My 7TCU really likes Accurate Powders.. 1680, 2015, and 2460...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast