Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 30 carbine, gas check or powder coat?

Boolit Man

30 carbine, gas check or powder coat?

I have a Marlin 62 that I want to cast for. I also have a couple 30-30s that I would use the bullets in at downloaded charges to get light plinking loads. I do not currently have a mold for anything 30 cal and would most likely not be able to find one anytime soon anyway. If starting fresh on 30 carbine, which way do you run? Gas check only? Powder coat only? Powder coat then gas check? A useful bullet for 30-30 would be nice but I expect to be moving to a different mold for that as the velocity and weight will both be considerably higher. So if your looking for a mold at this time, what would you be looking for, and why.

30 carbine is a marlin 62. Lever action, detachable box magazine.
    30-30s are a 14” contender barrel, and a Marlin 336.
    All will be used as a mixture of range toy and deer gun with the 62 being used by my daughters primarily and range would be limited to essentially crossbow range. Contender barrel will be used on a pistol frame until sometime later on in the year when I submit and get an approved form 1 to SBR the gun. I may go ahead and suppress it at that point.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've shot quite a few plain based .32 cal boolits from 95-120 grains through a .30-30 as plinkers, usually under 1,000 fps.

If I want something over about 1,500 fps, I go with a gas check design, and appropriate lube.

I have not yet jumped on the powder coat bandwagon. I may in the future.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded the 30 carbine with Lee 120 grain with a gas check and unique for the kids they would have to work the action each shot now its the same Lee bullet and gas check with Winchester 296 at about 1825 FPS and that works the action and is a little slower then factory ammo .

Boolit Grand Master

I would suggest 2 moulds; A PB'd 90 - 100 gr bullets for both cartridges loaded over 2.7 gr Bullseye in either cartridge for plinking and small game.

For deer I suggest the GC'd Lee C309-113-F or the Lyman 311316 if you can find one. In the 30 Carbine a load of 13.5 gr H110/296 will get you 1850 + fps. In the 14" Contender 30-30 2400 is your friend with 16 - 18 gr doing the trick.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla