Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I'm retired

Banned

I turn 55 in a couple of weeks and find myself thinking an awful lot about it more and more. When I retired from the Army at 46, the situation was such that I likely could have stopped working and just lived carefully, but that's too young to retire so took on a fairly busy job that pays well and is rewarding for the most part. We've since bought a place out in the sticks which is great, but incurred debt I didn't have when I left the Army. Next year I'll be eligible for a small state pension from this job if I want to do it, gotta do some figuring to see how I could make that happen.

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    Thumbcocker Congrats!
    I'm 56 now, and I remarried and started a family not too long ago, so with an 8 and 11 year old, retiring "early" is not in my financial cards. But, I am planning for 67 to be the time for me.
    I actually just retired from the Air Force Reserve back in January. So, there is a "retirement", but as some folks that don't get the Reserve thing keep asking me "so, what will you do, now that you're retired?" -- My answer -- well, since it was a part time weekend job, I go back to work at my job on Monday.
    I can't complain though, the AF pension will kick in soon, as will the VA benefits. And, I worked at a community College for about 20 years, and I'll have a pension coming from that at 62. Back in Nov 2019, I switched careers, left the college and went in as a govt contractor. Good bump in pay, no pension, but they do have a matching 401K plan. I also had contributed to the TSP with the AF, so that's another part of the fund. So, little by little, building up the funds so that I won't HAVE to work full time after 67 (full SS age for me).
    My wife is younger and she had left banking once we got married to start the family. We're wondering what will be her next career once the kids are a little further along.

So, Thumbcocker, I am glad for you, congrats and also to all the others that have made it.

To the young person that is starting out - there has been some good advice about looking at investments and retirement plans -- I'll also recommend you look into IRAs, even if you have a 401k or pension plan. The more money you put aside as early as you can, the better off you will be when you get to the "magic" age.

And as some mentioned -- working in a gun shop would probably cost me more than the pay I would earn there!
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

You'll love retirement....it's like every day's a Saturday! Nothing to do and all day to do it in....no where to go and all day to get there! What you do now...you do because...YOU WANT to!

Congratulations Thumbcocker, that is outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by MstrEddy View Post
    I actually just retired from the Air Force Reserve back in January. So, there is a "retirement", but as some folks that don't get the Reserve thing keep asking me "so, what will you do, now that you're retired?" -- My answer -- well, since it was a part time weekend job, I go back to work at my job on Monday.
    Same here, retired from the Air National Guard on the 21st of February. Four more years and I retire from my full time job with twenty five years on and then it is on to the next chapter until I hit 60 and the military pension kicks in. So the plan is in twelve more years to be posting on the wonders of retirement...

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    Congratulations Thumbcocker, that is outstanding!

Same here, retired from the Air National Guard on the 21st of February. Four more years and I retire from my full time job with twenty five years on and then it is on to the next chapter until I hit 60 and the military pension kicks in. So the plan is in twelve more years to be posting on the wonders of retirement...
    Targa, congrats! I actually am due to draw now -- effective on 13 Jan, based on the Reduced Retirement Age option. -- Basically activated time reduces the age at which the pension kicks in. Due to some various AD tours/deployments my age was 56 1/4. -- So, now just waiting for DFAS to sort it out and get the checks rolling in.
    And like you, waiting about 11 years for the magic days! I can't wait!
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the retirement thumbcocker, hope you and the mrs enjoy it and stay healthy!
    Well me and my girl just retired too as of 12/31. Second best Christmas present ever. I think I’m working harder now trying to finish moving and finding places to put years of “ stuff” I managed to collect.
    Wife wanted to be near the lake so we moved to Winchester, Tn. from the Nashville area and hope to get out on the water this year or by next year God willing.
    I’m very lucky to retire at almost 63, but finding trouble in this area getting a doctor to take the health insurance I purchased. The Cigna Connect plan I have was very affordable BUT I find out now that none of the dr’s near here want to take it. I may end up having to drive 50-60 miles toward Nashville for a PCP ( primary care physician) . Once I hit 65 and get on Medicare then I have better choices.
    If this is my only trouble then I can deal with it fer 2 1/2 more years.

So to all of you that have posted and the ones that will jump in here after me, I just want to
    Wish ALL of you and long, happy, healthy retirement. Get out and enjoy life while you can like we are.
    We were fortunate to miss a few curve balls these past couple years and that prompted the early retirement fer us.

God Bless, Mike

Boolit Master
    Thumbcocker I enjoy your posts!
    My wife has a Superblackhawk, so she is a thumbcocker too,
    and hits what she puts her 11" sights on...

I walked out of the University of Alaska Fairbanks at 64
    Without me my shop could keep two kids I trained.
    Had I stayed they would be gone, just me alone so
    I didn't let the door hit my butt on the way out.
    We were gray-skinned tired cold and old when we
    moved here to the old folks village in the Sonoran desert.
    She had two new hips installed is frisky again
    swimming outdoors in January, snow peas are a foot tall
    Alaska is no place for old folks; 2000 gallons of oil a year.

Two thumbs up to TOI, if you need hips or knees or hands that's all they do every day, with plenty of geezers to practice on. Doctors have a practice, and TOI can install a new hip in 40 minutes by my watch. Changed out both hips and now both of her legs are within a millimeter of length, that was a challenge in the old days.

My retirement job was to get her healthy enough for this, beat back the type 2 diabetes, get her in the pool and walking the dog. Missing a lot of work lately? I wouldn't say I'm missing it. When the illegal alien was president, I rounded up enough 44 mag stuff to keep us shooting the gong and this forum taught me how. We thank you.

What do I have? ten more years? Lord willing? To spread the Gospel and the Good News.
    Forgive me if I say: Sugar is poisonous. Eat what you want. But not carbs.

Boolit Buddy
    This is my last year. Thinking off for the summer and maybe part time next fall. Its nice to have the health insurance. Looking forward to more time shooting and working in my shop.

Boolit Master

I plan to join you in about three weeks.

Boolit Master

Congrats, Retirement is mostly all good. The not so good is that the spouse no longer recognizes my need for me time. When I was working, it was always 24/7 worrying about stuff beyond my control and being on unpaid on-call duty (such is management in the world of ATC) and she recognized my need to isolate and unwind. Now 10 years in, she just can't grasp the concept.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Congratulations on your retirement!

I retired a little over 4 years ago, now......I’m just tired! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234