Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .38 Special wad cutter sizing and lubing?

.38 Special wad cutter sizing and lubing?

Going to cast up some 150 grain dewc next weekend from a Lachmiller mold. I think they will be .360 as cast, will want to size down to .358 and lube only the bottom groove. Can I run them thru my RCBS Lam 2 without lube to completely size them, then a second time adjusted to lube only the bottom groove? I don't have the revolver yet to see if they would chamber as cast. Thanks in advance for your replies, Tom

Boolit Master
    Is there any particular reason you want to do this in two steps, rather than do it all in one?

Banned
    If you don't have the gun, I would caution against sizing a lubing a large number of bullets.

When the time comes, you can lube and size in one step. In order to keep the mess to a minimum and and general convenience, I typically don't size/lube bullets until I'm ready to load them.

Boolit Master
    I really like tumble lube in addition to full greasing, MUCH less smoke. You could also try a few as cast but with T/L

Boolit Master
    It will be twice faster and easier to do at the same time. My Star lube sizer doesn't like a dry boolit. I aloxed an 8 pound batch of dewcs last week to see if the group size is different. 100=about 2 1/8 pound of 148s. I have two Lyman molds and one drops at .361 and the other at .3585 which is good for alox without sizing.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 03-01-2021 at 12:36 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    No need to size the bullets smaller before loading. Instead use the Redding Profile Crimp die as a final step.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub

I would worry that during the second sizing step the “undersized” portion of the WC would allow the bullet to go out of alignment in the sizer and make the WC asymmetrical along it's axis.

Not mention the loss of bearing surface that normally helps engage the rifling.

I would size once and then hand dip or pan lube up to the grove your looking for.
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

I do have BLL for tumble lubing. I will see how large they are 'as cast'? I will try them in the Lam 2, and see how it goes? If they don't require sizing, I would prefer the tumble lubing. I don't have a Redding Profile Crimp die at this point for .38 Special. hc18flyer

My Saeco DEWCs drop from the mold .360 diameter. I use a 50-50 dilution of Lee Liquid Alox or LSStuff in mineral spirits and give the bullets a light wash all over just enough to turn the bullets a uniform brassy color. I load the bullets as-cast and unsized then use the Redding Profile Crimp die in the last die station on the Dillon.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub

Pan lubrication will let you use a harder wax if the Alox is too tacky after.
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Just a thought..before any sizing, I would try unsized bullet for fit in each chamber throat. Throat fit trumps groove dia. for gas cutting prevention & accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master
    I went through this last year with a Lee 358-148 WC for a Colt Officer's Model Match and a S&W K-14. I went tumble lube with BLL and a Lee .358" push through die. Very much faster and easier than using my LAM.

Especially if you turn the boolit sizing press upside down and run a piece of 3/4" vinyl tubing from the die to the collection coffee can.

Another thing that helped me was getting a Lyman M-die, the RCBS expander that I had wasn't expanding the case deep enough to fully seat a WC. The Redding Profile crimp die is also a very nice addition to my conglomeration of .38 Special loading dies.

Robert

I will see if I can get a Lee .358 sizer. I do have the RCBS Cowboy expander mandrel which is similar to the Lyman M-die. Midway does have the Redding Profile Crimp die in stock, wish they had other stuff on my wish list. Tom

Boolit Master
    Listen to Ed (Outpost75). Bullseye competition shooters for years have known that Remington wadcutters were the best. Size? .360".

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    No need to size the bullets smaller before loading. Instead use the Redding Profile Crimp die as a final step.
    I do have a .357 Magnum Redding PCD, for my Max. I hope it will work on .38 Special? I should have my wc mold this coming weekend. Tom

Boolit Master
    I've used Lee push through sizer dies to seat gas checks and then run them through a Lyman 450 to lube. It works and puts less stress on the Lyman.

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I do have a .357 Magnum Redding PCD, for my Max. I hope it will work on .38 Special? I should have my wc mold this coming weekend. Tom
    It will profile the parallel sides of the case, but probably will not taper or roll crimp .38 Special.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Yesterday I had a chance to cast about 200 of the 150 grain dewc bullets. I sized and lubed some at .359 in my Lam ll. The rest got their first coat of bll. Hope to get some loaded later this week? Thanks for your help, hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    For years I lubesized my wadcutters .358, which worked very well. On Ed's advice, I now just tumble lube, load in unsized cases, and use the Lee FCD as the final step. That system is much easier and faster for me. The guns like the ammo as well as or better than with the lubesized bullets.

I have a unsized group with their 3rd light coating of bll too. I never thought of using unsized cases too? Sunday our weather will be ugly, I will try loading some that way. Thanks for everyone's help, Tom