Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: With No Ammo and No Reloading Supplies Available, Just How Smug Are You?

Boolit Master

I've got more supplies than I think I'll be able to use up in my remaining lifetime.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

I'm pretty much the same Cherokee. I learned well from the last few shortages and after this last one ended and things became available again I made sure to buy what I needed for a very long time. How long will I live? The last chink I needed to plug were bullets and once it warms up I'll get on that. I'll need a few more molds once I make sure I've learned my casting lessons well. Many years ago I decided that I wasn't going to have huge numbers of calibers so as to make bullet supply easy.

Boolit Buddy
    I started Feb/March last year and I am nowhere near where I'd like to be but I can take my family to the range and teach my children without having a nervous breakdown about finding ammo afterwards. Last month we had a joint range day with another family and we took gear and ammo for them as well. Their kids helped put up targets and pick up brass. Everyone learned and had fun. If we don't go crazy we're good for a while.
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It can be a fine line between hoarding and stock piling. The way I see it, if you are a reloader, you need 8 years worth of supply on hand going into an election year. At the very least 5 years. Anything less, and it is your own fault when you run out. If you are an adult who didn't see this shortage coming, then it is your own fault.

I suppose that makes me smug.
    Hoarding is to amass (money or valued objects) and hide or store away.
    "thousands of antiques hoarded by a compulsive collector"

Seems like it is the same as stockpiling accumulate a large stock of (goods or materials).
    "he claimed that the weapons were being stockpiled"

I am a reloader and I do not 'need' 8 years worth of supplies. It is just a hobby. If I run out the world is not going to come to an end. Heck, I can't count the number of times I have been without any reloading supplies at all, just due to changes in my interests.
    Last edited by charlie b; 03-01-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Boolit Master

Smug is having excessive pride in some achievement. Like walking away with a smirk after you have bested someone else. I've never been that way. I am prepared for the next few years, best I can say.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Given my shooting habits these days, I'm comfortable with what I have.

And that's all I got to say about that.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I agree: I'm not smug about stuff. I've been through shortages before, and learned from the experience. I have enough supplies to weather the storm even if it lasts for years. One thing that I have decided from this latest shortage: once things go back to "normal", I'm not going to buy powder by the pound any more. Anything I need will be in 8 pounders from now on.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    I agree: I'm not smug about stuff. I've been through shortages before, and learned from the experience. I have enough supplies to weather the storm even if it lasts for years. One thing that I have decided from this latest shortage: once things go back to "normal", I'm not going to buy powder by the pound any more. Anything I need will be in 8 pounders from now on.
    I do competitive rifle and lots of prairie dog shooting so I use more than most but it's been 20 plus years since I have purchased anything less than an 8 pounder unless a 5 is the largest option. Normally order between 32 pounds and 48 pounds at a time plus primers to minimize the hazmat cost.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-01-2021 at 10:13 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I have been preparing for this type of thing since 1970 when I came home from the First Infantry Division, and am set for life with guns, ammo reloading supplies and a few other items. having been a boy scout earlier in life helped also. of course there is always something you need, like a nice 32-20 Marling, but I can live without it.
    Barry

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by panhed65 View Post
    I have been preparing for this type of thing since 1970 when I came home from the First Infantry Division, and am set for life with guns, ammo reloading supplies and a few other items. having been a boy scout earlier in life helped also. of course there is always something you need, like a nice 32-20 Marling, but I can live without it.
    Barry
    Yup. Got one and an Uberti Cattleman to make a pair
    Good luck
    Ron

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    Not smug at all. Can't afford to be. I have 18k primers, 70lb of powder. A few k of all major caliber of brass I reload,
    I have several hundred of the oddball calibers I reload less of.

I am feeling okay with what I have but wish I had more primers. Won’t let that happen again.

I bought prime all to make primers out of and bought 22 ram set blanks so pull the priming compound out of, I have Gun cabs to make primers out of but all these methods to take away too much time and way too much effort I’d rather just buy them

Hope we come out of this soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by jessdigs; 03-02-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Well said.

Boolit Master

Ok, I'll say it; I do feel a bit smug when I listen to people that I KNOW are Biden supporters complain because their new gun is just a paperweight. I've seen posts were some feel we should reach out to these people and get them some help with supplies, but I am just not that ready to reach across the isle just yet, at least not with my supplies. I'll gladly teach them safety, and will even entertain giving them a place to shoot, with their ammo, and some training, as I would hate to see anyone get hurt, but I just don't feel like depleting my stash for people that gave us this mess in the first place. Now, my friends, or ones that are known conservatives, yea, I have traded with them, calibers, powders, and even sent out some brass to some that needed it. Primers are my only shortage, well, not short exactly, but I don't feel like I am where I would like to be with those.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Ok, I'll say it; I do feel a bit smug when I listen to people that I KNOW are Biden supporters complain because their new gun is just a paperweight. I've seen posts were some feel we should reach out to these people and get them some help with supplies, but I am just not that ready to reach across the isle just yet, at least not with my supplies. I'll gladly teach them safety, and will even entertain giving them a place to shoot, with their ammo, and some training, as I would hate to see anyone get hurt, but I just don't feel like depleting my stash for people that gave us this mess in the first place. Now, my friends, or ones that are known conservatives, yea, I have traded with them, calibers, powders, and even sent out some brass to some that needed it. Primers are my only shortage, well, not short exactly, but I don't feel like I am where I would like to be with those.
    Very well stated. I agree 100%.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Amen!!

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

Agreed !!!! And also all the ones who do shoot , but argued that it was stupid to have so many rounds and reloading supplies on hand !!! Some even say there is other things to spend money on ....... then this all hit and they ask me if i know where they might be able to find some ammo??? Ha! ....... it was next to the toliet paper last time i seen it !!!! I'm not for sure , but i think its more of how does crow taste look ??? Well I guess that might be a smug look lol!!!

Boolit Master

With No Ammo and No Reloading Supplies Available......you are effectively disarmed.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I cashed out most of my stock of primers. No way I am going to plink a few thousand rounds a year with stuff that has that much value.

Took the "profit" and invested in a high end PCP rifle, suppressor, and tank. I can shoot for less than a nickel a shot for the rest of my life without smelting scrap, casting, lubing/sizing, picking up brass, cleaning brass, or reloading....and NO hearing protection. Most of our plinking is at 50 yards or less so why throw 125-180 gr bullets at 1000-1600 fps?

Once my pellet evaluation is completed, I will buy 20k pellets and be set for a while. Then wait for sales on pellets and add another 20-30k. Will likely add a pellet pistol as well.

I suppose I am a bit smug about being prepared, but I get tired of hearing from those who made poor choices and now are in trouble. Like the OP, I had "friends" laugh at me for stocking up.

Some new members on this site are the most vocal. But the ones who tick me off the most are those using guilt to shame their "shooting brothers". If you use the word hoarder, scalper or speculator, you might be a Democrat....or at least a RINO.

The most ignorant word used by the grasshoppers is "hoarder". It is all relative. Is someone with 30k primers a hoarder? I suppose if someone shoots 1500-2000 rounds a year, it may look that way. What if they shoot 20k rounds a year?
    don i thought I saw a pellet mold at one time. Might be worth looking into.

Yesterday,LGS has berry's plated in 9mm/115/124/147: 380/100:38/357 in 125/158: .40 in 155/180:45 in 230rs/230hp. no limit.

No primers or powder though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have plenty of supplies to shoot as much as I want for the rest of my days.
    Ditto.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast