RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: With No Ammo and No Reloading Supplies Available, Just How Smug Are You?

Banned
    think I will give the prairie dogs and gophers heck out west this year, ought to be good for several thousand rounds. Should be plenty now that folks quit shooting because of short sighted plans

Boolit Master

The shortage is not my 1st rodeo. Im good for a few years. Heck i still had 22lr after the last one. The milk carton 9.00 boxes.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

I'm fine for a while - only thing I didn't have enough of was SPP but I've traded here and there, both parties walking away happy.

It's amazing - post a casting picture on the more popular social media outlets and the requests come in:
    "Hey, can you make me.."

"No".

I have made some ammo and gifted it to my closest people, but I have zero time for opportunists.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I have a little over a box (50 rounds) of 9mm and a hundred small pistol primers. So I can laugh at the shortage. This will last me the rest of my life.
    So I take it you don't own any firearms?

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

Boolit Master
    I am not smug. I am in pretty good shape for reloading, but I learned a long time ago to never get too smug. We just don't know if this stampede will ever stop. Will it quieten down in 2 years, 4 years, or have the Democrats gotten the election process locked down to where they will be basically the sole party in the US? In that case we will all be S.O.L.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Man
    Smug, no - not really, but I feel I am an opportunist. I have taken this opportunity and my several years of component purchases to help others. I have gotten several people into reloading and a couple into casting. I have taken several new firearm owners to the range and they shoot my ammo for free. All of this is done to make sure my friends and neighbors are armed and comfortable with their firearms. It does me no good to be laying on top of 50K primers and have people in my community having none. I will quote a friend of mine that was kind enough to ask if I had enough components, "I will always help out people that are in need but I won't help people that want some of what I have so they have more and I have less." All smugness aside, I like the fact that I put aside enough to share.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I don't think "smug" is the right word for times like these. Better prepared but not smug. Could be some difficult times ahead of us
    Oh, don't kid yourself. Many here have been acting smug.
    smug
    [sməɡ]
    ADJECTIVE
    having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    In times like these we have stopped shooting guns that need more powder and shoot the more cast friendly guns that use 10 to 14 grains of Unique like our 30-30's and pistols .
    Agreed.. I am shooting lots more 32/38/357 than rifle these days. If rifle... it's cast light loads.

I can reload for a while, especially the heavy hitters that require large pistol primers and small rifle primers. If this nonsense doesn't end anytime soon I will go fishing more until it does.

I have the needs of mine plus family covered and have been preparing for times such as these since 1997. That and several airguns will keep me entertained from now on out. Gp

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I figure I have enough supplies to last me at least ten years after I've died.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Remember that shooting is basically a recreation. Like going fishing. Yes, there is a skill there that can be used for putting meat on the table, but, at least for the near future, it is not a life sustaining activity for 99.99% of the people out there.

So, yes, for many of us having a couple hundred rounds for our self defense weapons is all that is 'required'.

Why do people keep saying ammo is unobtainable or $10/rnd? Last week at our local Sportsman's there were over 50 boxes of Remington 9mm ammo on the shelf. Probably same of .223 and 7.62x39. $12/box for the 9mm. Did not look at the other prices. Yes, it sold in a couple of days (limit one box per customer per day) but they get in ammo weekly now. Usually some 9mm and .223 are in the shipments. They also got in a bunch of primers (that sold out in a couple hours) and they have some powders in stock, some that would be suitable for many pistol cartridges. All of these are being sold at normal prices.

Yes, things are getting better.

Boolit Master

I got caught short on primers.

I had wanted to have 50K each LPP and SPP, 25K each LRP and SRP on hand in August of 2020. The KungFlu caused the panic buying to start early.

I'm a bit below where I wanted to be.

I'm loading 9mm for right at $4.75/100 and have been for quite some time. 45 ACP costs just a bit more.

I would not call myself smug but smart.
    NRA Benefactor.

It has really cut into my magazine dumps from my lever action 38-55 since cheap ammo is no longer availiable......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    that would be like taking a breath and hoping I had enough oxygen for the next 30 years.
    Not quite....It would be more like have a loaded gun in the house but not needing it.

Boolit Grand Master
    “Feeling smug?” I don’t know that I would say that. Rather I would suggest that one man’s “smug” might be another man’s “self assurance” depending on your outlook. I like to think of it as a sort of relaxed feeling of confidence.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Got caught short on 209 shotgun primers. My son and grandsons decided it was time to start shooting shotguns again. Have plenty of SRP, SPP, and LPP.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    think I will give the prairie dogs and gophers heck out west this year, ought to be good for several thousand rounds. Should be plenty now that folks quit shooting because of short sighted plans
    Hope you're going to leave some for me. Have to delay my spring dog shooting until summer because of work this year.

Boolit Master

Hey Don which PCP did you get? I've been researching air rifles a bit myself.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

It can be a fine line between hoarding and stock piling. The way I see it, if you are a reloader, you need 8 years worth of supply on hand going into an election year. At the very least 5 years. Anything less, and it is your own fault when you run out. If you are an adult who didn't see this shortage coming, then it is your own fault.

I suppose that makes me smug.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast