RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mec 650?

Banned

Mec 650?

Went through an antique shop today and there is one of these in 20 gauge that looks in very good shape and as far as I can tell isn't missing anything (take that for what it's worth, I'm pretty ignorant of shotgun loaders) priced at $100. Good deal? I have a 200 gauge Lee Load All, but figure if I get around to seriously loading for 20 gauge, it might be worth it.

Check around and see what new loaders go for.
    Check to see what consumable parts are available for it--
    Then make a value judgement from there.

If its in good shape, not missing anything, and needed one, I'd buy it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-28-2021 at 11:45 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

Looking at BPI, they are 380 bucks. I did notice in the picture a big (I presume) primer tray on the side of the press I didn't see in the shop. I need to research a bit more.

I'm not a MEC expert, but I think some of the features you see in their pictures are accesory/add ons that aren't very expensive anyway.
    If it needs a primer tray, they're plastic, and can't be very expensive.

I'd grab it for that price and if I didn't like it-- clean & freshen it up,
    since everyone is out of stock on them---market it properly, and resell it.
    I've also see guys want to 'think about' a deal like that for awhile, and come back to see it gone.

I saw a small, rebuilt, air comressor at a Sear's outlet store one afternoon.
    I went back the next morning and waited till they opened, and got it.
    As I was standing in line to pay for it, a couple guys walked by, headed to where it was on the isle,
    and one said, "It's gone".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-01-2021 at 12:01 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

If it's all there $100 is a good price. A conversion kit to change calibers goes for around that price. The primer tray missing on the side may be an optional primer feeder that is really not needed.

Boolit Buddy

If it’s in excellent shape and has everything needed to load like primer cup assembly, powder/shot bottles, spent primer tray etc then that’s a fair deal. If anything is missing I would offer no more than $65. I haven’t paid more than $65 for any of my 4 Mec 650’s.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Went through an antique shop today and there is one of these in 20 gauge that looks in very good shape and as far as I can tell isn't missing anything (take that for what it's worth, I'm pretty ignorant of shotgun loaders) priced at $100. Good deal? I have a 200 gauge Lee Load All, but figure if I get around to seriously loading for 20 gauge, it might be worth it.
    Back in the 70's I bought my first shotshell reloader. It was the Mec 650 from a local gun shop for $39.99. That same year I purchased my first bolt gun, the Ruger M66R in 7mm Rem Mag, brand new in the box for $79.99. My how things have changed. If that 650 is in decent shape I would jump on it. Those were great progressive presses. The one I purchased was the 12-ga model and I absolutely loved it.
    Last edited by sirgknight; 03-01-2021 at 10:54 AM.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Master
    Get it before it's gone, try to bargain but don't be stubborn. I bought 5 over the last year at an average price of $60 but that was before things went crazy. The primer try is an add on. The next thing you need is the universal powder/charging die. It will cost you almost as much as the press but you won't need any other dies. Multi-scale used to make them you can find them for time to time but we recently found another company making them. I'd have to search to figure out who. Well worth the money. We have 12ga, 20ga, 28ga & 410 with an extra 12ga. We may convert the 28ga to 16ga.

Boolit Buddy

The 650’s I am referring to were not progressive

Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    Back in the 70's I bought my first shotshell reloader. It was the Mec 650 from a local gun shop for $39.99. That same year I purchased my first bolt gun, the Ruger M66R in 7mm Rem Mag, brand new in the box for $79.99. My have things have changed. If that 650 is in decent shape I would jump on it. Those were great progressive presses. The one I purchased was the 12-ga model and I absolutely loved it.

Boolit Master
    I think the only short coming on the 650 is resizing the hull .
    Sub gage bring more money, if it is the progressive 650 jump on it.

Banned

It'll be next weekend at the earliest I could get back to it. I have a MEC 600 for 16 gauge which looks a lot simpler. Didn't realize the 650 was progressive, I generally shun progressive presses, so I may let this one sit.

Boolit Master
    with the 650 you need a super sizer to resize. the large primer tray was an option years ago, they should of at least come with a primer feeder that holds 100 primers.
    I sold my 650 and super sizer back in the last shortage for something crazy like $450 but I had a 600, 9000 and then got a size master in 20 ga still got all 3.
    650, the grabber and 9000 are all good for volume reloading, the 600 and size master you can put together short runs of just about anything.
    ive also got 600jr, new grabber and an old grabber and a 9000 in 12 gauge. whatever you get the adjustable charge bars are an excellent investment unless you just stick to one or 2 particular loads. the primer feeders, tube clamp and spring chain used to cost something like $50.

The 650 was a progressive reloader in that it had six stations. The only thing it wouldn't do is RESIZE the hull, which was addressed by using a shell resizing tool. With the 650 every time the handle was pulled you had a completed shotgun shell ready to load and shoot. Back then 500 shotshells (20 boxes) was considered a case of shells, not the measly 10 boxes in todays reduced thinking. At that time reloads could be made for a fraction of the cost of manufactured ammo. Powder was $9/lb, primers were less than .01/each, lead shot was $10/bag and a bag of 500 wads was $3. I could reload a full case of shotshells in two hours and save about half the cost of retail. Not true today; it is cheaper to buy than to reload. I currently have three 600 jr's; 12, 20 and .410. I only reload for the enjoyment and for specific loads like lead BB's or 00 buck. Back then I did a lot of dove hunting and the 650 was a fantastic method for producing large amounts of shotshells for affordable prices. As I recall, my favorite load back then was 3 1/4 drams of powder, 1 1/8 oz of shot, using green dot powder. A great reloader for sure.

P.S. I think $100 is a little steep for that reloader, unless you plan to do a lot of reloading. If you plan to be a "dabbler" then the 600 jr is quite adequate. I would want the 650 to save time on reloading larger quantities of ammo. Time, however, is the only thing you'll save at today's prices.
    Last edited by sirgknight; 03-01-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Banned
    sirgknight is correct, these days it is almost always cheaper to just buy shotshells.
    In the past I loaded thousands of rounds to save money, now I just do it because I enjoy reloading. The price of components, particularly shot, has eliminated the potential savings. If I had to buy all of the equipment now, it wouldn't pay itself off.

As for MEC loaders, They are good machines. Simple, durable and good values. Parts are readily available and they are easy to work on.

I might go $80 for a used MEC that was mostly all there just for the project. Even when they're missing a few parts they're easy to put right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    If it's all there $100 is a good price. A conversion kit to change calibers goes for around that price. The primer tray missing on the side may be an optional primer feeder that is really not needed.

I have an older 650, picked it up used way over 25 years ago....works like a charm...........think I gave under 50 for it.

MEC stated in my paperwork that they DO NOT offer caliber change kits for that model.

Boolit Master

It may have been cheaper last year to buy shotgun shell but try that right now. Nobody but nobody in our area have them for sale(gun stores). There is a guy on the classified adds who is advertising a few boxes at something like $50.00 a box. Double 00 and slug 12 gauge shell are selling for something like $5.00 apiece. The world has gone crazy. One or two individual are now asking $100.00 for a pound of powder. $100.00 for a nice M650 is a good price but you had better have components already or you will be up the creek for a little while at least. I have owned 2 650's in the past and they will do anything you need to do except resize the head on a shotgun shell. They will load a beautiful shell. I used one while shooting trap and skeet in competition years ago and I never had a fail to fire in a shell loaded on it. I used a Remington 870 to shoot trap and a SKB side by side for skeet. Never missed the resizing feature o either one of them. MEC make really fine shotgun loaders. james

Boolit Master
    you guys make me feel like a pirate. I bought a 650 in 1977, used it form couple of years, then relocated, and was off of bird hunting for a long time. When I relocated again, and back into birds , I stumbled onto a PW 375 that more than filled my needs. This winter I pulled the 650 out of the attic and sold it for $250. The buyer is very pleased with his purchase.

BTW the 650 was sold with a sizer die, but I seem to recall it was a separate operation, and never used mine, as a "super sizer" was less complicated.

That said, the 650 is a nice progressive.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Good Price! Jump on it

Boolit Master

Jumping into the reload vs. factory debate, try buying discount-priced 12 gauge 3/4 oz. target loads at Walmart sometime. Outside of the panic times such as now, it's easier to buy something that will go bang and break a clay than to craft a handload; but a reloader can make custom ammo to fit a specific need.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Today $100 is not bad for a complete and working 650.I looked a couple place a conversion kit is not available even if one was it not like changing dies in a metallic press Its usually one and done.Prices are nuts I changed a extra 12 gauge 600 to 410 a couple years ago for $70 its almost double now.I don't own a 650 have 600s and a 9000 I see the 650 doesn't size at all you will have to get some kind of sizing tool a Mec super sizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast