RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on Arsenal mold issue.

Boolit Mold

Advice needed on Arsenal mold issue.

I bought two Arsenal aluminum 5 cavity molds a while ago. I finally got one of them out and fired up the pot.
    I am not happy.......at all. I had a horrible time getting the mold to open reliably, as in most of the time it wouldn’t open. I realized the alignment pins are not cone shaped, but slightly beveled cylinders, which means the halves won’t pivot open, they have to come straight apart.
    I did lube the pins, and tried both my Lee and M&P handles, but it was absolutely the most frustrating casting session in a long time.

Am I missing something? Is there a technique issue? I did try keeping the block halves parallel, with little success.

Any advice?

Boolit Master
    Any trouble cutting the sprue? Most mold makers recommend tapping the mold apart. I tap lightly on the bolt head holding the handles together.
    Last edited by slide; 02-28-2021 at 07:57 PM. Reason: more info
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Mold
    The sprue cuts easily. I did try tapping the bolt lightly.
    The halves had to come apart almost perfectly parallel or they stuck fast.

Boolit Master
    I would contact Arsenal. There are going to be guys along that will tell you to do this and do that. I wouldn't mess with it. Send it back or get some advice from the maker. Try the other one and see how it does.

This seems to be an Arsenal issue in my experience anyway with both the brass and aluminum four cavity that I have. I learned from a member here to cut the sprue, invert the mold and tap the bottom of the nut vs. the top while applying a little bit of outward pressure on the mold handles. This opens the mold up very smoothly, I know this sounds kind of like a pain in the rear and although it shouldn’t be this way it really isn’t that much of a hassle.

Boolit Master

I do the cut invert tap while applying pressure , I would like to see pins that look more like Mihecs bullet shaped ones , I emailed about my Arsenal mold that had this issue but never received a reply , I still order his molds when it is something I have a need for , but expect to develop your own rhythm and style with that mold .

I also have a mold from Mihec that over time the far end alignment pin and hole were sticky I lubed I cleaned I polished and it would still catch so then I went and got my lapping compound and lapped it a little for whatever burr or deposit had formed that I could not see and back in business , it had never shown an issue before and it is back to working smooth now .

Sometimes some molds just need a little different method and they seem to have there own personalities and quirks , When they are running smooth and the bullets are dropping and the melt is flowing and all the stars have aligned it is time to keep casting as long as it does and when you hit a day where things do not seem to work , take a break walk away go trim cases or one of the other things needs done as getting frustrated is not worth it .

Boolit Mold
    I’ll try the inverted tap next time I fire up the pot. And have another mold lined up just in case the IT method doesn’t work out.

I’ve been using the lube from one of my M&P sets. It looks like 2-cycle oil. Is there a lube that works well on your alignment pins? Will anti-seize compound work at 700+?

Boolit Master

One thing to study is if the blocks have plenty of play on the handles. There should be some jiggle when the blocks are closed (don't squeeze the handles when assessing). I wouldn't think that straight pins would matter. That is how LBT are designed. They have no issues opening.

I do have one Accurate mold that doesn't open well, but that is the mold hanging onto the bullet, not the alignment pins.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 03-01-2021 at 02:07 AM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

I have a 5 cavity Accurate aluminum mold that I have to push against one end of the mold with my hammer handle as I open it. It keeps the two halves parallel as I open the mold. For the guys who use a gloved hand to open the sprue they could use their gloved hand to hold the mold together as they open the mold.

Moderator Emeritus

I have two different Arsenal 5 cavity molds. Both open and close just fine with my technique (cut, invert, tap)...same with NOE molds as they have very similar alignment pins. I have over a dozen NOE molds and I did have one NOE mold that opened and closed with considerable difficulty...after a talk with the Owner of NOE (Al), I took his recommendation of looking for a burr in the alignment pin receptacle, I found a burr and swiped it with a case deburring tool and that solved the problem of the cavities sticking together.
    With that said, I don't know if Arsenal and NOE have similar or different machining processes to have the occasional condition I mention, but it's worth a looksie,
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I do have to wonder why Arsenal and Noe haven't changed over to tapered pins. You wont find these issues with MP, Lee, Accurate etc etc

Boolit Master

I've never had a problem opening my Arsenal molds. I've got half a dozen of them. Never had a problem with my NOE molds either.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Hey DaveN, I measured the barrel pins on my two molds and they stick out about 0.12. You might check yours and see what you get.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a problem with my Arsenal mold as well. I was using in its second session and it started closing harder. I noticed one of the alignment pins had walked out ànd was hanging up. Took me forever to get someone to get back to me after emails and phone calls. Finally someone called me and I sent it back on my own dime. They fixed the pin and I haven't had further problems. It is not a good design though, in spite of all that. I am not home right now but I didn't think my NOE molds had the same pin system.
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 03-12-2021 at 02:28 PM.

I sent one of my molds back to Arsenal as well to fix the issue, didn't work. The inverted tap with slight outward pressure on the handles did the trick for me so I just let it go. I will say that even during these goofy times, Arsenal (I believe it was Jared who I was dealing with) has been excellent just understandably delayed a bit in customer service.

Boolit Mold
    The alignment pins stick out 0.133 a d 0.132

Boolit Mold
    An Update: I fired up the pot Sunday, and got out the mold in question. The invert and tap method works well. If I lightly rested the opened sprue plate on something while opening the mold, it worked even better.

Thanks for the tip.

Glad it worked out for you

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    I do have to wonder why Arsenal and Noe haven't changed over to tapered pins. You wont find these issues with MP, Lee, Accurate etc etc
    Tapered pins have to be set at precisely the correct depth. No you don't hear of sticking problems with tapered pins, but instead you hear about either misalignment (pins too deep), or molds not closing all the way (pins too tall). You don't have that problem with straight sided pins, and generally they open just fine. I've not had any issues with mine. If I were to build a mold, I would probably opt for the same pins Arsenal does. You rarely hear of any issues with Accurate's tapered pins, because Tom is so good at what he does. Problems with Lee pins are not uncommon. You hear about issues with MP from time to time.

Boolit Bub
    Resurrecting this thread. Received my first arsenal mold this week - 2 in fact. a 5 cavity aluminum and a 4 cavity brass.
    Heated up the pot excited to try the aluminum first- and this exact situation happened to me. I couldn't get the mold open, very frustrating with a brand new mold. stop and inspected- the alignment pin hole looks kinda jacked. Stopped what i was doing and took pictures and sent an email to arsenal.

Moved over to the brass mold. Same thing happened in half the time. Both molds didnt even make it past wrinkled bullets.

I have countless lee molds and at least 10ish lyman/ideal molds. Ive never had this problem and Ive been doing this long enough im just not going to change the way I cast to suit these alignment pins. I have an uncle who was a career machinst and also reloads/casts. Before I get too crazy hating on arsenal I'm gonna have him go over them and see what we can do to make them both usable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast