MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 40 S&W in Ruger GP100 10MM

40 S&W in Ruger GP100 10MM

I have been attempting to get consistent ignition using 40 cal in my 10MM using moon clips. Ignition is 100% using 10MM brass; hot so much when I swtich to 40S&W. I think teh problem lies with the 40 cal rim and the groove in the case ahead of the main body. I think the groove is slightly wider causing movement in teh case when the firing pin strikes the primer. I have had some c,ips go 6 x 65 while most run 5x6 or less. The solution I think is going to be found in using or finding slightly thicker moon clips. Thoughts and experiences from other folks with this revolver.

This quest is due to the fact I shoot a lot of IDPA and could use this gun in ESR Division IF I can get the 40 cal rounds to fire 100%. The 40 rounds are shorter htan the 10MM rds and are slightly faster to reload.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    That is the solution...thick clips from TK Custom or Ranch Products. I bought the expensive ones from TK and they have been 100% with .40 S&W. Others have had luck with the ones from Ranch Products for the S&W 610, others have not.

If you don't have the loading and de-mooning tools for the thick clips buy them...it makes life really easy.

The Ruger factory clips are basically only for ejection of 10mm ammo....the 10mm brass headspaces on the case mouth not the clip like the .40 S&W has to. That is why they can be made so easy to load and unload...

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    That is the solution...thick clips from TK Custom or Ranch Products. I bought the expensive ones from TK and they have been 100% with .40 S&W. Others have had luck with the ones from Ranch Products for the S&W 610, others have not.

If you don't have the loading and de-mooning tools for the thick clips buy them...it makes life really easy.

The Ruger factory clips are basically only for ejection of 10mm ammo....the 10mm brass headspaces on the case mouth not the clip like the .40 S&W has to. That is why they can be made so easy to load and unload...

Bob
    Thanks Bob for the info. I talked to the fellow who owns Ranch Products and he said he would run off a batch of thicker grips and send me a sample. I will get back to hom to see if he intends to do so. Otherwise I will bite the bullet and buy a bunch of the TK clips. I;ll phone them tomorrow.

Do you shoot IDPA or USPSA?

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I shoot USPSA with my Ruger GP-100 in 10mm. I also have a S&W model 646 in .40 S&W I have used.
    I use Ranch Products moon clips.
    I got some occasional misfires using .40 S&W brass in my GP-100 but they went away when I switched to using 10mm brass & the Ranch moons.

As mentioned above I have spoken who's the owner of ranch products. In a month's time he intends to produce but a thousand Moon clips that will be thicker and should work well with 40 cal cases. I think he intends to use the same thickness as he uses 4 45 calibre cases. He will send me a sample of the clips. I will report back here if they work and our 100% reliable.

Take Care

Bob

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Sorry to barge in but,,where can i find 1 of these 10mm gp100,s
    Ive looked everywhere,thanks

Boolit Master
    They are still out there but very hard to find... Have you tried placing an order with a local gun dealer and just hope that one comes in.... I just asked my dealer to BO a 3" so whenever one comes into his distributor it will hopefully head my way...

A year ago this time there would always be 20 of 4", 5" and 3" on GunBroker...no more...

Bob

Boolit Master

I have the 10mm/40 sw Blackhawk. It has interchangeable cylinders. Is a spare cylinder and option for the GP 100?
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Only the Blackhawk has the interchangeable cylinders. None in the DA line.

Boolit Master

Lipseys emailed me,and said only 415 of the 10mm,s were made.so i probaly will never find 1.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mainiac View Post
    Lipseys emailed me,and said only 415 of the 10mm,s were made.so i probaly will never find 1.
    Lipseys may have had 415 made but I believe total production numbers are higher than that. I saw a 10mm Match Champion at a LGS a couple weeks ago and was sorely tempted.

I have a 3” WC GP-100 in 10mm and no .40S&W gun so I went out in more plentiful times and bought a box of .40s to see what the deal was. Even using the standard thickness Ranch products moonclips I had more than 50% misfires with the .40s. I’d think the TK clips designed for .40S&W would be a quality if expensive solution but since I don’t inventory.40 it’s a moot point for me.

Boolit Buddy

had 3 model 610 S&W revolvers at one time, only 1 now, A first issue (610 no dash ). All I ever used was Ranch moon clips shooting 40, never had any problem with misfires. Always shot 40 in USPSA and IDPA for the faster reloads. Of course always used Federal primers due to light triggers.
    eveready

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Do you shoot IDPA or USPSA?Bob
    Shot IPSC from the mid-1970s till 1995 when I got tired of all the "gamesmanship"... I do shoot IDPA at a small local club but I shoot it as tactically correct as possible instead of going for nothing but time... Usually shoot a Commander in .38 Super most of the time as that is what I carry but do shoot .41 Magnum Model 58s in the summer time...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post

Bob
    This.

I wanted to make my GP MC an all-round gun for IDPA and field carry, but have been very disappointed with accuracy with .40 S&W.

I added a SwampFox dot to the GP and it now gets fed only 10mm for field carry.

I intend to try it out on feral hogs as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

I haven’t shot IDPA lately, but I’ve got a 625 or M-66 for that.

I wish to hell Ruger would legitimize the .41 Special in a 6-shot GP100. They expend plenty of R&D on stuff that makes a lot less sense.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I wish to hell Ruger would legitimize the .41 Special in a 6-shot GP100. They expend plenty of R&D on stuff that makes a lot less sense.
    I own a GP-100 in 10mm. I don’t own anything in .41 caliber. No dies, no brass, no appropriate molds, not even a shell holder. .41 Special won’t do appreciably more than my 10mm.

AND I’ll be telling myself that while I fill out the 4473 and whip out a credit card for the first .41 Special GP-100 I find...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I own a GP-100 in 10mm. I don’t own anything in .41 caliber. No dies, no brass, no appropriate molds, not even a shell holder. .41 Special won’t do appreciably more than my 10mm.

AND I’ll be telling myself that while I fill out the 4473 and whip out a credit card for the first .41 Special GP-100 I find...
    No .41 stuff here, either, but I’d gladly invest in the platform to have a 6-shot medium frame chambered in a big-bore round.

Maybe not a huge advantage, but the .41 is an actual revolver round. Throats are shorter, all bullets/molds are designed for revolvers, and no moons required.