Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Grants Pass, Oregon Gun Show

Boolit Master

Grants Pass, Oregon Gun Show

We finally got to have a gun show in our area after a years absence.
    A buddy and I arrived 15-20 minutes before opening and there was at least 100 people in line.
    Masks were required and were worn by almost everyone.
    6' social distancing was a joke as you can imagine. I tried not to rub shoulders with anyone.
    Now the good news and bad news.
    There was plenty of components for sale.
    Primers were $250 a thousand and powder was $80-100 a pound.
    I never looked at the price of bullets.
    There was plenty of ammo at highly inflated prices.
    One commercial reloader had decent prices and was getting plenty of business.
    I never checked gun prices as I am not in the market.
    I did buy a box of 20 ga shells for $5 and 25# of shot for $10.
    It was good to get out of the house.

Banned
    Good to hear.

I hope those people with inflated prices didn't make table fees with their sales.

They are the ones hitting the big retail store when shipments come in and buying up all the primers and powder before we can get some.

Sportsmans Wharehouse is still selling powder and primers at pre-china virus prices.

Unfortunately, I think it will be a while (maybe years) before we find good powder and primer prices at gun shows

Moved to ID and the gun shows are just hawkers selling hyper inflated ammo and components, brand new firearms and pre war guns with gold bullion stuffed in them. Miss the old days where a few guys were selling stuff they didn't need or brought out their "gun drawers" to sell their "junk". Funny to see all the old ammo and components people dig up to sell for a ferarri payment. Teaching kids and future voters that guns are a rich man's game where it's dog-eat-dog.

I haven't been to a Ray and Don's gun show, but fear it may be the same.

Boolit Master
    Our local show is happening in about 2 weeks. I'll guarantee that few if any folks will be wearing masks, and I doubt very much if anyone will have any primers.

Boolit Master
    I'm the "Don" in Ray and Don's gunshow.
    Unfortunately, we have no control over what our vendors ask for their merchandise, nor what the economy does to the supply and demand side. What we do have control over, is giving the general public a chance to have a little time out of the house, with like minded people.
    I've been a vendor at gunshows for more than a dozen years, selling mostly used reloading hardware - dies, presses, powder measures, etc... Sometimes, I'll sell a personal firearm that doesn't get the attention from me that I thought it would. I will always negotiate on the price, because after all, used merchandise is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I also sell on the Swapping and selling portion of the board here, and the prices are essentially the same. Only difference being, that I don't have to box it up and add shipping for the stuff I sell at the gunshow.
    I do the gunshows because I like the interaction with the people there - vendors and public. I'm certainly not getting rich, or even making a living at it. It's a hobby, just like casting and shooting.
    Yes, there are some ridiculous prices ASKED at the shows, and no, there's no guarantee that you will find that one thing you're looking for, at an unheard of low price. But if you go to the shows looking for some great comradery, and stop and gab with people who share your interests, then you'll have a great time for a small $5 door fee.
    And you just might find that rare treasure you've been looking for - you'll never know, if you stay home!

Send me a PM if you want to know more about our gunshow, or anything about how it's run. I would be happy to answer any questions!!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    I'm the "Don" in Ray and Don's gunshow.
    Unfortunately, we have no control over what our vendors ask for their merchandise, nor what the economy does to the supply and demand side. What we do have control over, is giving the general public a chance to have a little time out of the house, with like minded people.
    I've been a vendor at gunshows for more than a dozen years, selling mostly used reloading hardware - dies, presses, powder measures, etc... Sometimes, I'll sell a personal firearm that doesn't get the attention from me that I thought it would. I will always negotiate on the price, because after all, used merchandise is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I also sell on the Swapping and selling portion of the board here, and the prices are essentially the same. Only difference being, that I don't have to box it up and add shipping for the stuff I sell at the gunshow.
    I do the gunshows because I like the interaction with the people there - vendors and public. I'm certainly not getting rich, or even making a living at it. It's a hobby, just like casting and shooting.
    Yes, there are some ridiculous prices ASKED at the shows, and no, there's no guarantee that you will find that one thing you're looking for, at an unheard of low price. But if you go to the shows looking for some great comradery, and stop and gab with people who share your interests, then you'll have a great time for a small $5 door fee.
    And you just might find that rare treasure you've been looking for - you'll never know, if you stay home!

Send me a PM if you want to know more about our gunshow, or anything about how it's run. I would be happy to answer any questions!!

Don
    I appreciate what you just said. I attended a gun show many, many years ago. It was something to do on a Sunday afternoon. I was not impressed at all. Seemed like mostly junk with very few NEW guns and for sure there was nothing that interested me. Fast forward to about 5 or 6 years ago, and the complexion of ALL gun shows had totally changed. Yes, there is still some junk, but it pretty much is labeled as junk and priced accordingly, and one man's junk is always another man's treasure, so it works. I also began reloading at about that same time, and did my best to buy what I needed from the vendors, basically to encourage those vendors to keep coming back. Many of those vendors will have little reason to show up if they don't have primers and such, but I still plan on attending, and if primers are available and reasonably priced, I will buy some.

Boolit Master
    I enjoy the shows. Enjoy looking at the different firearms and knives. There is always something of interest. Who cares if some items are overpriced. Life is about the journey. The nice thing now is a lot of neat older stuff is showing up that would not have if things were normal.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition