RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS hand priming tool?

Boolit Master

RCBS hand priming tool?

Which one of the RCBS hand priming tools works the best?
    Is the universal shell holder one better than the one that
    just takes standard shell holders? Thanks for any info.
    leadhead

it works with RCBS shell holder, but is the only hand primer I have found that has no issue doing .458 SOCOM

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't know for sure, the only RCBS one I have used is the one that takes separate shell holders, and I have used Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Redding and RCBS shell holders with it. I can't remember any that flat out didn't work with mine.

I keep it in the box it came in, still has the price of $22.95 on it.

Robert

I don't have one that uses shell holders. But I can clean out my range bag, citric acid wash and sort a bunch of brass from .32acp up to .444marlin or .45 colt. Go through and just prime as long as its the right size primer. No swapping shell holders. Just do it.

Normally in my process after they are sized, flared, primed they go upside down in a block until I am ready to charge and load them. Before that they may or may not be in a block. They could be in a cool whip container.

I prefer the Universal simply because I never have to go find the right shell holder just to prime a case.
    So if I'm priming large pistol I can switch from .44mag to .45 colt without any pauses to hunt shell holders.
    Yes its a little thing but every one of those little frustrations you can eliminate just makes life smoother.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I have both, I like the newer one that does not require shell holders. That said, I like them both and keep one set up for small primers and the other for large.

If I only had one, it would be the newer model that does not require shell holders. Besides the convenience of not having to change shell holders, it has a square primer tray, which is easier to load with the current primer packaging.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    I have two of the RCBS hand held priming tools that uses the standard shell holders.

One stays set up for large primers and the second one as a small primer tool.

I have a pair of organizers from HF with clear lids and I keep my shell holders sorted by number in their respective divider and there are multiples of most sizes because my press needs it’s shell holder, the priming tool needs one and most of the time I follow up with a bench seater to back up primers that need further seating and it also requires a shell holder.

I have not used the Universal hand tool by RCBS so I can not compare it to the shell holder version I use.

What I can say is that I like tools I have.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 02-27-2021 at 11:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

OK, Thanks guys. I'm kind of on the fence about which one to get. I saw a utube review on the
    newer one and the guy said if he had to do it over again, he would buy the one that uses the
    shell holders. I've used the old Lee round tray ones for as long as I can remember, and they
    were very simple and easy to use, but time has taken it's toll on them. Need something new.
    leadhead

Boolit Master
    I had the one that uses shellholders and it worked fine even if it's a little trouble to change things. Several years ago, I bought two of the Universals. Neither would fully seat primers 100% of the time. In comparison with other hand priming tools, both required more hand pressure than necessary. I returned both tools.

Boolit Master

Thanks lotech..... I think that's what the guy on u tube was talking about.
    leadhead

Boolit Grand Master

I have one of each, and the universal shell holder isn't on mine. It does not reliably hold 32S&W cases, so it probably won't hold the Long cases either. GhostHalk you must have a newer or better one if yours will reliably hold 32ACP.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Well, I decided I want the RCBS primer tool, but I want the one that uses the
    standard shell holders. Now if I can find one where I don't have to float a loan.
    Is it just me or are the prices of these things thru the roof?
    leadhead

Boolit Master
    My RCBS tools that use the standard shell holders don’t always fully seat all primers either.

For the primers that need a little more crush I have the vintage RCBS standard bench tool (copy of the Lachmyer) with the cam and no primer feed to back up my hand tools.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    Ive had both the RCBS hand primers for a while now. The older style that uses shell holders has a bit longer squeeze to seat a primer, but I think its smoother feeling to me. That said the Universal has a much better primer tray. It is also a bit harder for me to use for larger cases as I get older. I actually prefer the older style by a bit.

Boolit Master

Will the newer square tray fit on the one with the round tray?
    You could always buy the square tray if they interchange.
    leadhead

I have one that has a round primer holder, uses the shell holder. I bought it because my old Lee priming tool would not handle the 416 Rigby. I dislike this tool because it is a pain to change shell holders. It is sitting on my bench now because I sold the 416.

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master

dakota..... private message sent.

Boolit Master

I have both. The universal holder isn't super friendly with 32 caliber stuff. some better than others. It also doesn't like real thick rims.

So I keep my old one with shell holders for cantankerous stuff.. and the uni for the stuff it likes.

Also.. if the primer pockets are tight.. the uni will let the shell pop out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Will the newer square tray fit on the one with the round tray?
    You could always buy the square tray if they interchange.
    leadhead
    yes I dont use the round tray anymore

Boolit Master

I have 5 of the old RCBS Posi-Prime that does not use a tray. I prefer them over any tray type primer. my preference anyway, james

Boolit Bub
    I just ordered an rcbs universal. The other one was cheaper but, like most things, out of stock everywhere I checked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast