Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Hollow base wadcutters.

Boolit Mold

Hollow base wadcutters.

I have no idea in where to begin on a standard load for .45 colt using Matt's bullets 240 grn. hbwc. out of a cimarron thunderer. if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Not to be rude, but I'd sure encourage getting a Lyman cast loading book.

It'll answer just about any question you have on the .45, plus-- its a pretty good read too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

My Lyman 49th shows no data for a hollow based bullet of any weight for 45 Colt, nor any wadcutter data (My Lyman CB Handbooks are out in the shop). I might start a grain or two below minimum charges of Unique or W231 for starters as listed under a 250 gr. RNFP. But that's for my gun shot in my hands...

I normally don't go too far out with an odd bullet and no known load data and try extrapolating data. Maybe someone with Quickload can find a reasonable data guesstamite for you...

Contact Matt's for data?
    Last edited by mdi; 02-27-2021 at 04:29 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    You're likely not gonna find any load data for that bullet in a .45 Colt. That bullet came out of a MP Mold. I have that mold and cast those bullets. However, what I do is only lube the bottom lube groove and crimp into the upper lube groove. The load you use will be dependent upon how deeply you seat that bullet into the case. Since your upper lube groove is lubed, I would suggest using about 6.0 grains of a fast powder like Red Dot, 700X, or a similar powder, and crimping into the bullet just above the upper lube groove. Just MHO.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'll echo USSR. I have never used a HBWC om 45 Colt - have used a solid WC but seated them out - NOT flush or nearly flush with the case mouth as you might do with something like a 38 special.

Not familiar with Matt's Bullets - but what do they suggest as far as loads - i.e. COAL and loading data?

I have all four editions of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks - unfortunately, they are in Michigan and I am in Arizona - but I don't remember any loading data for a HBWC or a solid WC in any of them - if someone says there is, then I stand corrected on that.

I'm not suggesting a load as there are too many unknown variables. If I couldn't find loading data for it - then I would probably load up a couple of dummy rounds - possibly do as suggested as lubing the bottom groove and crimping in another groove and see what the COAL is - then compare it to a COAL of a same weight boolit. The hollow base would add "case volume" so if you started at minimum or a tad below and work up - you would probably find a sweet spot. I don't have a "Thunder" - but I do have a number of Uberti revolvers in a wide variety of calibers - including 45 Colt and 45 Colt conversion cylinders (for Uberti cap and ball) - and I don't push any of them hard as for my shooting, it's not necessary. YMMV

Try contacting the bullet supplier and see what they suggest. If you don't have a copy of one of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks it would be a good idea to get one if you are going to shoot cast as they have a wealth of information in them. I probably use the 3rd edition and then the 4th edition more than any other manual I have on the shelf.

Hopefully there will be someone that is familiar with this boolit and who shoots it who will come along and be able to provide you with more information. Good luck and welcome to the site!

Boolit Grand Master

I can find no data for 240 gr. HBWC in 45 Colt . Solid base boolits are common but not HBWC.
    Perhaps Matt has some load data for this one .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I ran some of the mp 45cal hbwc's in a 1911 chambered in 45acp. Tested them with 4gr of bullseye with a oal that passed the plunk test.

Boolit Master
    50willysjeep,

What powders do you have?

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Will give don's idea a try, thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are not going to find data for that boolit. Were I loading it, I would start at 5.0 grains of Bullseye (or Reddot), 6.0 grains of WW231 or 7.0 grains 0f Unique. These represent 80% loads of the starting data for a 250 SWC in Speer's manual. I might nudge these up .2 grains at a time, but to a max of not more than 1.0 grain, if my accuracy was not what I liked. But I would go no higher, unless you have the Oehler 43 and pressure testing gear to properly evaluate what pressure you are getting.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Since the .45 Colt has so much case volume, would it be safe to use load data for a heavier, solid base lead bullet that has the same bullet length (adjust CAOL if the bullet length is off a few thou)? Or is this playing with fire?

I don’t see hollow base data in my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Ed.

Boolit Master

Bout 40 years ago I worked with 2 gentlemen. One was a former NYC cop, and the other had just been hired as a part time cop in Winchester. The main duty was going to be working weekend security at a place that specialized in black eyes, broken noses and square dancing. As the new hire had been told that .38 spc was the only caliber allowed on the job, the older guy told him that he'd load up some hot 148gr HBWC. He cautioned that he sometimes loaded the rounds backwards. By mistake.

No recommendation here, just a story from my ute.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    I use the MP HBWCs in .32-20 & .30 Carbine revolvers & rifles, and various other .30 rifles, all my .38/357s, my shooting partner's M57, my own M29, 629, Bulldogs, Super Blackhawks, four different .44 carbines, a pair of .45 Blackhawks, a 625JM in both ACP & AutoRim brass, and a .45 R92. I haven't tried it in my 1911 YET but tomorrow is another day! FWIW, my walking-around load for the .45 LC/AR revos has been about 6.0/Unique seated to the front groove, or inverted, seated flush. I suspect that'd about fit most needs for such a load. If Unique is unavailable, any listed load with Herco, Blue Dot, Universal, Trail Boss et al should work fine. The R92 has done great with a bit more Unique and with Blue Dot but I haven't wanted to approach skirt-blowing levels.
    I don't know the Thunderer's level of lockup strength but presume it's shy of what the R92 can do. Given that it's proofed for at least factory 45LC, I would start with a book load for the same weight LRN or SWC, seat the HBWC out to the front grease groove as USSR stated (maybe wipe the lube out of that groove and crimp in it) and see how they shoot and feed. At the pressures we're discussing, a bit of experimentation in seating depth to get the ammo to feed in your rifle is just plain not gonna be a big issue. It's not like you want a speed demon load with that big chunk, despite what Buffalo Bore are doing with hot-rodded wadcutters, and it shouldn't be any great effort to find something that will suit your needs. With a manually operated action, you're not using pressure nor recoil to work the bolt, so just start with a moderate Schofield or AutoRim or LC load for the same weight boolit, then put one foot after the other and let the recoil and observed fired-case condition tell you when to let off the accelerator.
    Ed <><

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all.