WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: NOE push through sizing dies

NOE push through sizing dies

I have numerous lee push through sizing dies, and the PC goes through them pretty slick.... I got a Noe push through sizer thinking surely this will be the bees knees (i really like their molds)... but to my suprise, it's hard to push a 9mm through and dang it, it took my powder off the sides... If I lube it, it goes through ok, but I don't have to with the lee.... did I get a bum one??

I have at least 20 of the Noe push through sizing bushings and nearly that many Lee sizers. You can size down a larger amount with the Lee in one step but the Noe bushings are a lot more accurate in size in my opinion. Gp

Boolit Master
    Did you measure the bullets that went through the noe die and compare it to the size that is marked on the die? Make sure you get all the excess powder shaken off of your bullets. Most guys are scared to shake too much. You want a thin coat. I have as many noe as gpidaho and have never had a problem with them.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

I have Lee and NOE sizing. The Lee has a much larger entry mouth and a generous angle to steer the bullet/boolit into the die mouth.

The NOE dies have a very small radiused mouth into the sizing portion (and yes they seem to be tighter tolerances). They will shave off powder, even down to the lead if the difference is more than a .001 or two.

I find that I size boolits with the NOE dies Before powder coating. For the Lee dies; I find that sizing after powder coating is my choice.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elginrunner View Post
    I have numerous lee push through sizing dies, and the PC goes through them pretty slick.... I got a Noe push through sizer thinking surely this will be the bees knees (i really like their molds)... but to my suprise, it's hard to push a 9mm through and dang it, it took my powder off the sides... If I lube it, it goes through ok, but I don't have to with the lee.... did I get a bum one??
    If the NOE sizing bushing " took my powder off the sides" of your boolits, I would polish the entrance to the die.

I've used a bullet-shaped buffing felt, a Dremel tool, and some medium then fine polishing compound

I've also use sandpaper formed into a cone with the grit on the outside and spin it in the entrance to the sizing bushing with a drill and (a Philips bit, a countersink bit, something cone-shaped) I work my way up to 800-1000 grit

I find that lightly polishing the inside of a sizing die (just to smooth off machine marks) also helps make sizing easier.

I never have problems with any polished sizing dies taking off powdercoating even sizing down .03-.05 with properly applied/cured PC

I'm a big fan of NOE, their molds, sizing system (takes a lot less room to store the bushings), and their case neck/mouth expanders.

Boolit Master
    The NOE is a nifty system but like Conditor22 says they really benefit from some coning/polishing of the entry to make them "sizers" rather than "shavers".

I've measured after PC and before sizing... the 9mm is .360, the sizing die is .356.....I really despise buying tools and having to work on them to make them "work"....

Banned
    What is the boolit size before PCing?? it sounds like your putting a really thick coat of PC on them.

lee sizing dies screw down from the top so you can "cam-over" the press and get extra pressure
    where the NOE screw up from the bottom eliminating the possibility of cam over and giving you a little less "power" for sizing.

Boolit Master
    Can you post photos of before and after sizing?
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy
    I have noticed that one of my bushings was a little harder than the others but it eased up a bit after use. Also, there were some bullets that I thought were very difficult to size but then I realized they all were slightly out of round. So even so my calipers gave me a specific reading, they were harder to push through than other bullets of the same diameter but from a different mold.

Boolit Buddy
    I should also add. That i have shaved pc when going from .228 to .225 after PC. I always keep my post PC sizing the same as pre pc sizing. I'd never try more than 0.002 if I were forced to

Boolit Master
    Yes, the NOE bushings have a shorter tapered section. I believe the angles are the same as the Lee but the entry is narrower.

I have also shaved the coating from PC bullets when trying to size down too much.

They are also very sensitive to the bullet not being centered on the ram. If off by a little bit the bullet is tipped going into the bushing and some may be shaved.

This smaller entry is probably the one thing I do not like about the NOE system.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve always had to do a bit of polishing to get the NOE bushings to work satisfactorily
    with coated bullets but they are a lot closer to the listed size than Lee dies.

Boolit Master

Lube the boolits.

I use http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/sizing-lube/ on all my PC and Hi-Tek boolits before sizing.

You can really feel the difference.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I've not needed to smooth any NOE sizing die so far and I have 6 or so for various calibers.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Man
    I lube the bullets like Burnt Fingers and find they size better with the Lee dies. I put the bullets in a plastic container and put a few drops of Ballistol in the bucket. Then I sprinkle very sparingly some Microlubrol into the bucket and swirl or mix well. They run through the die like poop through a goose. I do remove the lube after sizing by spreading them on a large towel and spray with alcohol and rub them with the towel. The last step is probably not necessary but I just want to make sure to not contaminate power in the loads. Microlubrol is amazing stuff

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Thumbs up to NOE sizing dies. All the different incremental sizes you can get are great. The only difficulty I’ve had getting boolits through after PCing is and I admit I am guilty of often not knocking enough powder off and there is a accumulation around the base. Normally, it gets smoothed off, sometimes with a lot of force. Sometimes a chunk comes off the base and I have to discard the boolit. However, normally if I do my part, the sizers work great.

Boolit Master

I for one am looking forwarded to receiving and trying out their case expanders. it bugs me getting my bullets sized just right only to find a pulled bullet has the based sized down by the case.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan