WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: SBH Leading

Boolit Master

SBH Leading

If this seems more appropriate in the "fillers" thread, Someone please move it!!
    With the Times what they are. I acquired a box of unknown mfg. commercial cast, 240gr bevel base, SWC..Cheap

Problem... boolits sized .430. But, like most Blackhawks, My cylinder throats are .431, and bore is smaller, mine at .4298 = Leaded forcing cone, and beginning of rifling!!

Even with fairly mild loadings. Tried a stout load of 2400 too... Bad Idea.

Solution, remove "wax" lube, use custom gas check seater to put checks on the bevel base, then size/relube with .431 sizer, in the old #45!!!

Not a perfect solution... but if any "streaking" after that, I loaded some "out of the box" atop a Starting [actually a bit less than start] load of Unique, topped with Corn Meal!!! Yea, I seem to have run out of COW!!!

Then BB-SWC seated and crimped, compressing the whole mess slightly. In My Guns. this nearly Always Shoots the Gun Clean!!! Accuracy is pretty darn good, also!!! Use at yer own Risk...and YMMV, and all that jazz!!!

Just thought I would share.

BTW the COW [or Corn Meal in this case] came back to me because I have been "scrubbing" an "only fair" 8mm Mauser barrel, with this method!!!

Just kinda Bored and thought I would Share, Trying to save a $$$

Boolit Master
    See if you can get some of the gas checks for plain based bullets. Seat and crimp check on in the .431" die and then light tumble lube over the existing lube. That "might" take care of the gas leak problem. Seat the bullet long in the case so it is entering the throat in the chamber if you can. That might help reduce gas blow by enough to stop your leading issue.

Boolit Master

racepres
    Lots of different reasons for leading issues. The commercial cast bullets can be very hard, so little to no obturation. Doesn't sound like the throats are to far out of line to that particular bullet diameter. The throats could be .0005 tighter, but may not be necessary. Do you measure with a decent micrometer? Sounds as though your barrel may have some constriction where the barrel screws into the frame. That would really cause leading issues. As for the bb bullets, I don't think you can get a gas check to latch on, and hang on to the base of that bullet. Then, theres the commercial hard "waxy" lube. That stuff never has been a good bullet lube. The only reason it's used, is that it will take more abuse in handling and shipping for the manufacturer.
    Personally. I would check the barrel to frame constriction first. Hope this helps.
    Jack
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Thank you both
    My checks are going on square and solid, for now. Dusty, I will certainly try loading closer to the end of the cylinder, long.. Littlejack, I would be willing to bet there is constriction at barrel threads!! Good call!
    Right now accuracy and lead control are pretty darn good with my gas checks and old NRA formula alox lube that is in the #45!!
    I suspect these inexpensive boolits are Hard as woodpecker lips, and I have never liked them waxy lubes..for now I'm content with where I am. And happy to have an alternative projectile for my COW nay CM, clean up loadings.
    One day, if the COW cleans that 8mm bbl up I will come back braggin on that!!!

Vendor Sponsor

I have taken a heavy ball peen hammer to boolits before, put them on the anvil of my vise and smack the crap out of them, then run them through the sizer. It's not pretty but they fit the throats perfectly.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I have taken a heavy ball peen hammer to boolits before, put them on the anvil of my vise and smack the crap out of them, then run them through the sizer. It's not pretty but they fit the throats perfectly.
    Wow!! Talk about different methods
    I generally end up with slightly "bumped up" boolits of my making, just seating checks with my press vs the 45l&s!! But hard as these seem to be?? Maybe the hammer comes out!!!
    Last edited by racepres; 02-27-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Boolit Master

I just tried seating some plain base gas checks on some .41 bb 215 grain cast. As near as I can tell, theres only about .030 of gas check hanging onto the bullet, just above the top edge of the bevel. Looked pretty good. But the truth of them working, would be digging up some fired slugs.
    I really dislike bb bullets. I took my Lee 230 grain TC bb mould, and very carefully trimmed the bevel base off with a very sharp small blade pocket knife. Now, I have a very desirable flat base mould that works great.
    Last edited by littlejack; 02-27-2021 at 05:25 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    I just tried seating some plain base gas checks on some .41 bb 215 grain cast. As near as I can tell, theres only about .030 of gas check hanging onto the bullet, just above the top edge of the bevel. Looked pretty good. But the truth of them working, would be digging up some fired slugs.
    I really dislike bb bullets. I took my Lee 230 grain TC bb mould, and very carefully trimmed the bevel base off with a very sharp small blade pocket knife. Now, I have a very desirable flat base mould that works great.
    Yes and Yes... Not from my mold. Got a great deal$$ on this big *** box of boolits! I cannot pry the checks off from them with a screw driver...well... I prolly Can... will do it and report..as of this Writing, I am comfortable with the Accuracy...even if there is a tiny bit of streaking still...it brushes out effortlessly!!!
    And I am More excited about the clean-up rounds anyway!! Easy, Fast, Accurate...tho a bit light!!!

Boolit Master
    As quick followup Dusty was right on with the lla and seat long
    At 950fps it is very usesble, and with heavier load it would seal the chambers better but didnt go there... yet easy enough, quick tumble and seat long. = much improved!!