MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Convert or encapsulate?

Convert or encapsulate?

We decided to keep the old truck , 2003 Tundra, for farm chores and hauling chores. The underside is quite rusty. I was planning on pulling the bed off this summer, replacing the brake lines and giving everything a good painting. Edmunds sells a kit that includes rust encapsulater and frame paint. Other sources say use rust converter and frame paint. Is there any advantage of one over the other?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Remove as much rust as possible. I don't trust the rust conversion coatings. Then apply a chemical conversion coating to the bare metal. Then a primer. Then a paint.

Chemical conversion coating etched the bare metal creating a thin layer of corrosion that prevents the metal from corroding further. The primer is just an adhesion promoter. The paint encapsulate the surface from the environment preventing corrosion.

You could replace the bed liner with Rhino Liner and than any extra paint the under carriage with it. You can order it by the gallon or quart. It was expensive like 30 bucks a gallon when I ordered it 10 years ago. I painted the inside of my aluminum boat with it and it never came off or wore down.

I painted aluminum aircraft for a number of years. Use a sponge roller then lightly push over that with a soft good quality brush using just the bristle tips. It will look like it was sprayed. The technique is called tipping.

Use an regular roller for the rhino liner and don't tip it. Make a nice slip resistant surface.

Mask the surface with a good painter tapes. The Frog tape is the best but any will do. Use that for all edges then use the regular masking tape for the rest. Regular masking tape has a tendency to blend under its edges and you won't get nice lines. Painters tape is designed to help prevent the edges from bleeding but is more expensive. So just use it for the edges then fill in with any ole cheap masking tape.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

It has had a rino liner since 2003. Still in good shape. The frame and under parts are rusty.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

My buddy has been painting cars/trucks/tractors as a side business since 1975...although he retired from that a couple years ago. The latest product he used for frame rust is POR-15. The first time he used POR-15 was the painting for another guy who did a frame-off restoration of a 80s Toyota truck. The stuff works great.

https://www.por15.com/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I never learned all the chemistry going on with the rust converter stuff,
    but when I was a PPG auto refinish distributer and our market was the car body shops--

When that converter stuff hit the market, PPG came right out and said they wouldn't warranty any of their products if they
    were used on top of it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    We decided to keep the old truck , 2003 Tundra, for farm chores and hauling chores. The underside is quite rusty. I was planning on pulling the bed off this summer, replacing the brake lines and giving everything a good painting. Edmunds sells a kit that includes rust encapsulater and frame paint. Other sources say use rust converter and frame paint. Is there any advantage of one over the other?
    I did not check out the Edmunds kits, but something to at least check out, is using Soy Zink paint. Some advantages are ,no sanding, no priming, can be applied with brush or sprayed on, right over existing rust, the more rust the better adhesion, good for 30 years. Disadvantages , as far as I know ONE color grey, it takes a long time to dry, can be up to a month depending how thick it's applied, cost per gallon is $120.00. May be cheaper now.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Master

Eastwood, baby! Excellent products.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    summit offers several options, most time very helpful if you call the Atlanta store

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 472x1B/A View Post
    I did not check out the Edmunds kits, but something to at least check out, is using Soy Zink paint. Some advantages are ,no sanding, no priming, can be applied with brush or sprayed on, right over existing rust, the more rust the better adhesion, good for 30 years. Disadvantages , as far as I know ONE color grey, it takes a long time to dry, can be up to a month depending how thick it's applied, cost per gallon is $120.00. May be cheaper now.
    “No sanding” sounds like treating cancer with aspirin and a Band-Aid.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Phos Pho on old rusty stuff. Has worked well with me.
    Correction: It's Ospho. Knock the loose rust off and apply. After the surface dries completely, paint it.
    Last edited by gbrown; 03-01-2021 at 05:03 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Bub
    If you want another way of stopping the rust you can try this, it works well on Land Rovers (I have had several). Clean all the loose rust off with a needle scaler and a wire brush. Then go to your local NAPA store and pick up a gallon of Fluid Film. Spray the complete underside. It has a wax base and sticks to everything. You can never stop rust, you are just slowing it down.

FYI I just sold my 2003 Tundra last week. I bought a F250 super duty. Funny thing is I miss the Tundra