Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Rem. Rolling block carbine.

Boolit Master

Rem. Rolling block carbine.

I have a NAVY REM. RB. CARBINE, in 50/45 CAL. question, what do I use to make ammo for it, and how do I do it? steps involved? and any loading data, powder / lead heads, ETC. any and all help would be gratefully appreaciated.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    If you have a cartridges of the world publication you can start by looking at BP cartridges with like rim and base measurements. That's a good step regardless of what caliber your dealing with. My guess the 348 Winchester or the 50 Alaskan is where your chances of success will be found. More likely the 50 Alaskan will prove to be the easiest. You'll need a grease cookie underneath your boolit. Let your BP load be determined by your boolit, wad, and any hard card wad or wads used in conjunction to the grease cookie. BP compression and newer brass cases will likely not allow 45 grain load of powder being used with the traditional grain weight boolit. A much lighter boolit might give you slightly more powder in the case.
    Last edited by MOA; 02-27-2021 at 11:32 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I just looked thru the handbook of cartridge conversions and I don't see a 50/45 listed. Is it also called something else?

Boolit Master
    I think this is the best source of information.
    https://www.oldammo.com/january10.htm

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    The US Army 50/70 was the standard cartridge. The round proved to have too much recoil in the carbine and the military round for the carbine was reduced to the 50/45 I believe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This will explain your cartridge. The RB you have may be valuable. Not many in 50-45 were made.

https://www.oldammo.com/january10.htm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If the bullet chosen has grease grooves, a grease cookie isn’t necessary. Load data consists of a black powder charge dropped from 24 inches or so, roughly 0.10” higher than what your overall length would be if the bullet is placed on the powder column. Compress the powder the 0.10”, you may elect to place a waxed wad over the powder to prevent lube migration and insert a bullet. Being a single shot, your overall length is determined by seating the bullet so that it just touches the rifling when inserted in the chamber. No crimp necessary but you’ll probably be wiping with a damp patch between shots in order to chamber follow-on rounds. If you don’t seat that long, a taper crimp is necessary. Given it’s a 50 caliber, 2f is the preferred powder. If you don’t use a drop tube, fill the case with powder and vibrate until powder settles. Compression is still called for. May be more or less than 0.1” for best performance. There a plethora of lube recipes on this forum or internet in general. Midway carries 50 caliber bullets and they’re lubed with SPG, a black powder lube

Boolit Master
    MOA, thank you so much for the information you provided.

Boolit Master
    MOA, makes sense. it is a small carbine. it would cut down on the recoil.

Boolit Master
    Castaway, I have two 50 / 70's both 1870 SPRINGFIELDS. rifles, and they the 50/70's are way too long to chamber in the carbine. I still need to find out what to use and how to make brass up for it? as I rely don't want to damage it. only 500 of the NAVY CARBINES were made. I am inhaling all of the info that you guys are providing me with, thanks'.

Boolit Master
    MOA, I completely missed the site you provided me with, OLD AMMO.COM.10.htm. thank you so much, I at 76+++, rely had a senior moment. no excuse. I am going to study the site. thank you guys.

Boolit Master
    when I bought it the collector told me that it was a NAVY, CAL. 50/45. now I know why? 50 CAL. & 45 grains of BP. I am going to go with 8M/M LEBEL, and 348WINCHESTER. question is just how do I blow them out / fire form them in the small short chamber that the CARBINE has? and how long should they be at final legenth? I don't want to damage the gun. both cartridges are a tapered case.

Well actually cwtebay beat me to the same article. I had not seen his link but it is a good explanation. I think the 50 Alaskan brass may fit better. And only need to be shortened.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A quick search on this forum may solve your problem. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...bine-50-45-400

Boolit Master

I have a m1867 carbine and shoot it quite a bit. .50-45 is just cut down 50-70 to a length of 1.355" . Here is a video of me shooting it after I welded up and remachined the extractor stud.
    https://youtu.be/nZU3DsrW_zQ

Boolit Master
    ndnchf, a great video thanks' for the post. I misstated my RB, it is not a CARBINE but A 50/45 NAVY CADET MODEL. and I finally got two rounds made for it and shot them. I took a 348 WINCHESTER & a 8M/M LEBEL case. cut them to legenth with a DREMMEL and annealed them. turned my 50/70 expander die down all the way, and it was just enough. I then put in 27.8 grains of 2FG, BLACK POWDER, and a GREASE COOKIE, LUBED THE LEAD BULLET WITH SPG. and had to pound the head in with a wooden mallet. and they chambered and fired. the scond tome I loaded them I just put in BP. and lubed the head with SPG, and thumb seated them. they shot fine no keyholes. so it took some time but I gotter done!!!

Boolit Master
    PS. I forgot the 348 case would not exact, the extractor pulled buy it. but fell out when I put a cleaning rod down the barely & and the LEBEL extracted fine. the 348 case rim is about 20 THOUSANTHS smaller than the LABEL CASE!. so I am in business. as for cutting down the regular 50/70 cases, I am a frugal / cheep guy, at the price that they get for them I can't bring my self to cut them up, unless there was no other option. and if and when a 50/70 case should split, them I would repurpose it!

Boolit Master

Well done. Glad you got it shooting! Ain't it fun?

Boolit Master
    yes, fun, fun fun, you are so rite! it is actually ,like shooting a 22CAL. minimal recoil, and the load 27.8 grains doesn't beat the gun up. witch is paramount. they are too valuable to beat up. it is a shame that people keep them as closet queen's. after shooting clean them, protect your investment. as you an tell yes I am happy.