MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Looking for some info, is Rimfire Central Dead??

Looking for some info, is Rimfire Central Dead??

First off, what's going on over at Rimfire Central? It used to be a very busy forum, but I posted this question and looked around last evening and there seems to be very few new threads.

Anyway, I just acquired this rifle and I'm looking for some more info on it. As you can see, the barrel is marked "RANGER Model 36". What is odd is that it differs quite a bit from all the pictures I could find of other Ranger model 36's. In particular, the rear of the bolt is shaped differently, and the large knurled stock screw is ahead of the magazine instead of behind it. Oddly enough, the closest thing I could find to it was actually a semi-auto (model 34?) Of the same vintage. The way I understand it, these were made for Sears by Marlin, and it's essentially a Marlin Model 80.

I also believe the front sight has been changed at some point, and it looks like the sling swivels have been removed and filled in as well for some reason.

I'm guessing this is a very early version of this model, and Marlin made some changes sometime later during it's production life, but that's really just a guess. Any information would be greatly appreciated!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210226_200821.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	278579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210226_200922.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	278580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210226_200942.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	278581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210226_201009.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	278582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210226_201034.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	278583

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Banned
    While I cannot speak for folks at Rimfire Central, I can say there has been someone to always have some idea of what I needed. I have a small collection of odd ball .22's that I am always asking questions about and getting help. My only Marlin is a Model B that needs an extractor and ejector.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
    First off, what's going on over at Rimfire Central? It used to be a very busy forum, but I posted this question and looked around last evening and there seems to be very few new threads.
    They had several mods that worked very hard trying to be as rude as possible a couple of years back. Lots of folks left including myself. Not sure if that related or not.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I assumed it was something along those lines. It's too bad, it was a vast forum with lots of very knowledgeable people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm on RFC almost every day, it is far from dead, as active as any other forum I frequent. And the moderators aren't rude at all.
    Some sections, like the CZ one, are much busier than others.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    They had several mods that worked very hard trying to be as rude as possible a couple of years back. Lots of folks left including myself. Not sure if that related or not.
    Same with me.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I saw that, too. Some of the posters were a bit rough around the edges also. Dunning-Kruger types.

I used to lurk, but the site isn't even on my "Favorites menu" anymore.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Dunning-Kruger types-had to look that up. Polite term for some things that can't be said here.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I posted for some help on my Anschutz trigger adjustment here and over on their forum yesterday just to see if, and how, I would get a response to my question. Never had a response to my question over there but right away I had someone respond here wanting to help. I figured out what the issue was on my own after a good night sleep. It normally takes a good couple of days for a person to post a response on rimfire central, if they even do at all, and a lot of times it’s a snarky response. Should be a fun little rifle OP! Sears, Montgomery Wards, and Coast to Coast were most of my firearms growing up. I just picked up a speedmaster 552 and a Anschutz woodchucker a couple of days ago and just went through and cleaned them up. The sear on the woodchucker was screwed all the way out and the screws on the trigger housing were loose so the bolt would cycle and fire. I adjusted the trigger correctly this morning and all is well. It was missing a magazine so I am on a hunt for a magazine that won’t brake the bank.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-01-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    You mean like, "You don't know what you don't know?"
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    More like you don’t know what you don’t know but are absolutely sure you do! I had to read up on it a while back, was after my college years. Interesting theory that we see in play every day, too.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Same with me.
    that's why i left
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies