Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 cases tight in chamber

Boolit Buddy
    a fired round and factory are the same length within 1/2 thousandth

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P. View Post
    I made a gauge to slip over the rounds that contacts the shoulder so I can compare the lengths of the rounds. My die sizes these military cases about .004 longer than a factory round. I shot 4 of loaded military rounds and they do not get longer when I shoot them but they do get longer when I resize them. They are .004 longer after sizing than before. They will chamber but you have to really muscle the bolt.

https://i.ibb.co/7nXgvWd/20210301-182708.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/BfzHWcx/20210301-184303.jpg
    THAT suggests the the expander ball is pulling the shoulder out on the return stroke of the ram. Obvious experiment is to take the decapping stem out entirely and sizing a case.

Something that over my experience has never happened, but that proves nothing.*

*Maybe because being a lead bullet nut I expand the necks with an M-die in a separate operation.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    THAT suggests the the expander ball is pulling the shoulder out on the return stroke of the ram. Obvious experiment is to take the decapping stem out entirely and sizing a case.

Something that over my experience has never happened, but that proves nothing.*

*Maybe because being a lead bullet nut I expand the necks with an M-die in a separate operation.
    I sized the case without the expander. I think this die just needs a few thousandths ground off atleast in this gun.

Boolit Grand Master

What are you using for case lube and your are lubing the neck?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    What are you using for case lube and your are lubing the neck?
    Using hornady one shot spray lube and lots of it. Yes the neck also

I use one shot myself. I also use imperial sizing wax.

Boolit Grand Master

Using hornady one shot spray lube and lots of it. Yes the neck also
    Are you letting it dry for at least 15 minutes and inside the neck?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Are you letting it dry for at least 15 minutes and inside the neck?
    yes and yes

I sized the case without the expander. I think this die just needs a few thousandths ground off atleast in this gun.
    So much for that theory, then.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Since most possible causes have been eliminate it's going to come down to two things or a combination of both. Your rifle headspace is on the tight side. Your dies shoulder it 4 or 5 thou long. At this point grinding the die should resolve your issues.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...esize.4026908/

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...g-die.3755376/

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...ction.3913245/

Through the years I have seen a surprising number of dies that pushed the shoulder too much. This is the first that didn't move it enough.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-01-2021 at 11:24 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Yup!

Today I went looking to see if I had a spare sizer I could send him, but no luck. Got tons of other -06 stuff, but only one set of dies. Not like me. Not like me at all.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I should have go no go gauges around here. I'll look tomorrow. If I can find them I could mail them up if you want to mail them back when done. That would end the tight chamber debate.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    I should have go no go gauges around here. I'll look tomorrow. If I can find them I could mail them up if you want to mail them back when done. That would end the tight chamber debate.
    that would be great. I would be more than happy to mail them back to you.

Boolit Master
    I just started reloading 30-06 and I have a Rcbs JR3 press and I bought a set of Lyman All-American full length dies. I have a Lee shell holder. When I set my die, I raise the ram all the way up and screw the die down until it contacts the shell holder hard. After I size the cases and put them in my savage axis the bolt will barely close. It seems I need to bump the shoulder back a few more thousandths. Could I just grind a few thousandths off the end of the die to allow for setting it a little closer to the shell plate. I am a machinist so I would be using a precision grinding machine.

o[ooooooooooooooo
    probably got shells fired in a
    machine gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    o[ooooooooooooooo
    probably got shells fired in a
    machine gun.
    I have been figuring that as well. Last night I was FL sizing some TW 5.56 ...... every once in a while I encountered a “hum dinger”! The added pressure was noticeable and that’s with a Redding Boss. Same lube, same technique, plenty of press capability ....... but lots more effort required on certain cases.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Sounds to me like this lot of old military brass is the problem, since you can use once fired brass from your rifle with the full length die with no issues.

I hate to say it, but I would set that lot of brass aside and not modify anything. The US hasn't used .30-06 as a common issue military round in decades. The last I am sure of is the Navy still using M-1's and maybe BAR's in the early seventies. .30 cal Browning's? Probably the 1960's.

Maybe it is age hardened and would be helped by annealing the brass first.

Robert
    x'xxxxxx. xxxxxxxxxxx

Some Army Reserve and Guard units are still using M1 garands and 1906 machine guns as drill weapons.
    When they report for active duty, they are issued and train with m16s.
    When they shoot up that old 30-06 ammo the Machine Gun ammo brass is picked up and sold usually to scrap metal places for sgts beer money.
    Some makes it to gun shows.
    Same goes for .308 brass as well.
    Probably need small base dies to size it at least for first reload.
    Not worth it to buy SB dies unless you have a few thousand shells.

Boolit Master
    I would face the shell holder off. Unless you lock the lock rings down, it doesn't matter if the shell holder has a few thousands removed. Just adjust the die for it when you screw it in.

Boolit Master
    If you like , I have a RCBS small base sizing die you can use for the cost of return shipping

Some of you latecomers need to read the thread.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Some of you latecomers need to read the thread.
    toallmy might be onto something. I know that Jim P. found that the bright marks are on the case shoulders. But I can not say that a small base die will not be a bit more aggressive at increasing head room in addition to reducing case diameter just ahead of the web.

For the price of 2way shipping, why not?

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast